A scam; anyone know a French website to explain to my friends?

Loiseau

A French friend of mine has just emailed to ask me to explain a reply she has had in English to her response to a booking enquiry for their seaside gite.

She gave me the whole thread, and alarm bells rang at once when I read the first letter of enquiry:

"Hello,

My name is JOYCEE HELEN A female modelling in UK.

I am interested in your Locations for 2 months so that I can stay there for the moment I came for a concert in FRANCE.

I will like you to give me the cost of renting it for 2 Months and all the bill I have to pay for 2 Months.

Waiting to hear from Back

Helen"

Of course I have wanged back a fast reply to my friend saying DON'T go any further, and explained briefly what might ensue re the overpayment and then request for balance to be refunded.

But does anyone know a page of some French hoax-slayer-type website I can point her to that explains/warns against with this scam?

Merci d'avance

Angela

Aha, I have found a warning here from a French rental website:

http://mag.homeloc.com/2012/11/arnaques-location-de-vacances-proprietaire/

and somebody's salutory experience here, on a forum so have sent those to my friends:

http://community.homeaway.com/message/63645

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]

I have found plenty of references to it on English-language sites, but I was hoping there might be a French-language explanation somewhere, so they could realise what a widespread thing it is.[/quote]

Sorry Angela, my post was a waste of your time; I didn't absorb the fact that your friends are French ... though you clearly state exactly that at the beginning of your post and also in the title.

Duh !

Sincere apologies.

Sue - hanging her head in shame [blink][:$]

QUOTE sue56

...Sorry Angela, my post was a waste of your time; I didn't absorb the fact that your friends are French ...

END QUOTE

No apologies necessary Sue! Everyone's input is bound to be interesting to someone...

My friends speak a BIT of English, and did realise that the English in the letter was a bit odd, but it never occurred to them that it might be an "anarque". And they are quite savvy retired shopkeepers.

As Chancer says above, it's amazing how un-wary some of the French are regarding the internet - though in fairness, we are all wised-up by belonging to forums like this, but other people don't have the opportunity of picking up this sort of warning from others' experience.

EDIT And of course I don't mean just the French fall for it; it could happen to anyone.

Angela

[quote user="Chancer"]Reading one of Claires links made me think once again how scarily naive some French are whom you would expect to be far more wordly wise, the educated and professional classes.The husband of the pair that were taken for €4000 was a policeman.[/quote]

Well, it's easy to say that when you know of these stories from the internet, but if you don't actually read forums and such-likes, how would you know that it's a scam?

My neighbour gets all het up about her friend having been scammed by clicking on a link in an email  purporting to be 'from her bank'.

I know NOT to do that, but only because I've read about it.

Nothing to do with being French, Canadian or Turkish.

I have had to go to two of our local mayors offices to explain this scam. One was actually sent 1000 euros in Traveler Cheques (they looked quite real) and then was bombarded with emails because they (the office) had replied. The mayor was quite worried that they were not giving a good service and were quite shocked when I expalined what the scam was. Selling LHD cars at a knock down price from the UK to unsuspecting french people is another one we have helped with.