Yet another scam?

josid

Has anybody else received an enquiry from a Dr Susan Rice who is working for UNICEF in the UK, sponsored by the US. She asks for details of accommodation and the cost for a two week stay for her and her husband which is being paid for by her sponsors to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversery. All very plausable, especially as she asks to be contacted asap. on her cell phone (UK registered) to discuss arrangements, and also has a link to a US website with details of her career and education in US.

Unfortunately, the REAL Dr Rice, who is Mr Obama's UN ambassador nominee, married in 1992 (20th anniversery???) and although I have a couple of rooms available, I'm not sure that I can accommodate the entourage of armed security guards, which surely must ensure her safety while on holiday!

I smell another rat!!!

I've had the same E-mail, quite a convincing one compared to the usual lot we get untill I started to delve a bit further and googled in Dr Susan Elizabeth Rice and found out she married on 12th Sept 1992. I have tried finding a E-mail address for the formentioned Dr Rice to see if I could fore warn her someone is using her name, but so far no luck.

• 1 month later...

The Greek nuns, monks and priests have been and gone it seems but there is a new one, well I think its new as I have not had it before.:

From Date: Monday 08 2009 June 2009

To Date: Monday 22 2009 June 2009

People: 2

Request

I am planning a surprise honeymoon package for my son and his newly wedded wife with a treat while currently on active duty. The scheduled date will be from 8th - 22nd June, 2009 (14 nights). If this date has already been booked, please advice on the next available 14 nights, total cost for the period including taxes and service charge. Also advise if you accept full pre-payment via credit card and note that I am not disposed to make bank transfer due to my present location. The couple has no pets and don\'t smoke either. l will need to conclude this booking early enough for them to avoid any inconvenience during there stay. Waiting for your response.

The clients would like to be contacted by Email.

Just for the record the email is [email protected] and a phone number is given as +44702408735

So if the date is booked they will change there wedding day to match? Also, some of the English is a bit suspect and the phone numbr does not work.

Miss Firuza Ghochen

mother died when I was just 12 years old, and since then my father took me so special. Before the death of my Father on December21th 2007 he called the secretary who accompanied him to the hospital and told her that he has the sum of Eight Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars.(USD$8.5.000 000) left in one Prime Bank here in Abidjan.

If the above question is yes and I see your desire to assist me, I will offer 30% of the total sum.      

Please contact me through my direct e-mail box ([email protected])

Any takers?

• 2 months later...

Another one from a guy called : [email protected]

Hi, I am an agent with Carve Consultancy, 2 Farringdon Road, London, EC1M 3HN seeking for accomodation in your place. The accommodation required is 4 double rooms to sleep 4 Deligates for 10 nights. The dates desired are July 5th 2009 to July 15th 2009 (10nights). If the desired dates are available, please reply me, stating your group discounted reservation,including all taxes and rates,also the subtotal for the 10 nigths. we will make Advance payment through credit card payment, Indicate if you accept credit card payment. Thanks, Banderas.

The company does exist and they know about the scam, see link below.

http://www.carveconsulting.com/blog/index.php?c=1&more=1&pb=1&tb=1&title=have_you_been_contacted_by_someone_from_

• 3 months later...

This is a new one.

Hello dear, How are you?  My Names are Connie Bloom from London United Kingdom I am working as a contract Engineer at oil refinery off-shore I want to make trendy Trekking booking Training, We are a group coming to train on trendy trekking and we will be needing a reserve room’s for our stay through the period of the training We are 6person’s in number and we will be needing 3room’s for double stay’s tow person’s in a room.

I am inquiring on available dates of 20th oct to 25th oct 2009 and email me back urgently for the availability dates of said period and please email me back with the total cost of the booking both the trendy training and 3double room’s for 6person’s.
I hope you do accept certificate Cheque for payment or credit card and you due have P.O.S/U.P.S Credit charging Facility installed in your office and please we like to have Arena trendy trekking lesson training.

The details of the booking:
Arival dates:20th october 2009
Departure dates: 25th october 2009
6person’s Staying for 4days
Needing 3double room's for 6person’s
Needing 6trendy trekking for the training lesson's.

