Booking.com

[:D][:D][:D]

Nice to know there is someone that can be even more negative than I can be [:P]

I am a positive person but long experience with human nature makes one cynical.

I'm also well versed in keeping a smile on my face and remaining polite, I knew when it was time to get out of my old business when i could no longer maintain the smile, I had been shafted for a huge amount of money, I questioned why I was continuing just to leave myself open to someone doing it again, it was time (for me) to get out so I did.

This (ad)venture will be no different, its just that this time I know in advance what to expect and my limitations, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it will become a business that I love, I certainly enjoy contact with others, different nationalities, people from elsewhere in France, in fact just basic human contact that I once took for granted that has been completely absent for the last 10 years.

P.S. even I could not devalue something that as yet has no value!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was doing chambres d'hôtes I found that many French visitors wanted to pay by Cheques Vacances - they get them and want to spend them!  It cost nothing to sign up. After that it costs 1% or 2€ if you send less than 200€. Best to save the CVs until  you have 200€. Payment isn't immediate but I never had the slightest problem with it. It's a good system and if you have lots of French clients it's an advantage. They will often pay with part CV part cash or cheque.

Its been 10 days now and I have the first guests arriving on Friday.

I only put 2 studios up for the summer months with a cut off date of the end of August, so far have bookings totalling €2700 of which €500 might be a north african scammer, time will tell with that one, and the cancellations remain at €1025.

All in all its looking very very good, I had nobody throughout April and knew that for my target market, the workers, July and August would be dead judging by last year.

Prior to April I had a 6 month run of full occupancy and if I let them to the Lycée aéronautique students next year will have 10 months of full occupancy, its very encouraging to see how quickly the tap can be turned on with Booking.com.

I havnt even got to try with AirBnB yet, another week like the last and I wont have much spare capacity to put with them. 

OK, I am pleased with the level of business coming in, in fact more than pleased but am very concerned about the high level of cancellations, bookings are made and then cancelled so quickly I dont know if I am coming or going.

To date I have 36 days of bookings, which would be 46 days if I include one that I am still sceptical about, in addition there have been a further 29 days booked and then cancelled, still running at close to 50% and I dont know why, its probably a myriad of reasons but what I do know is all of them are very fast, sometimes I know of the cancellation before the booking, also its the longer stays, around here its one or two nights maximum, I am very pleased to be getting réservations for longer stays but these are the ones being cancelled, some stats below.

6 days cancelled after 12 hours

5 days cancelled after 5 minutes

4 days cancelled after 4 hours

6 days cancelled after 10 minutes

4 days cancelled after 10 hours

3 days cancelled after 36 hours

1 day cancelled after 4 hours

Any ideas?

Could it be that its because they havnt heard from me yet? Given the short time lags and that most of these were booked on sundays etc it would surprise me but I'd like to know.

As I cannot accept credit cards Booking.com does not ask for their détails which perhaps makes them feel less obligated and the English guests who have just left said that they initially wondered if they really had a reservation as it seemed weird to them to not have to pay until arrival but that they were reassured once they had heard from me.

Do others get this level of cancellations? Are they always so quick and for longer periods?

Or do you have any idea what might be going on with these people? I know some people can be very selfish, a guy I once knew, made offers on several houses to have them taken off the market so he and his wife could decide at their leasure which one to buy after they had done all the viewings, it disgusted me and they are no longer  friends, could it be something like that with the bookings?

Without sounding big-headed it cannot be that they are finding somewhere else in the vicinity either cheaper or better, far from it, also keeping an eye on the competitors I see that I am getting far more bookings (and cancellations [:(]) than them although that could be explained by them already being fully booked for the commemoration dates and for the coming weekends.

[quote user="Chancer"]... the English guests who have just left said that they initially wondered if they really had a reservation as it seemed weird to them to not have to pay until arrival but that they were reassured once they had heard from me.

[/quote]

IMO both of those views seem logical. Whenever I have booked I always expect an immediate email and to have to pay for :

a : either a minimum of 50% deposit or

b : the whole accommodation bill up front

Perhaps your prospective clients do feel unsure that they have a genuine booking if you are a bit slow to respond.

Replies are usually automatically generated these days, which is souless, but reassuring.

Sue

[quote user="Chancer"]

As I cannot accept credit cards Booking.com does not ask for their détails which perhaps makes them feel less obligated and the English guests who have just left said that they initially wondered if they really had a reservation as it seemed weird to them to not have to pay until arrival but that they were reassured once they had heard from me.

