Insurance Changes 2015

Quillan

I have just completed my annual visit to the insurance agents in my area to see who is doing the best deals for house/contents, car, mutual etc. In total I have visited six and they all tell me the same thing so I must assume it is correct. From 1st Jan 2015 normal house insurance will no longer cover the rooms that you let, you need to get a "Multirisque Professionnelle Contact". It is primarily designed for those that run a business from home an covers the office part of the house from which you work. You would then get normal house insurance for the rest. This could possibly work out more expensive for those that work from home. However it actually works in the CdH owners favour because of course technically the whole of your house is your business therefore this one policy (or contract as the French call it) covers the whole house. Not only does it cover damage, both deliberate and accidental, to your rooms and property in general but based on your annual income (which you seem to have to prove by showing your Imports paperwork) will pay you for any loss of income from said room whilst waiting for it to be repaired.

I thought, as many probably have whilst reading the above, that this is yet another way of the insurance companies to 'get one over' you and will cost you more money. Well my old policy was €33 per month and this new one is €38 per month which is probably what the old one would have gone up to in 2015 anyway. You can also 'attach' another policy, if you wish, to pay you an income if you become (short term) ill and can't work. I am interested in this because I may well need a knee replacement in the next 18 months but don't know when exactly so I shall just keep taking bookings. When the time comes for the operation and if I have reservations it will pay the difference in cost of finding alternative accommodation for my guests (something your obliged to do if you use companies like Booking) plus pay my lost income. Seeing as I typically I won’t be able to work for around four to five weeks this could be quite handy. I do not have a price for this yet but when I do I will let you know.

As to Gite owners, well I don't have a clue how, if anything, these changes affect them.

I have a 'Multirisque Professionnelle Contact' but I cant add to much else.   The 2 points that come to mind is that there were optional clauses for me and as I passed them it meant that I managed to reduce the insurace cost.  A few to mention was, getting the extinguishers certified yearly getting the boiler checked yearly and not having an outside bin resting against the wall.  It might be worth asking if these additions can reduce your insurance.

The other point with booking.com is that the few times we had difficulties to fulfill a reservation we just phoned the person and they were perfectly happy to cancel and book somewhere else.  The alternative is you put them up somewhere near where the price is the same or you agree with the other accommodation to do it for the same price you quoted.... nevertheless it is a worry to not end up in this situation in the first place.