Help Table D'Hote Menus

Well we are well in to the season and I, hopefully like many, have loads of guests and for the next three weeks have all 'half boarders'. Not to much of a problem normally as I have a rolling menu but I have people coming for three weeks and I don't want to give the same meals twice in their stay.

Starters are not much of a problem but main course and in particular deserts are so I wonder if anyone could give some recipes that are quick and simple for the likes of me an amateur cook. In fact we would compile perhaps a selection of stuff just for Table D'hote. It needs to be simple coz us lot don't have loads of time what with cleaning, scrubbing, phone calls, helping guests etc, etc and vary in our levels of cooking ability. One thing we always have to think about is ingredients especially herbs and spices. Very frustrating when you find a nice recipie then pop out and find you can't get the bits and bobs to make it.

A suggestion - have a couple of BBQ nights, burgers, sausages, chops.

Or, brown off some pork chops in a pan, then in a cup mix up a big spoonful of runny honey and a teaspoon of grain mustard, add half a cup of boiling water and mix well. Pour over the chops and put in the oven for half an hour so they soak up the mix, spoon the liquid over them to keep them moist. Voila, honey and mustard pork chops, always very popular in my house and there's a lovely sticky sauce to mop up with some bread.

Desserts: I'm guessing you want easy ones. Eton Mess: crumble a couple of shopbought meringues into a bowl, cut up a handful of strawberries and mix in some cream, so you get a lovely crunchy, red mess. It is delicious and very summery.

Baked apples: large apple, take the core out and fill the hole with raisins and lemon peel, add a bit of cinnamon and pour honey in. Place in a baking tray with a little bit of water in it and bake in the oven for about half an hour. Very simple and delicious.

I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions but these are good standby recipes that don't need you constantly at the stove.

Ok lets go....

Stuffed baked apples they sold like hot cakes in the deli in Lonon.

But....The filling for the apples was soaked prunes[soaked over night in earl grey tea....or rum...stonless.]

A little soaked dried apricot....chooped...green spice...star anice and a little powdered cinacomn...a few currents and some golden syrup.

Make a big big hole in the apple to get a lot of illing in!
A little xmas pud after boxing day is great at the bottem of the apple.

Toasted slaked almonds are good as a last min finish....serve with a genreous atblespoon of  clotgted cream.

When you make crumble put some ground almonds into the mix.

Now is the time for a little melon soup....fresh lime juice...orange juice...and a little pud wine....and a little runny honey to lift the flavour of the melon....alll gets robo couped.....with a few melon parisian added to the chilled mix.

Melon sorbet....make a stock syrup and add your melon juice mix.

[quote user="nectarine"]A suggestion - have a couple of BBQ nights, burgers, sausages, chops. Or, brown off some pork chops in a pan, then in a cup mix up a big spoonful of runny honey and a teaspoon of grain mustard, add half a cup of boiling water and mix well. Pour over the chops and put in the oven for half an hour so they soak up the mix, spoon the liquid over them to keep them moist. Voila, honey and mustard pork chops, always very popular in my house and there's a lovely sticky sauce to mop up with some bread. Desserts: I'm guessing you want easy ones. Eton Mess: crumble a couple of shopbought meringues into a bowl, cut up a handful of strawberries and mix in some cream, so you get a lovely crunchy, red mess. It is delicious and very summery. Baked apples: large apple, take the core out and fill the hole with raisins and lemon peel, add a bit of cinnamon and pour honey in. Place in a baking tray with a little bit of water in it and bake in the oven for about half an hour. Very simple and delicious. I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions but these are good standby recipes that don't need you constantly at the stove.[/quote]

Funny enough I was going to do pork chops tonight so I think I will give yours a try, I love honey. Many thanks.

[quote user="jon"]

Ok lets go....

Stuffed baked apples they sold like hot cakes in the deli in Lonon.

But....The filling for the apples was soaked prunes[soaked over night in earl grey tea....or rum...stonless.]

A little soaked dried apricot....chooped...green spice...star anice and a little powdered cinacomn...a few currents and some golden syrup.

Make a big big hole in the apple to get a lot of illing in!
A little xmas pud after boxing day is great at the bottem of the apple.

Toasted slaked almonds are good as a last min finish....serve with a genreous atblespoon of  clotgted cream.

When you make crumble put some ground almonds into the mix.

Now is the time for a little melon soup....fresh lime juice...orange juice...and a little pud wine....and a little runny honey to lift the flavour of the melon....alll gets robo couped.....with a few melon parisian added to the chilled mix.

Melon sorbet....make a stock syrup and add your melon juice mix.

[/quote]

Many thanks.

I am a real amateur so you will have to bear with me.