[/quote]

The credt card is probably the key. Your not a CDH or B&B you are a hotel and there may lay the problem. Hotels take your credit card details but that does not mean they take payment straight away. I told you what to do, buy an Android or Iphone phone or tablet and use a service like Payleven. Your cancelation problems will desolve over night.

Where do your guests go for breakfast i.e. how far is it to get a cup of coffee and something to eat first thing? Is there tea and coffee provided in the rooms? Do you do a breakfast service i.e. a tray with orange juice, coffee etc. if not have you considered it. Must be a little money earner that for very little work as most hotels round here seem to charge between 12 and 16 Euros per head for breakfast. You could get away with 10 Euros a head and leave a tray outside the room door, well thats what I would do in your shoes.

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Chancer"]... the English guests who have just left said that they initially wondered if they really had a reservation as it seemed weird to them to not have to pay until arrival but that they were reassured once they had heard from me.
[/quote]
IMO both of those views seem logical. Whenever I have booked I always expect an immediate email and to have to pay for :
a : either a minimum of 50% deposit or
b : the whole accommodation bill up front

Perhaps your prospective clients do feel unsure that they have a genuine booking if you are a bit slow to respond.
Replies are usually automatically generated these days, which is souless, but reassuring.

Sue

[/quote]

Getting a means to recieve credit card payments can only improve things and give me more protection as well so I'll get on that.

Still unsure on the slow to respond, if any of the other réservations cancel, those whom I have yet to contact I would completely undersrtand and blame myself, but only one cancellation has been after more than a day, one at 12 hours (Sunday remember) one at 10 hours two at 4 hours and the others after 10 minutes, I suspect the last 4 will continue and perhaps I'll never get to the bottom of it.

I have after all bought enough things and then realised my mistake after the checkout, or finding something more suitable etc etc etc, I dont want to change the cancellation Policy, no refunds even after 5 minutes isnt really on in my book but perhaps just the act of giving the credit card détails would be enough to discourage, we will see.

I am guilty of not yet creating a standard form letter reply to send out instantly in English and French, TBH the bookings have snowed me Under somewhat, wont take long to do and then I must do it systematically, a silly little question but I use Hotmail for myself and the business and I dont even know how to store and retrieve a standard letter, if i save a draft I think that once I send or forward it it does not remain in that folder, a silly thing but one which is an obstacle that i must overcome to get on top of this, Quillan sends his letters as attachments, is that the reason why Q?

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

The credt card is probably the key. Your not a CDH or B&B you are a hotel and there may lay the problem. Hotels take your credit card details but that does not mean they take payment straight away. I told you what to do, buy an Android or Iphone phone or tablet and use a service like Payleven. Your cancelation problems will desolve over night.

OK I know I have to swallow my stubborness and when I get the smartphone and get all hung up with its complication at least I can blame you Q for my woes [:P] as you know I like my simple phone that keeps its charge a week.

So could I ask you to patiently tell me again the détails of an Android,whatever that is, IPhone (OK I know its a phone but thats all) or the tablet, that could be usefull as a back up to my computer, when i looked before at accepting cards via a phone thingy it would only work if the person was there with their card and PIN number, in fact i think it wouldnt even work with UK or foreign bank cards and the Customer had to sign, as you know the ability to pre-authorise and accept a Customer not present debit for at least the deposit is a must, can this be done with your system or Payleven?

Where do your guests go for breakfast i.e. how far is it to get a cup of coffee and something to eat first thing?

Flunch restaurant a couple of hundred meters from the doorstep along with supermarkets and a grand surface maybe another 100 metres further

Is there tea and coffee provided in the rooms?

Absolutely! An abundance, Hotel trays with kettle, teas coffees, milk infusions etc, plus a Senseo quadrante with dosettes, milks etc (note to self, must get some sugar sachets!) The local Hôtel Ibis which is 50-100% more expensive for a tiny bedroom has no tea or coffee making facilities at all and no fridge either, guests complain that it is not as well equipped as an Ibis budget where they know not to expect basic hôtel necessities

Do you do a breakfast service i.e. a tray with orange juice, coffee etc. if not have you considered it.

Thought about it but didnt want to do it hassle Wise, also my USP is the fact that guests can self cater, the apartments have huge high spec fully fitted kitchens not just a réchaud, that said the French couple last night did not use it and only made drinks, I will maybe revisit the subject, I realise that the add ons like that generate a lot of income for businesses and overseas guests may well accept it if it is offered but in my heart the money is the least important thing to me[/quote]

Editted.

I am an Apparthôtel as opposed to a traditional hôtel, no restaurant, reception, room service etc etc etc, the French at least seem to understand the concept and not be looking for extra services, look at some of the Appartcités that are springing up in all the major towns.

