Three in a Bed

Val_2

We just love this programme which is currently set in the USA and on channel 4 at 13.05 or 4+1 an hour later. The english ones were good and to behonest, I would be afraid to enter some of them as they as so perfect. Anyone else watching and enjoying and I would imagine there are tips galore for those in this trade wherever. The USA places are not for me though,could not imagine eating any of that breakfast food apart from the fresh fruit,you can why they are all fat.

Hi to you. Grits, not sure what they are apart from the gravel we used to get embedded in our knees as kids after falling over.

I could not believe all that food,I never touch breakfast apart from a coffee and OH just has his two slices of sugar free toast and low sugar marmalade. Do the americans eat lunch as well? because I surely could not and some of them must exercise like mad not to become obese.

Grits, well I had to try them as I had heard of them and it was greyish and gritty, some sort of cereal. Not my thing, there are other breakfast cereals I don' t like either like weetabix.

I don't know what people eat for each meal in the states. Unless on holiday, I will have some fruit an hour or so after I get up, other than that I don't bother, but on holiday, we tend to have a good breakfast and then an evening meal. Not all americans are fat, some are, but not all by any means and there are plenty of clothes in the shops that were far too skinny for me.

I've only been two and a bit times, but I've really enjoyed where I've been to and the food, for we have had some really good food there including lobster sandwiches in McDo's in New England and very nice they were too.

If I'm not watching anything else, I'll give this series a go as I enjoy the british version.

I'm annoyed because I have it on to record automatically but because it had changed its name, that didn't happen today.  I've put it right for tomorrow.

I often wonder if those who go all out to win at all costs (by marking down their rivals etc) realise how mean minded they appear to their real potential customers (us) and how much business they can lose as a result.  There was a woman on the other day who was so foul to one of her fellow contestants (who had had the temerity to complain about the dog hair on the sheets) that I would never darken her door in a million years, even if her place had been the best on the planet.

I couldn't do a B&B,we have four cats and a dog and you can never get rid of every single hair or tuft of fur nor paw prints from wet feet either,plus my Shiba has a scream peculiar to his race and also howls along to us singing so it would be far too noisy. My daughter even had a cat hair in her dinner last night even though the crockery had come from the dishwasher, they just get everywhere. I think I remember that one with the bed hair, the woman owner had maine coon cats and they were enormous and everywhere. I agree though, the impression of the landladies/lords are more important than winning because end of the day, I wouldn't want to stay somewhere with miserable,snooty or rude people.

[quote user="Val_2"]The USA places are not for me though,could not imagine eating any of that breakfast food apart from the fresh fruit,you can why they are all fat.[/quote]

I found US breakfasts, especially in the south, delicious, even the hominy grits - in moderation. Far better than the par-cooked 1950's transport café fare served up as "full english breakfast" in the UK these days.

The only thing that put me off my food down there was Jodie Mason recounting hilarious tales of how he drove down the highway from the bar on a Saturday night in Mississippi, knocking over the ni99ers on the side of the road by opening the passenger door.

Jodie, you were a likeable guy in many ways, but you may be finding it a little warm now if all the stories are true.

Myself, I regret not expressing my feelings a bit more strongly a few years ago.

I spent 30 years visiting Dallas on business and the first time - in the mid 70s - I was amazed at how complicated it was to order toast (to go with the excellent crispy bacon!) at breakfast.

There were so many different types of bread available it took the waiter 5 minutes to get my order on to his pad!

[quote user="Val_2"]I couldn't do a B&B,we have four cats and a dog and you can never get rid of every single hair or tuft of fur nor paw prints from wet feet either,plus my Shiba has a scream peculiar to his race and also howls along to us singing so it would be far too noisy. My daughter even had a cat hair in her dinner last night even though the crockery had come from the dishwasher, they just get everywhere. [/quote]

It is likely to have dropped from your clothing onto the food, Val.

I am neurotic about cat and dog hairs on bedding and in food. But no animals allowed in bedrooms helps and the hairs that drop into food are often transferred from clothing so when I make up rooms or cook I am scrupulous about wearing clean clothes and I don't touch any animals while I'm in "clean" mode. With care, it is manageable.

When cooking, I also "de-hair" myself regularly with a length of sticky tape and that, plus wearing a hair-less, bib-front apron seems to work. And wearing my hair back too when preparing food because it's not just animal hairs that get around.