Whats green spice, can you keep the description simple for me.

Can I replace Star Anise with something as we can't get those down here.

What can I use instead of Clotted Cream and Golden Syrup.

I like the sound of the melon soup. I can't get limes but I have some lime juice in a bottle, could I use that? Do you mean a sweet white wine as a pud wine? You have to remember your dealing with a rank beginner here.

If you like honey and want something quick and easy try this.

Mix equal quantities of whole grain mustard and honey. Cut chicken breasts into strips and coat well with the mixture.

When ready, cook the chicken on a hot griddle for a few minutes each side.

Dress some rocket or leaves of your choice with oil, balsamic, s&p .

Put a pile of leaves on the plate and pile some chicken on top.

Crumble some goats cheese over the chicken.

Roast some pine nuts in a dry fry pan and sprinkle over.

Drizzle some honey around the plate.

I serve with some cold griddled veg (peppers, courgettes etc in garlic & oregano) and some bread.

Or you could serve with potato salad ?

Quillan - the Rustica magazine has a week's menus in every edition.

They don't give recipes for all, but I think they are very imaginative menus, and use seasonal products.

Fo example, here is the suggested menu for today:

Melon et sa chiffonade de Parme

Lasagnes aux légumes du soleil

Compote d'abricots au miel.

I guesse that a little lime cordial will work.

Golden syrup...can be replaced with some brown sugar.

Clotted cream can be replaced by the richest cream that you like.There is a product available in our area...it is rich cream...almost like clotted cream.

Green spice is like anice and we purchaced it here in France.....but you can use any spices which take your fancy.....within reason.

Sorry but I personally do not like chicken with goats cheese.....but there you go.

A breast of chicken served with a wrapping of serrano...sauce of blue cheese....just a little cheese thined down with a little cream or chix stock....not roquesfort...oh so saulty...does not work with the ham.This would be good with a little tagatelli flacvoured with aq little chopped basil and olive oil.Roasted tomatoes with thyme and garlic....goes well with this.

Breast of chix in the chinese style.....brushed with honey and soy....or chix marinade if you have a china town near by....cook untill just cooked and then add slivers of ginger,garlic and a little chopped corriander give this a min or two....serve with sauteed spinache...just cooked for a min or so....in a pan with a fraction of olive oil or sesame oil.

Cous cous is easy and soaks up all the flavours.Thats a very simple meal.

Mmmmmm - I use the honey and mustard marinade for all sorts of things, even as a quick salad dressing! Here's a delicious starter or lunch dish that my French neighbour made for us last summer.

TOMATO (and COURGETTE) TART

Bought roll of Pastry - I usually use patè feuillettèe

Dijon Mustard

Sliced ripe tomatoes ( and sliced courgettes if you have a glut)

Finely chopped half a red onion

basil (or small handful of mixed green herbs)

slug of good oilive oil

handful of grated parmesan cheese

Fit pastry into a large flan case (I leave the paper underneath and just trim the edges so that the pastry doesn't stick to the dish - don't cook it on top of the gas flame though!!) Don't worry about trimming the pastry case, flute it so that it stands up; it looks good rustic!

Spread  a dessertspoonful of Dijon mustard over the pastry

Cover the pastry/mustard base with a spiral of sliced tomatoes (and alternate with the courgettes), season with salt and black pepper

Sprinkle with chopped red onion and herbs, then sprinkle well with olive oil.

Sprinkle with parmesan, or add a few slices of goats cheese if you like. (You can also add flaked tuna or a few anchovies)

Bake in medium oven until pastry is brown and tomatoes are cooked.

This is nice hot with a crisp salad and brown bread, but is absolutely delicious cold.

Enjoy.

I did nectarine's pork chops last night and they wnt down a storm. Not bad as its all French people at the moment.

I am sure I am not alone in my quest for quick and easy menue's for Table D'hote so keep them coming guys (and girls of course [;-)] ).

just thought of another brilliant easy starter:

Slice a Beefheart tomato horizontally in two, then sprinkle with salt, a little crushed garlic, some herbs, fresh basil if you have it, and olive oil and place under the grill until bubbling.... or add a slice of goat's cheese as well. Serve on a bed of sliced lettuce. This makes a really substantial and tasty starter and is always a good standby in our house for a snack as well.

Another easy pudding: slice a brioche (or madeleine fingers) and place in individual bowls, Pour a bit of liqueur over ... I've used gin, Archers, Calvados ... doesn't really matter, just something to lightly moisten (not drench) the brioche. Then add a layer of seasonal fruit, strawberries, grapes, whatever is nice a soggy, then a layer of creme fraiche, then top with more fruit and chopped nuts if you have any. Sort of like an easy trifle but looks good and doesn't take more than five minutes to do.