Mind you I think they do offer a breakfast service like you mentioned, and of course any properly run business like that will be looking for the maximum marginal revenues, they have staff to provide it when its asked for but I suspect not often.

My thoughts are, and of course they change as I learn, are that people wanting a hotel service will book a hôtel, those wanting a much larger well equipped  apartment for a lot less money will not expect or want a breakfast service.

Do the real basic budget hôtel chains offer a breakfast service?

I would not wnat to get a bad review from someone winging that they paid €20 for a cup of coffee, a glass of orange and a pain au chocolat.

I had thought about talking with the flunch to offer breakfast vouchers or even for them to deliver, but expecting someone round here to see and understand an opportunity around when its explained to them is highly unlikely, its immediate suspicion, mistrust, how is this guy trying to con me? etc, very sad really.

Having stayed in both aparthotels and traditional hotels, even the cheapest of the latter offer breakfast. I usually decline it as the minimum cost even in the budget hotels, is 6.95 euros for bread, jam and coffee. Some aparthotels also offer it but I think more as an income generator. You could consider the option of a breakfast tray for 7 euros and see what uptake you get. I suppose if you arrive late and have to leave early the following morning you don't have time to go shopping for breakfast.

I am too attached to grasse mâtinées [:D]

Besides I am already WMAO (dont know if that is an acronym or I have just invented it) and would rather pay them €7 to go to Flunch.

Maybe that is the answer, offer a €7 breakfast service , if someone takes it up then say "its your Lucky day cos its free!" and give them a voucher for Flunch [I]

Companies like Payleven cannot allow payments when the customer is not present but the customer does not have to know that.

You keep thinking from your point of view but you need to start thinking like a customer. If you had to give your credit card details what do you think the hotel is going to do with them? It's not a matter of if they can or not use them when they are not there it is what you, the customer thinks.

Same with breakfast. If you gave me a voucher for round the corner or suggested I went to the local supermarket I would never stay again, it's just too much hastle. Opening the door and picking up a tray with a Croissant, a little pot of jam and a small packet of orange juice is well worth six or ten Euros to me. Why would I want to rush, shower, get dressed and run round the shop just to have breakfast which is what I would have to do. Most people are like me, half asleep in the morning. Just turning the shower knob on is difficult enough until I have had a nibble and a coffee. It's not about offering the same as others it's about offering more which will make you more 'attractive' and help towards returning guests. If your going to shop you might just as well offer to get them a newspaper for instance which is what I do.

Look on Ebay for an unlocked Samsung S3 (i9300) as a phone. Should be able to pick one up second hand for about 120 Euros or even less.

[quote user="lindal1000"]You can get a new Nokia dual sim smartphone for around 100 euros. Ask our mutual friend.[/quote]

As long as it runs either Android or Apple software the make and model is not important. It does need to be able to use WiFi for the transaction else it gets rather expensive.

As always I take on board your comments Q, its early days but all the guests so far have been delighted and it appears that I am meeting the need, that said everyone is different.

This may sound like making excuses especially as I dont like early mornings but there is a physical reason why I could not leave a tray outside any of the rooms, every inch of space in my place is used to the maximum, the entrance doors open directly onto the landings,at the top there is only a staircase width between them; on the first floor they open onto the landing for people coming down or going up, on the ground floor the same but its the entrance vestibule, anyone coming in or going out through the front door would be met with a breakfast tray, in fact for those coming down their last step would put them in a right jam [:D]

Basically there is absolutely nowhere to leave anything without it representing a hazard, OK theres a small space beside the first flight where the electric meter cupboard and the tourist brochures are but you cant Knock on someones door and expect them to then come down 2 flights of stairs and I doubt that I could fit more than one tray in the space.

The getting up I cannot let become an issue, I'm having to get up early now anyway just to get all the work done plus continue with the other flats, as Lindal says it will typically be on the day they leave when I would be up anyway, tempting though it may be I cant really say "be quiet when you leave because I will be asleep, put the key in the letterbox please"!!!!!

I have just ordered a Karcher WV2 from Amazon.fr Quillan, nice to find something cheaper in France than England especially as it will be with me here soon (apart from we are in May [:(]) with free delivery and I won have to wait to go back to the UK.

I can already see how much time its going to save me.

Right, well it looks like a given that I will have to get a smart phone or a tablet or whatever the other "device" was called, also some credit card reader truc.

The tablet sounds attractive as it would double as a back up computer (if I understand what one of them is) and all the rest of you people seem quite taken by them, best thing though is I can continue to use my old school phone.

