In The news

So we are at the end of the first year of our French adventure in the Loire Vally. Its had its ups and downs and been a huge learning curve taking a property of the size of Chateau Milly and turning it in to a weight loss boot camp is not for the faint hearted.

Some would say we were mad opening a new business in such an unstable economic climate but we have proved them wrong and are looking forward to 2012.

Two weeks for January are already fully booked and things are shaping up well.

The climax for the year was landing a spot in Tatler's 2012 spa guide ;-) Will it bring in more bookings who knows ! But its a great convincer to have on our website.

Post edited by the moderators for copyright issue.

"Naughty, naughty, a bit to much like blatant advertising me thinks, which is against the rules! "

I really wouldn't worry about that. I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect there's not a single contributor (lardy or otherwise) to this forum who is in the market for a week's slimming holiday at two and a half grand.

Some of us have houses worth less than that.

No we have never advertised in Tatler nor do we pay for advertising in any magazine or news paper. The only concesion is the journalist stays for free as they are reviewing us.

A magazine like Tatler are very critical if your establishment is not the best you won't appear in the magazine.

Posting the article was not intended as advertising on the forum but more the joy of being voted in to a prestigious magazine. I have posted many times on the forum and have never overly self promoted.

Thank you very much Catalpa your words mean a lot ;-)

From your website it seems you are already well established... venturing further afield sounds a good business plan and property in France is relatively cheap.  guaranteed further success.

I imagine at some point you will want some local contacts and more publicity.

Good luck for the future

Congratulations Nubeginnings, you have all worked very very hard and deserve every bit of success [:D]

I am now 26kg lighter than I was 9 months ago, lighter and fitter than I was in my teens, it has taken close to 4 decades to finally crack it.

I started running during les vacances as all the keep fit classes stopped, I had not ran since school 37 years before and I was always the last then, 5 weeks after starting from zero I ran a semi marathon in just over 2 hours.

May the future remain bright for you [:D]

I think it's great you are doing well. We are all struggling to some extent during these straightened days, but don't forget to enjoy y'selves. I seem to remember you are horseriders ( from a photo?) and that's what i'm making the most of during this glorious autumn. It does wonders for the head!!

[quote user="water rat"]BTW I see you do boxing. My brother is a pad-boxing coach and I rather skeptically had a go ....... what a buzz!! it's great for those who don't really like exercise.[/quote]

Boxing is one of our most popular activities along with playing about in our forest.

This is some of what they get up to its hard work but fun. Who needs a gym when you have the great out doors ;-)

Nubeginnings,

"Well you would be wrong."

Please do not misunderstand me. I am a very firm believer in rewards for those who get off their backsides, stop moaning about others being well off and just get on with it and become successful. Good on you and it's great to see a successful business set up in France.

I too have earned a few bob with my efforts over the decades and will spend money on something I think worth it. The key words are "something I think worth it". A mate of mine is paying £20 per month for Weightwatchers and is delighted to spend the money as he's lost 2 stone in four months. To me that's a waste of money as I've been able to lose nearly as much, from a lower initial weight, in 6 months for free. It just took some education and huge willpower.

I cannot imagine ever paying £2.5k for a week away - ever. I've had a week's full board in a top notch place in the Caribbean, airfare included, for rather less than that.

So, coming back to my initial statement - I am genuinely surprised (but delighted for you) that there are many people who are content to pay that sum to stay with you especially I suspect the type that contributes to this forum.

Again, congratulations and perhaps I ought to get out a bit more.

They say the best form of advertising is word-of-mouth recommendation, and when you receive the opportunity to feature in a prestigious magazine, it is an opportunity not to be missed and I hope the article generates further business for NuBeginnings.

A word of caution though. I've been on the receiving end of similar offers where on the promise of an article, one provides a reporter with a freebie for a week. The promised feature then fails to materialise due to various reasons and lame excuses, yet uncredited photographs appear in association with other articles!

The scam of obtaining freebies is nothing new, as a friend who works for an independent production company explained to me. Those suppliers who were happy to provide 'samples' or services free of charge for review, would fair far more favourably in reviews than others who provided returnable items, or placed limited conditions on their services available for review.  

We get many purported journalist wanting to revue us, we always contact the magazine to verify the journalists credentials and to ensure they are actually going to carry out a revue.

We have never had a journalist stay who has embellished a story for our benefit.

The journalist has no connection and is attending to give an independent revue for there readers.

Well Done and Good for you, times are hard and we're all looking to expand our offering to entice people in, and great media coverage is key.

It does make me laugh that people seem to think the ultimate is going to the Caribbean or a Cruise, my idea of hell and would much rather have an authentic experience in France, what ever floats your boat I suppose.

• 1 month later...

[quote user="Nearly Retired I am now"] It just took some education and huge willpower. [/quote]Only somebody who finds losing weight easy would put "just" and "huge willpower" in the same sentence.  Not everybody has the willpower. That's why they need the help.

Well done you.  And you helped out three cats (and their distressed owner) into the bargain.

I say chaps and chapesses, to my disappointment I do not believe that the average member of this forum is a Tatler reader. Must admit this type of R&R sounds rather spiffing and might help me pursuade the old wifey to cut down on the G&T's and After Eights. After all being a City banker these days is rather stressful, in that everytime I go to work in the Ferrari I get the most dreadful looks and rather rude gestures from these working class types!

Recession, what recession!

Tally Ho!!

[quote user="Chancer"]

Congratulations Nubeginnings, you have all worked very very hard and deserve every bit of success [:D]

I am now 26kg lighter than I was 9 months ago, lighter and fitter than I was in my teens, it has taken close to 4 decades to finally crack it.

I started running during les vacances as all the keep fit classes stopped, I had not ran since school 37 years before and I was always the last then, 5 weeks after starting from zero I ran a semi marathon in just over 2 hours.

May the future remain bright for you [:D]

[/quote]

Thats rather a broad assumption. Given that we have had a few clients that are members of various French forums I will have to disagree with you. As you can see from Chancers post he has in fact stayed with us twice.