unregistered CdH's just a moan

Gin62

In the last week, whilst chatting in the supermarkets, 2 different lots of people have commented they have met a couple in the same line as mt self. I am a fully registered Cdh with siret. The other couples these well intentioned people mentioned are unregistered and fail to comply with 1 room , 1 bathroom, one has an extensive website aimed at brits and charges per bed what we charge per room, and the other one  known to me says it is just a bit of pin money.  So whilst I am bitter and jealous especially with one the one with the web site draws in loads of people with very low expectations.  Am suppose to smile and have inner happiness, that I can sleep easily at night, knowing that my paperwork is in order or should I be making wax effigies ans sticking pins in. But for the moment  I will destress with a cup of green tea and sample the new cake recipe.

What's the problem?

Not knowing these other people's circumstances I can't pass judgement on whether or not they are legal, but it can be perfectly kosher to run a small chambres d'hôtes business without having to register and get a Siret number.

If you feel that badly, why not familiarise yourself with Google searches in order to ensure that people find your website in preference to this other one, and show that you offer better value as well as being fully registered and insured? Give them reason to feel bitter and jealous about you.

[quote user="Will"]What's the problem? Not knowing these other people's circumstances I can't pass judgement on whether or not they are legal, but it can be perfectly kosher to run a small chambres d'hôtes business without having to register and get a Siret number. If you feel that badly, why not familiarise yourself with Google searches in order to ensure that people find your website in preference to this other one, and show that you offer better value as well as being fully registered and insured? Give them reason to feel bitter and jealous about you.[/quote]

Exactly and we don't have one either but I think that may depend on what tax regime your registered under. We are inspected by two different organisations every other year, we also pay all our charges, tax's, insurances etc and sleep well at night knowing we are kosher.

I am afraid there are loads of people out there running B&B's which are not properly registered but then that's life and don't think it's just the Brits who do it, the French are just as bad. We know somebody who has a B&B near us, they have pool that you can step in to directly from the terrace with no alarm or fence round it and have only a 'floating' bubble wrap cover yet they take kids, makes me wince because I can see what will happen one day and it will be very tragic. They also say they have a bar that's open every afternoon which is also illegal as they would not have and cannot get a bar licence. Of course if they get a visit they will probably say they were just about to serve a three course dinner. They also have four rooms and only two of those have private bathrooms the other two share. They have given everyone around them a bad review on TripAdvisor and we know they have got friends to write excellent reviews for them and the owner tells everyone he had a massive restaurant on the IOW and was Picasso's private chief. When somebody asked him when the dates he gave were after Picasso had died and somebody else knew him on the IOW and he had a cafe. I particularly liked his story about 17 people staying and he's only got four rooms, sounds very illegal to me.

If life has ever taught me anything it's two things, you make your own luck and what goes round comes around. So get on with your own business and ignore them, they will get caught one day, next week, next month or next year but they will get caught one day.

This kind of thing used to wind me up , but after 7 years we've seen several fail so the next one won't bother me . Any business takes time( and rightly so) to build up a regular loyal clientele ,I think even more so in our field, So we just get on with what we do. Last year ,returners accounted for nearly 30% of our guests.

I try to only worry about things that I can change or influence , but Q right what goes round comes around and you can drive yourself round the bend worrying about other CDH owners do or think just let then get on with their bad way of doing things