Question re using a tablet, the Australians were having trouble connecting to my wi fi, they said it was because the sim card in their tablet didnt have a good signal on SFR, I said that surely it has a modem and doesnt need a mobile phone or sim to connect to my Wi-Fi, but TBH I think all all 3 of us were clueless old farts when it comes to modern technology.

Loads of my other clients were using tablets, do they really need a sim card or 3G dongle or some other truc to hook up onto a wifi?

I can sort of see the need for one for it to work in the great outdoors but then so would my computer.

Oh dear, I knew this was going to be complicated, the opposite of what I seek in everything especially computing.

I am a K.I.S.S. person, that is why I am, sorry, - was, so vehemently against having a smartphone despite everyone telling me that I must get one, in fact that alone is usually reason enough for me not to do something, to me a phone is simply for recieving calls and in my case making one once in a blue moon, textos are usefull I'll grant especially when booking.com alert me to a last minute booking, I may need to rush back to the Apparthôtel but any more than that is just giving myself unwanted grief for no benefit (to me).

I have seen how my neighbour in the UK (another clueless old fart like me) has become totally frustrated at his inability now to even make a call or send/reply to a text with his so called smartphone, the bloke cant even manage the contacts, he phones me in the UK when I'm in France and France when I'm in the UK, same with texts, edits a number and ends up with both the wrong and the right ones loses everything regularly, the thing hangs and blocks him out, all the problems I suffer with a PC and some more, I especially laugh when he switches it on and then has to wait longer to use it than my bloomin PC,.

Its a phone for the lords sake! Something (to me) that you should just pick up and use, or switch on and work with immediately, mind you I recall thats exactly what you could with my first PC which is supposedly a million times slower than my current one, I would turn it on and type C:/.......; and away we went, at least no-one is telling me that I must get a "Smart lightswitch" that takes several minutes to switch on, or a "Smart car" I can already cycle into and out of town quicker than any car.

I appreciate that I am nul with computers and a frightened technophobe, I realise that 99.9% of people love their Smartphones and teem to spend every waken hour spent staring into them whilst walking driving, with friends etc and even thats OK by me, but can anyone tell me what advantage there would be for me, who makes practically no calls, recieves even less and above all loves his tiny Nokia for its size and the need to only charge it once a week?

Chancer wrote : ... but can anyone tell me what advantage there would be for me, who makes practically no calls, recieves even less and above all loves his tiny Nokia for its size and the need to only charge it once a week?

For you, as I see it, the snag with not having one seems to be that Booking.com reservations can be made by people with such a phone, who are just outside your front door or in Flunch down the street, waiting for your reply. If you are not contactable immediately then you have lost a 'sale'.

It does seem a conundrum.

I do remember Q saying his home phone sends all calls to his mobile if he is out so that he doesn't miss a potential booking.

Smartphones do also receive all emails in sync with your computer and/or tablet so you know straightaway of a potential booking or a query. Plus a smartphone is a lot smaller to keep about your person than a tablet.

Must add that I don't have a smartphone ... but practically everyone else I know does ! ☺

On the other hand I do find my tablet useful, though I couldn't tuck it away in my pocket !

Sue

Chancer, I don't know whether it's a step you'd find useful or not for your business.

But I'm with you on the simplicity of old-style phones - mine's straightforward and large print too! I'm fine with the lap top and my ipad, but learned most things from my husband. He hasn't got a smart phone either, from choice, and only bought an ipad so our messages, calendars etc synchronise.

The partner of our elder son started me up on my ipad - maybe if you find you need a smart phone, one of your friends who has one would spare time to instruct you?

Edit: I've just read Sue's post; my husband bought a mini ipad and carries it in his jacket pocket, in a case to protect it.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Right, well it looks like a given that I will have to get a smart phone or a tablet or whatever the other "device" was called, also some credit card reader truc.

The tablet sounds attractive as it would double as a back up computer (if I understand what one of them is) and all the rest of you people seem quite taken by them, best thing though is I can continue to use my old school phone.

Question re using a tablet, the Australians were having trouble connecting to my wi fi, they said it was because the sim card in their tablet didnt have a good signal on SFR, I said that surely it has a modem and doesnt need a mobile phone or sim to connect to my Wi-Fi, but TBH I think all all 3 of us were clueless old farts when it comes to modern technology.

Loads of my other clients were using tablets, do they really need a sim card or 3G dongle or some other truc to hook up onto a wifi?

I can sort of see the need for one for it to work in the great outdoors but then so would my computer.

