buying land

Hi

We have already owned our house here in France for the last 11 yrs and have have lived here permanently for 3.

Our neighbour has just informed us that he would like to sell the piece of land adjoining ours, and would we like to buy it?

Would we ever!!

This was one of those moments you can normally only dream about - a definite lottery winning moment! because our neighbour has a right of passage across our land right across the front of our lounge window, to the road! We have always wanted this piece of land!!

He is very keen to point out all the advantages to us should we wish to buy it, but we are trying to keep very cool about it, and refrain from snatching his hand off and of course not looking at all too eager - which of course we are!

The land is about 3,000 sq m and can be built on, as it once had a little house on it, although it is landlocked and surrounded on 3 sides by fields.

Is there a generally accepted price for such land? Also we are not too sure now of the steps to take once he has told us how much he would like for the land. I know we will have to go to the notaire to sort things out, but what are the stages to go through to buy it - it's 11 yrs since we bought the house!

Thanks

Carole

[quote user="Rivington"]Is there a generally accepted price for such land? Also we are not too sure now of the steps to take once he has told us how much he would like for the land. I know we will have to go to the notaire to sort things out, but what are the stages to go through to buy it - it's 11 yrs since we bought the house! Thanks Carole[/quote]

Land in any country is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and what someone is prepared to sell it for. So the answer is wait till the seller tells you how much they want, and then decide  (a) how much do you want it? (b) can you afford it ? (c) are you prepared to pay his price? We were offered a piece of land next to our garden and we decided it meant more work more tax, therefor not worth the outlay. 3 years down the line it's still not sold, remember the French in general have very strange ideas of what somethings are worth. As for the buying process ask the Notaire. Good luck

I'd suggest that you fork out a few Euros and have it valued by a good reliable local Immobilier.

Probably worth the €50 - €100 that it might cost you for a written valuation - a handy bargaining tool, because it sounds as though you really want to go for it.

[quote user="Gardian"]

I'd suggest that you fork out a few Euros and have it valued by a good reliable local Immobilier.

Probably worth the €50 - €100 that it might cost you for a written valuation - a handy bargaining tool, because it sounds as though you really want to go for it.

[/quote]

Gardian you are a wag, fancy using good reliable and Immobilier in the same sentence. [:D][:D]

[quote user="Rivington"]

The land is about 3,000 sq m and can be built on, as it once had a little house on it, although it is landlocked and surrounded on 3 sides by fields. Is there a generally accepted price for such land?

[/quote]

It is worth a trip to the Mairie to check the local land plan. Just because a parcel of land once had a property on it does not necessarily mean that the land is still classed the same way.

The Mairie should have either a Plan Local d’Urbanisme (PLU) or a Carte Communale, showing the different zones in the commune, i.e. which is building land, agricultural, protected, etc.

This info will at least give you a better idea of the value of the land.

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Gardian"]

[/quote]

Gardian you are a wag, fancy using good reliable and Immobilier in the same sentence. [:D][:D]

[/quote]

[:D] Nonetheless, it was a serious suggestion. Only somebody local can give a realistic opinion on the value of the land, but Tinabee is right in saying that the OP should check out whether it remains constructible - it could make a lot of difference to the value.

The easiest way to find the value is to see what plots are being offered for sale at on leboncoin in your area.

Around where I live a plot with a current CU [building permission] is around 15 Euros per sq metre.

I would point out that just because it had building permission once doesn't mean it will get it again. The value of land without a CU is considerably less.

However as someone pointed out, its worth what its worth to you to resolve the issues.

http://www.terrain-construction.com/barometre.php

Isn't this link a better indication and then the OP can look up the price that will be expected.  

I looked up my old village and there was an average that reflected land in prime areas that are over 200€m² and those up the mountain and nulle part that is still 75€m², our village had a very big superficie, one main village and lots of hamlets and many properties perdu en montagne.

[quote user="idun"]

http://www.terrain-construction.com/barometre.php

Isn't this link a better indication and then the OP can look up the price that will be expected.  

I looked up my old village and there was an average that reflected land in prime areas that are over 200€m² and those up the mountain and nulle part that is still 75€m², our village had a very big superficie, one main village and lots of hamlets and many properties perdu en montagne.

[/quote]

From your link.

Le prix moyen des terrains est calculé sur la base des 12 terrains pertinents
situés à moins de 10 km de Gourgé, 79200.

Prix moyen du terrain constructible : 25 €/m2

Observation I am a bit dubious about only 12 terrains within 10 kms!!!

Is this a case of the 'other' France then.

I suppose that it will depend which agents they get their figures from as to how many available plots they show. When compared to the areas I know, these figures were pretty accurate really.

Not surprised by that Sue, some prime land in my old village is a little over that price........ and the rest is  cheaper and the worst of it is a third of that price.... but that really is nulle part.

When we bought our building plot, the Notaire in our village was very helpful (we had tried to buy another property which fell through, but had taken the trouble to cultivate the Notaire). He negotiated a fair price to both buyer and seller, some 20% below asking price, and then handled the paperwork for the transaction, acting for both sides.

He even advised a little on building design - don't put the terrace on the north (windy) side!

The fact that he was in the village may be relevant. It's worth making the effort to be sociable.

Incidentally, our local "going rate" is around 200 euros per square metre, in a ski resort in the Alps but 10 mins away from the ski lifts.

[quote user="suein56"]Round us the average price of building land is 222€ per sq. metre.[/quote]

Agree with Idun re prices around and about being v different. Having just relooked at this and a mere one hour away from us near Baud building land drops to 61€ per sq mtr. And less than 1/2 hour away from us at Ambon the price is 147€.

Sue