And yeah, one of our cats "sings" to guests through a small gap at the bottom of their bedroom door if he gets the chance! [:-))]

Well I hope they don't use some of the places we have been to over the years to carry out building/renovation works etc.Some of the properties that had rental cottages alongside the main houses we worked on, I wouldn't let my animals stay in they were so dirty and furnished with stuff from the local déchetterie. We found so many people letting places whilst the rest of the main property was still a building site or pigsty but ocassionally there was a gem or two. I think the proper french notion of B&B is living en famille, same food at same time and table and using same bathroom etc, i.e. no frills or gimmicks

we have just heard from a Ch4 researcher & reading between the lines of her questions they are looking for people who are going to be competitive, bitchy, picky, critical & a general pain in the proverbial.....plus they want to film during the winter months, so we are not interested, but it should make good viewing.....

• 2 weeks later...
There is a saying in business, something along the lines of "It can take months, years even, to build up a good business but it can be destroyed in minutes". Also what you think is excellent another can think terrible. These people are only interested in creating a show to entertain and make money, you and your B&B are only secondary. Proceed at your peril is my personal advice. If it does go badly I wouldn't expect any sympathy if it were me. On the other had it may go incredibly right for you and could potentially make you a load of money but the type of client you would get would be the type that watches the show. If it's the type of show you personally watch then all is well, if not then think about it.

very sound advice as always Quillan.....we do watch the show but only because we are in the same business....if we were still in the UK in our old professions would probably not be interested as we tend to avoid watching reality shows normally......  I do however, know of a place in France which was featured on Grand Designs approx 8 yrs back who are still fully booked due to constant re-runs of the show.......so maybe it can be beneficial....  However, another well know B&B which had its own mini-series a few years ago has some dreadful reviews on TA from possibly the sort of people who watched & then visited to deliberately 'pick holes'........ it takes all sorts & one nasty review can ruin you....  Will watch the 3 in a bed series in France however, as it will be interesting to see who does agree to take part.  If the long, hard winter we are forecast does materialise though, the programme will not sell some regions of France to the viewing public.

Having watched a few of these shows now and trying to watch from a potential guest's perspective, I think the most important thing is for the owners to be honest and not vote (pay) tactically when reviewing the other properties.

When someone struggles for a reason to justify paying £20 less than the room rate despite the fact the room, location and service clearly justifies the full price, I think it makes them look somewhat maniupulative and mean-spirited. Having got that impression, I wouln't choose to book their b&bs.

As an aside, I'm not warming to most of the cooked breakfasts I've seen - which surprises me. I think bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms etc just looks a jumbled mess on a plate and quite unappealing.

Edited to add:

The real danger with shows like this is how the production teams apparently try to wind participants up so they are more "screen-worthy" than just being straightforwardly normal, pleasant and businesslike would make them.

[quote user="Catalpa"]When someone struggles for a reason to justify paying £20 less than the room rate despite the fact the room, location and service clearly justifies the full price, I think it makes them look somewhat manipulative and mean-spirited. Having got that impression, I wouldn't choose to book their b&bs.[/quote]

Well that's the other thing. Imagine you own a place, do the show and people give you 20 Euros less per night, would you then drop your prices by 20 Euros because when somebody turns up who has seen the show they may turn round and say "we are giving you 20 Euros less per night because on Three in a Bed that's what they said the room was worth". In this business once you start dropping your prices (discounting) your on the downward slope because everyone will want the discount and before you know whats happening your be running at a loss. The only discount we offer is on seven nights or more as clearly indicated on our website etc. When people say that the B&B down the road is cheaper, hoping you will drop your price to match, I tell them to stay down the road then. They normally phone back ten minutes later and book at the going rate.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I think bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms etc just looks a jumbled mess on a plate and quite unappealing.

The only meal worth eating in YUK!

Dont know why they dont serve it three times a day.

[/quote]

Well you have not tasted 'my' cooking have you and all of it is worth eating[:P]

cheeky!

I have to admit that many of those platefuls look very appetising.

I usually cook really well, although my serving is not good, if things look like they have been slung onto the plate, my guests should always be thankful, as it could easily have ended up on the table or floor!

Best when I just put all the terrines on the table and let folks help themselves.

well having asked around and seen what you guys say we've decided against, the researcher was all sweetness and light trying to make out it would all just be lovely....... she just came over as trying to be manipulative so probably best avoided. At the end of the day we've 5 suites and once your full your full we're quite selective where we advertise so I don't think it would be a good idea opening up to a free for all.