Folding a fitted sheet

Being a bear of very little brain I have never been able to neatly fold a fitted sheet, ending up insted with a ball of creased material.  Yesterday, while looking for somthing entirely different, I stumbled upon this Instructable

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Fold-A-Fitted-Sheet/

First time I ended up with a perfectly flat rectangular parcel!  (OK I admit that the 2nd and 3rd times I got it wrong but a bit of practice and it works!)

OK not a life-changing event but such things make me happy so I thought I would share it with all you good people

I lie the sheet on the floor, turn all 4 edges in, then fold as wanted.

Ironing (only if it's 100% cotton ): Go around all 4 edges first, then iron the centre like a normal sheet.

Clair - who is the person at the bottom of your messages?

I cant make head or tail of the instructions even whilst looking at the photos, has it been google translated?

Shame the youtube video doesnt work, it is something I really need to crack before I have tenants and which presently makes me feel quite inadequate [:(]

Folding fitted sheets, just like changing the duvet cover, those are two jobs I loathe with a vengeance, and am hopeless at.

Someone showed me how to do both though. I can now do the duvet cover changing (putting it inside out, hold the corners, and whoosh) whereas before I used to have to get inside and on several occasions it got rather claustrophibic, like a diver who can't find the right way up [:'(]

The folded fitted sheet I have never been able to master, even though it looked so simple when someone else was doing it.

Patf, if I did it your way, I would have to hoover the floor first, so that's yet another job![:D]

Christine, the video you gave is similar to mine except the lady puts the corners inside the first whereas with the Instructable you start with 2 corners and place one on top of the other then follow with the other corners, again on top (I pile them up on my left hand I suppose as I'm right-handed).

It's easier with a single sheet to start with as the folds don't get caught up so much.

For an encore, I also found a quick way to fold a Tshirt

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fast-way-to-fold-a-T-shirt/

I have three lots of pillow cases, 60x60, 80x80 and rectangular, which is the only thing I do iron and for all I did a good triage last year, they all seem to mixed up now and I cannot tell which size I have in my hand until I unfold it and it drives me bonkers.

So at the moment, my sheets, the flat remain flat as do the couette covers, but by volumn alone I can tell which is which, but WHY would I want to fold my fitted sheets flat? I don't want to fold my fitted sheets flat, I'd end up with all these sheets unfolded looking for the fitted ones.

I never iron sheets, although, IF I have guests and they appear a little too creased, I put them on the bed and then run the iron quickly over them, easy peasy and not something I do very often at all.

Folding fitted sheets.............. what an idea[:D]

I wish that all sheets and duvets were labelled as to size - it's hard to be sure between say a double and a king at first glance - and that duvets were labelled for 'side' or 'end' again problematic with king or super kings.

Idun - I am with you. Ironing is a vastly over-rated occupation!

Pouyade

Its certainly not something that I am looking forward to [:(] but as a landlord of meublée de tourisme unavoidable.

I am ashamed and i suppose proud in equal measure to say that from when I left the ratrace in 2004 until about a year ago I only got the iron out under extreme duress, probably once a year, have never and will never iron my own bedding.

When I lost all the weight last year the iron got pressed back into service as I dug out all my old smart clothes, I went through 2 complete changes of wardrobe in 6 months and I have to admit now that I feel better in and about myself I do take more care of my appearance which does sadly include ironing, however I have compensated by dropping off on the housework [6]

I am hoping that most of my guests being French and on mutation will bring their own bedding, I intend to offer a linen pack at extra charge and to hand it to the clients hence the need to nicely fold the fitted sheets, those of you with gites/meublée do you find that UK clients expect bedding and are offended to pay for it?

I bought one of those ironing presses very cheap from a depôt de vente, it will be OK for duvet covers and pillowcases but I reckon ironing the fitted sheets on the bed is a great idea.

[quote user="idun"]I never iron sheets... Folding fitted sheets.............. what an idea[/quote]

I iron sheets for the paying guests in the gite. It helps to support the idea that they're getting something a little bit extra.

As for folding them, it helps to keep them tidy when you have 3 or 4 sets for each bed, again for the gite... [:)]

Chancer, if it is a paying business, then you just get on with it and get the ironing and cleaning for that matter done. French people probably will bring their own, although I would have good breathable waterproof mattress covers on the beds. Stops the mattresses from staining. I know they are not cheap, but when there is a Blanc sale they are often on offer.

I remember when I had to take our first mattress to the tip in France. What with the very hot summers and apparently both of us sweating like pigs in the heat, it looked like body shapes had been drawn onto the mattress, as per a murder crime scene. I was very embarrassed at the time. Since then I use breathable waterproof mattress covers and even when the mattress has had it and has to go out, they look quite new.

Hi all,

OMG how sad am I .............fascinated and depressed about even contemplating folding a fitted sheet I just had to read this thread.

I must be very very bored today........BUT.... I found this on you tube and have done it with my "all round elasticated fitted sheets"....................it Bl***y well worked !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTtpI-1zOw&feature=related

now for the next 20 !!!

have fun.

Mel.

[quote user="Patf"][quote user="Clair"][quote user="Patf"]Clair - who is the person at the bottom of your messages?[/quote]

It's me, aged 10...

[/quote]

You look a right little mischief!

[/quote]

[:D] I was (and am still) an angel [Www]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Oh Clair, sooooo mignone!

Are you just as cute today?[/quote]

Add a good few cm all around and paint the hair white, and you'd recognise me in if you met me in "real life"! [:)]

"How to fold a fitted sheet" it says at the top so it went in the "threads to ignore" pile (even though started by Pierre who often makes me spill my tea on the computer as his pithy ripostes make me giggle).  However, now that it's reached three pages I just had to look in and the first two pages really are about....  housework![:-))][:-))][:-))]  (Besides, you don't fold 'em - you roll them in a ball and stuff them in the back of the cupboard.  Or, if pushed, stick them on the bed and iron in situ.)

Quite a relief to find you've now moved on to the subject of Clair's signature pic.  Phew.  Normal service resumed.[:)]

Yeah, I never imagined that this thread would run so long!

I was always a 'roll them in a ball and stuff them in the back of the cupboard' type of guy but it did vaguely annoy me that I couldn't fold them like they originally came out of the packet so, when by chance, I found out how to do it I just had to share [:P]

When I started to fold everything in sight my wife did comment  'You know you have to take the medication every day don't you'

Just for Coops, I will try and find 'How to remove tea from a keyboard' [;-)]

OK, back to the signature pic, nice one Clair [:D]