Hostel - Chambre D'hotes or Hotel??

Hi all, hope someone can help.  I have been trying to find out whether or not the business we intend to run should be registered as a hotel, or whether we can get away with Chambre D'hote status.  We will only have 3 rooms (1 x double and 2 x dorms sleeping 6 each that can be reconfigured to family rooms).  Our intention was to run a hostel type accomodation, but can't find any reference to this kind of thing on any of the regulation type websites.  It seems that we can fit the criteria for Chambre D'hote mostly, ie, no more than 5 rooms/15 people, include breakfast, dinner at family table etc, but didn't know whether if we rent out 'bed' space rather than 'rooms' as a whole we would be entering the realms of 'hotel' and all the extra regulation that comes with it.  We are not intending to open until Easter 2014 so have time to rethink if necessary! 

I can't help you but I might know somebody who can.

The following link is to a hostel near Carcassonne and was highly rated in the UK press (forget which paper but I think it was The Times) a few years back. If you look for reviews on the web there are loads of them. There website is.... http://www.sidsmums.com/ there are contact details there so you could phone and ask. You might also have a look round their website. To say they are extremely popular is an understatement.

• 4 months later...

We are a chambres d'hotes and, if I am right, you have to include the cost of breakfast in the room rate.

We often get guests saying can they have the price of the room without breakfast but we have to say No - we are not allowed to provide rooms without breakfast.

Hope this helps.