And pleaes calculates the total cost of the booking both the 3double rooms for 6person’s and trendy trekking lessons training and write me back urgently.

Email me at Address:[email protected]
Office Phone:+44 704 578 6270
Regards,
Connie Bloom.

[quote user="Quillan"]

This is a new one.

Hello dear, How are you?  My Names are Connie Bloom from London United Kingdom ...

[/quote]

LOL - isn't that one just so funny ... I love it.

Just like when we arrived in France and my non-French-speaking other half would want to know the appropriate word to use for some item we needed, he would look in the dictionary, find a list of words, turn casually to me and ask was there a special word we should choose, or ask did it matter that much and could we just use the first in the list?

Sue [:)]

• 9 months later...
This is what a genuine enquiry looks like:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 30 June 2010 14:31

To: undisclosed-recipients:

Subject: BOOKING INQUIRY

Good Day

Sir/Madam,

My name is

Edward Bentner from university of public

health and epidemiology London. It is my pleasure to inquire for

accommodations

in your facility.I want to book reservation for a vacation organized by

our

group of medical experts that will commence on the ist of August 2010

and end

on the 20th August 2010.

CHECK IN DATE: IST AUGUST 2010

CHECK OUT

DATE:20TH AUGUST 2010

I will like you

to provide accommodation for them for the

time period.

About 4/5 rooms will be needed.Please send

me your rates

for both single and double rooms so that reservation will be made

immediately.

I hope you

accept Credit Card Payments and its charging

facilities because that is our outstanding mode of payment. Get back to

me ASAP

so that we can proceed with the booking.Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Tony Hopkins,

60, Rumford Rd

E15 4BZ , London ,

United Kingdom,

+447045714701

Unfortunately we're fully booked, which is a shame.

[quote user="cassis"]This is what a genuine enquiry looks like:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 30 June 2010 14:31
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: BOOKING INQUIRY

Good Day Sir/Madam,

My name is Edward Bentner from

60, Rumford Rd ,

E15 4BZ , London . It is my pleasure to inquire for accommodations in your facility.I want to book reservation for a vacation organized by our group of medical experts that will commence on the ist of August 2010 and end on the 20th August 2010.

CHECK IN DATE: IST AUGUST 2010

CHECK OUT DATE:20TH AUGUST 2010

I will like you to provide accommodation for them for the time period.

About 4/5 rooms will be needed.Please send me your rates for both single and double rooms so that reservation will be made immediately.

I hope you accept Credit Card Payments and its charging facilities because that is our outstanding mode of payment. Get back to me ASAP so that we can proceed with the booking.Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Tony Hopkins,

60, Rumford Rd ,

E15 4BZ , London ,

United Kingdom,

+447045714701

Unfortunately we're fully booked, which is a shame.

[/quote]

I would venture to suggest, Cassis, that it was extremely lucky you were full.

The only "University" which is similar in London, is UCL's Department of Epidemiology and Public Health:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/epidemiology/graduate/msc.html

Any formal jolly by a group of "Medical Experts" whatever that means, would normally be booked via the university's Secretariat: and any contact email address would go via their network mail server and would be something like [email protected].

Genuine academics invariably utilise their mail account all the time: in work or outside.

The English is totally suspect: missing definite and indefinite articles tend to be the giveaway.

And as for the stilted and clumsy grammatical construction..............

Gosh, thanks for the advice, Gluestick.  I'll be more alert next time.  Silly me!   I don't know where my head must have been! 

Happily I'm now just awaiting a company cheque from the United Nations for a group of diplomats visiting the area.

[:)]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

So why head your post as you did?

Contradictary??

[8-)]

[/quote]

Humour? Irony?

I got the joke, that is to say I didnt take Cassis' posting seriously, he is not known for serious postings.

Welcome back by the way Mérguez Man!

We have had several similar recently and all get binned but one gave a web address and it turned out to be an agency in Holland which advertises Chambres d'Hôtes. Their marketing didn't attract us and we didn't bother looking into their rates.

However we did find a site the other day which at first we thought was the internet site for gites de france except they list their prices for an advert and a lot of local CdH appeared on their google map for our department. I think it was chambre-de-hotes.fr. or org.has anyone on the this site tried them.