For those who use Paypal

Babbles

Does anyone know how to change the language settings when you send an invoice via Paypal , as its a French bank account it is automatically sent with French instructions even though I have my account settings in English which does confuse some of our clients, if they have a Paypal account already it reverts to there chosen language and no problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

No you can't change it but there is another way.

We don't send an invoice, we have a 'hidden' page on our website (by that I mean you don't see it in the navigation structure). This page has generated code produced by PayPal that allows the client to click on it (it produces a nice PayPal icon with text in their language) and enter the amount you have told them to send regardless of if they have a PayPal account or not. I usually send a copy of the receipt to the client with a copy of the amended reservation letter showing the deposit paid and the amount outstanding. You can generate the code in many languages so we have English, French, German, Spanish and Dutch as they are where most of our guests come from. The rest will have to make do with ether French or English. I believe you can only do this if you have a 'merchants' account and not just an ordinary account. We have a computerised system that does all this (reservation letters, invoices, personalised welcome packs etc)  in most languages automatically for us, it also produces marketing reports which helps us choose our advertisers for the following year.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Babbles"]Does anyone know how to change the language settings when you send an invoice via Paypal , as its a French bank account it is automatically sent with French instructions even though I have my account settings in English which does confuse some of our clients, if they have a Paypal account already it reverts to there chosen language and no problem. Has anyone else experienced this?[/quote]

We have the same issue. Some people manage without difficulty, others give up as soon as the French Paypal page appears. We include instructions in the invoice on how to get past the first couple of pages that appear on the Paypal site. Once the client gets to the card payment page, the first thing that they have to select is "Pays". As soon as "Royaume Uni" is selected from the drop down list then the page displays in English (You may need to explain to some that "UK" in French is "Royaume Uni"). It should be straightforward from there. We have found that this helps most but not all of our clients.

We will be investigating Quillan's much better solution. Potentialy very useful - Thank you