Found the house... now what to call it !!!

Louise

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilko wrote:

Simply "La Maison de l'Eglise" followed on your site by the name of the village. Then everyone will find it! How does that work then ?? W

Well, people can usually find the Eglise in a village.

Christine ..........our wires slightly crossed. La Maison d'Eglise is fine but I don't see how that name works for an i/net search, which i would imagine is more important if you are setting up a new chambre d'hotes, though I agree once you have the booking it will be easier for guests to find you, though as more than 70% of our guests have GPS, finding us no longer a problem

W

[quote user="idun"]

[quote user="idun"]So Chez Loulou, after yourself?[/quote]

Already suggested by 'me'[Www] Norman[:D]

[/quote]

Someone had suggested that to me before but wasnt too keen on it (sorry to anyone who has a similar name)....Not sure why...

Really am hopeless with all this naming thing... I uses to breed bengals and could never think of names for the kittens so they just got called little one, big one or it !!!!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="idun"]I don't suppose that you saw Stephen Fry last week discussing minority languages. He interviewed someone from L'Academie and they had no time whatsoever for any other languages in France, but FRENCH, occitan was certainly not to be considered a language of LBF![/quote]

Yes, id, very interesting and I tried to ignore Fry (not easy!)  I've gone right off Fry but the programme content was good.

Strangely enough, I can read Occitan and understand quite a bit of it, certainly as much as I would Welsh (another minority language!)

I have 2 French friends (well, one of them is more of a neighbour really) who were both crowned La Reine de Fête (on different years) for their mastery of the Occitan language.  This festival takes place every two years in our area. 

[/quote]

Val d'Aran, province Lleida, last piece of Occitania with Occitan as an official language;

Aranais similar to gascon.

http://www.conselharan.org/images/Articulos/DESEME08/IMNE%20NACIONAU%20D%27ARAN.pdf

P.S. Tonite on france 5 TV..

Le périgord, suaire de l'humanité.[:)]

http://www.programme.tv/echappees-belles-3881775.php

As you know, Gem, I don't even particularly like sweet things but, since giving up booze (only temporarily, methinks), I seem to want sweet things all the time.

I've even taken to eating sweet pastries and biscuits![:-))]

Sorry, Louise, I am mindful of a name for your place.  Perhaps you can call it something with the name Sweet in it?[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Sorry, Louise, I am mindful of a name for your place.  Perhaps you can call it something with the name Sweet in it?[:D]

[/quote]

No worries....[:)] Keep thinking though.....[:)]  Sweet Dreams..???? Bit corny perhaps... whats that in french, does anyone know ?

Quatre Saisons is a good one... yes we do plan on opening all year round. I have seen that somewhere before so would just need to check it is not in the department...

I really am so rubbish at this - I know it once I see it.... Still liking the La Charanta but from the rest of the conversation not sure if thats a no no due to the language not being used ?????

'Maison des Beaux Reves' Louise and with the somptueux beds you are going to buy it shouldn't be difficult! Or how about 'Clos' something or other?  'Chambre d'hotes des Quatre Saisons' has a lovely ring to it, too. Do you know what is under the rendering of your house - cut stones or moellons?

Sweets, the Freixenet was accompanied by a sort of Eton Mess pud made with raspberries and creme fraiche and my hopeless mereingues. Tasted ok but looked...... a mess!

Im not sure what is under there.... think its stone but not straight ones... but we are not going to strip it back - There arent any other house near by with bare stone so think it would stick out...

Is clos view of ? We can see the graveyard but dont think that would go down too well.  [:)] We have a square pavillion type structure opposite which apparantly used to be the old bank.

Is Beaux Reves - sweet dreams ? Just being too lazy to look it up in the dictionary....

Its difficult to describe the style of our house... Its very square and symetrical. I think it was built about 1850

Clos is traditionally, a walled vineyard, although the term is much abused on wine labels.

My house is Clos **** from when we vinified wine here. The cuves have gone but the name remains and I'll keep it just for sentimental reasons.

I think you will know the right name for your home when you hear it - it will just sound right.

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="idun"]I don't suppose that you saw Stephen Fry last week discussing minority languages. He interviewed someone from L'Academie and they had no time whatsoever for any other languages in France, but FRENCH, occitan was certainly not to be considered a language of LBF![/quote]

Yes, id, very interesting and I tried to ignore Fry (not easy!)  I've gone right off Fry but the programme content was good.

Strangely enough, I can read Occitan and understand quite a bit of it, certainly as much as I would Welsh (another minority language!)

I have 2 French friends (well, one of them is more of a neighbour really) who were both crowned La Reine de Fête (on different years) for their mastery of the Occitan language.  This festival takes place every two years in our area. 

[/quote]

Val d'Aran, province Lleida, last piece of Occitania with Occitan as an official language;

Aranais similar to gascon.

http://www.conselharan.org/images/Articulos/DESEME08/IMNE%20NACIONAU%20D%27ARAN.pdf

P.S. Tonite on france 5 TV..

Le périgord, suaire de l'humanité.[:)]

http://www.programme.tv/echappees-belles-3881775.php

[/quote]

Rather expected something "twee" but in fact was pleasantly surprised at the interest provoked by the programme. I'll probably watch it again.

I have just read the original post in order to keep a fresh mind .. [:)]

I would suggest       Bel Air ; 

Le grand Logis ; 

Le clair Logis

La belle époque

La butte aux hirondelles

Le clos fleuri

My favourites being   Le grand Logis   and   la belle époque

The house looks like it has a lot of stairs - what about a name related to that - "The House of 87 Steps"?  Mind you, that might put off people with reduced mobility!  I agree with whoever said there might be a clue in the house's history - "The Old Rectory" or "Smuggler's Retreat" sounds like it has more character than "The Willows".  Will you have any pets there? -  "The House of the Spotted Cat"......or a decorative theme throughout? - "The House of the Blue Vases"......  [:D]

Chrissie (81)

Le Clair Logis is a house building company in my region and they built my house.

Try this

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/

Then type in the name you like, ie I put in Le Clair Logis and this is what came up

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/trouverlesprofessionnels/rechercheClassique.do?portail=PJ

And then you can see if the name is already in use for something ie I typed in Les Quatre Saisons in the region, Pays-de-la-loire and this lot came up

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/trouverlesprofessionnels/rechercheClassique.do?idContext=401402456&portail=PJ

I use the yellow pages a lot. http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/

Evening all.

Thanks Frenchie... I would like the name in French. I will look up the meaning of those you suggested and look at all the other suggestions and see if I can narrow it down, or at least to the type of name.... will look in the "yellow pages" too and see if anything there grabs me..... I never thought it would be so hard... !!! I do appreciate all of your help [:)]

Maison Chouette (going back slightly to the owl theme - so you could have a hanging sign, or a painted emblem or something - but also meaning pretty)

Maison Fleurie (commits you to having flowers outside all year though)

Maison Carree (wish I could do accents!)

Maison de Reve (ditto)

Maison Douillette

Looks a lovely place!

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]Maison Chouette (going back slightly to the owl theme - so you could have a hanging sign, or a painted emblem or something - but also meaning pretty)
Maison Fleurie (commits you to having flowers outside all year though)
Maison Carree (wish I could do accents!)
Maison de Reve (ditto)
Maison Douillette

Looks a lovely place!

Angela
[/quote]

Thanks Angela [:)]

I am going to look up some of the meanings but like the sound of some of them. I'm going to print these pages off and have a proper read of all of the posts and try to narrow it down a little.

By the way - does anyone know what Allouette means - the song popper in to my head earlier

[:)]