Great sociable starter - though I don't know what the cost works out at is:

Place a camembert in an oven dish, lacerate the top with a knife, then spoon on to the top of the cheese some chopped oil drenched sunripe tomatoes, and add finely chopped garlic and some milled pepper. Place in a very hot oven, and take out when the cheese has started to bubble on top (before the camembert collapses completely, but is still runny and hot). Slice up some baguette for dipping into the cheese. We find one 4/6 inch diameter cheese enough for 4 people. Very filling.

Preparation 5 mins and cooking another 5/8 mins

just remembered another dessert which goes down a storm:

Melt a couple of spoonfuls of butter lightly in a pan, then add either cfresh pineapple cut into chunks, or use a couple of tins of pineapple chunks. Don't let it burn, just lightly warm through. Add some powdered ginger (or cinnamon, either works well) and a large spoonful of sugar. Squeeze in the juice of an orange, and some of the orange flesh. Just keep it warming through and the pineapple will go lovely and soggy and the juices will come out and make a lovely syrup. Serve hot with icecream - this has always been a winner with my dinner guests!

When tomatoes are in season this is a good and easy recipe.

Hard boil and shell one egg per person, cut each egg into chunky slices (approx 4).

Slice each tomato (one per person) cutting about four / five times  almost down to the bottom but leaving the tomato still joined at the base.

Arrange tomatoes on a few lettuce leaves on a flat dish and slot the egg slices into the cut tomatoes.

Serve with mayonnaise or vinaigrette.

If you have any leftover slices of dried sausage you can add these to the dish and add a few olives as well.

I have also served this for lunch as a main dish with pasta to accompany. Would be good for vegetarians without the sausage of course!

P.S.

I do not do Table D'Hote but these recipes are useful for anyone entertaining visitors especially in the Summer.

ouch out come the cans again!
Sliced pinnepple fresh and thickly cut....put into a hot can and scortch with the butter and a little sugar....take off pineapple and scrape the inner black pulp from a vanilla pod into the syrup....slightly burnt.....pour a little of this on the plate with the pineapple portion and serve with rich thick cream or a GOOD vanilla ice cream.The same thing can we achieved with bananas...[nice with a few fresh blackberries in the pan at the last moment]

[quote user="zeb"]Mmmmmm - I use the honey and mustard marinade for all sorts of things, even as a quick salad dressing! Here's a delicious starter or lunch dish that my French neighbour made for us last summer.

TOMATO (and COURGETTE) TART

• Bought roll of Pastry - I usually use patè feuillettèe
  • Dijon Mustard
  • Sliced ripe tomatoes ( and sliced courgettes if you have a glut)
  • Finely chopped half a red onion
  • basil (or small handful of mixed green herbs)
  • slug of good oilive oil
  • handful of grated parmesan cheese

Fit pastry into a large flan case (I leave the paper underneath and just trim the edges so that the pastry doesn't stick to the dish - don't cook it on top of the gas flame though!!) Don't worry about trimming the pastry case, flute it so that it stands up; it looks good rustic!

Spread  a dessertspoonful of Dijon mustard over the pastry

Cover the pastry/mustard base with a spiral of sliced tomatoes (and alternate with the courgettes), season with salt and black pepper

Sprinkle with chopped red onion and herbs, then sprinkle well with olive oil.

Sprinkle with parmesan, or add a few slices of goats cheese if you like. (You can also add flaked tuna or a few anchovies)

Bake in medium oven until pastry is brown and tomatoes are cooked.

This is nice hot with a crisp salad and brown bread, but is absolutely delicious cold.

Enjoy.

[/quote]

Zeb, I've just made that for our tea and Mr. Nectarine is raving about it. Of course I have said that this recipe is entirely my own work and taken the praise accordingly, but I really should pass on (quietly) the credit to you. This is definitely going on the table again in the future!

[quote user="nectarine"]just remembered another dessert which goes down a storm: Melt a couple of spoonfuls of butter lightly in a pan, then add either cfresh pineapple cut into chunks, or use a couple of tins of pineapple chunks. Don't let it burn, just lightly warm through. Add some powdered ginger (or cinnamon, either works well) and a large spoonful of sugar. Squeeze in the juice of an orange, and some of the orange flesh. Just keep it warming through and the pineapple will go lovely and soggy and the juices will come out and make a lovely syrup. Serve hot with icecream - this has always been a winner with my dinner guests![/quote]

I am trying this tonight tonight WITH tinned pineapple (haveing visited Perpignan, Narbonne and Carcassonne and not being able to get a fresh one in either of those places). Let you know how I get on.

Jon - Wheres that info on a French substitute for Cottage Cream ?