Anybody out there?

Well I am still here and still taking bookings if only in dribs and drabs till the end of the year and have a couple of reservations for next year.

I would think that quite a few may have moved on, we have lost five B&B's in a 10km radius within the last three years, the last one went this year.

I read in another forum somebody telling another person to rent out one room under AE so they could get in the health system here. Claimed they only had 800 Euros worth of bookings per year but it was enough to allow them to stay in the system, how true that is I have no idea.

I have had a look on Laymyhat but it is more 'International' with owners from all over the world with just a few French posters so not so interesting to me personally.

We've done surprising well this year which I think is partly due to other B&B's closing and restaurants too. I don't think many who start this kind of business realise how hard it is and we're having to work harder in these tough times. I'm still enjoying it though and we've just picked up a booking for New year's eve for the first time.

Good luck to everybody who's still at it!

W Rat

• 2 months later...
I think a lot of people who were here from a few years back have sold up/locked up and gone back to Blighty...it surprises me that anyone with any sense still has 'the dream' of moving to France to do B&B/Gites these days. It just ain't worth it.

• 1 month later...

We are still here.

I agree we are having to work harder and choose where we advertise more wisely but getting around the same number of visitors.

Has anyone swiched from the micro-bic system to auto ent?   Is it easy to do, worthwhile?

We are paying tax and social charges but not paying into the health system becasue had to put in 5 tax returns.  We pay 100% medical cover - now put in 5 tax returns so could pay in but not sure if it is worthwhile or not or whether we are better to carry on with what we are doing now.