[/quote]

If the tablet has a SIM card then it also connects to the mobile phone network as well as to your 'in house' network using WiFi. Most of the Internet providers (like Orange etc) allow you to connect with 'Hotspots' on their network (which in reality is WiFi) when you are out and about. If however you decide to go for a phone then of course it will also be able to use the mobile phone network. The thing to keep in mind is that data via the mobile phone network is very expensive in France compared to say the UK although prices are dropping.

I don't have an Apple because I don't trust them. Too many accounts hacked, too much data stolen plus they have too much control over media that belongs to you. I personally prefer Android and as a make I like the Samsung Tab 3 which you can pick up second hand on EBay for around 100 Euros or 140 for an almost new one with warranty. The latest version is the Samsung Tab 4 but then you have to pay between 50 and 100 Euros more. I have the '7' model which means it has a 7" screen which is enough for me as I use it for books as well.

They all take extra memory cards so don't worry about the size of memory in the machine. Likewise they all have 'Bluetooth' which you need to connect the card reader. I always go for older models because firstly there is nothing wrong with them and secondly because of this thing with young people about having the latest model they can be picked up for a third of the price.

To keep it simple lets assume you buy a tablet (without a SIM/4G ability). The credit card reader is a small box the size of a packet of fags. It connects to your tablet via 'Bluetooth' which is a wireless system yet complete different to WiFi and the devices need to be within 5m of each other. The tablet then connects to your WiFi.

You have to buy the reader but it is under 100 Euros and when it arrives it is yours to keep so there is no more to pay i.e. rental. When it arrives you need to download and install the software onto your Tablet and that’s free. It turns you tablet into a cash register of sorts that accepts cards. I should point out that as it is an application you can of course use the tablet for other things, it is not stuck as a dedicated cash register if you get my drift. It only turns into the cash register when you run the software just like any computer.

I currently use Payleven and they charge 2.75% per transaction. I was reading about SumUp which charges 1.95% and more importantly rather than wait to the end of the month to get the money in your bank account like with PayLeven they pay you within 3 to 5 working days just like PayPal. The reader is about the same price as well. One thing that does annoy me is that the readers are no interchangeable between one company and another but that’s life I suppose. I may still change to SumUp and swallow the cost of another reader. All this software is only available for either Android or Apple devices.

These machines are not 'tied' to any bank but to the card facilitator i.e. Visa, MasterCard, American Express etc. This means they will accept any card which has one of these symbols on it from any country in the world be they debit or credit card.

You can buy a (very expensive) thermal printer that prints receipts or you can ask the card holder to enter their email address and it will send a receipt to their email account. It only does 'chip and pin' by the way, this ensures the customer is present. Somebody asked if it did 'paper' credit and debit card payments that require a signature, well it doesn't and I don't think anyone does these days anyway.

By the way you can buy these readers second hand on EBay but I wouldn't touch them because I would wonder if they have been doctored in any way and are sending my money to somebody else’s account. Probably not but then I have always been taught to be cautious.

With regards to Booking if you tick the box that says you take credit/debit cards it automatically takes the guests details and passes them on to you when they make the reservation. Whilst you can say you take French bank cheques or cash when they arrive you cannot refuse to accept a card because you clearly stated that you did Booking.com

Think that covers everything.

[quote user="lindal1000"]So even if you want to use a tablet then it can't be a Windows one?... and does that mean you can't use an ordinary Windows computer?[/quote]

Correct. There is no Windows application. It was originally designed just to work on a mobile phone but also work on a tablet. I refer a tablet because the 'keys' are bigger and my fingers aren't what they used to be. I can't even text on a phone but then I an with Chancer on this about a phone being a phone i.e. you speak to people. The only thing I use my phone for is reservations, they are all in the diary on the phone so if somebody calls me out and about I can tell them if I have a room available. I do the same with my tablet. If you have Microsoft Outlook (full version) there is a bit of software called "MyPhoneExplorer" that works with all Android devices and syncs calendars between them and Outlook in seconds without a cable. Smart, quick and very simple, excellent program for that sort of thing.

The someone on the doorstep while I am out scenario had already occurred to me but luckily there is a K.I.S.S. solution to that which does not involve 4G phones, tablets, hotspots machin truc. Booking.com send me a text message when there is a same day booking or like last night at 22.26 when a reservation was made for 4 days starting today (the guy has just checked in) I can simply call them on my old steam driven mobile (taht wont need recharging or rebooting) and ask them for the persons mobile phone number and then call them to say when I will be back.

So for the moment I need a tablet, why must it be non Windows, the card reader I think but is that true of all of them?

This tablet could get me internet access while out and about, presumably I would have to take the simcard out of my phone and put it in the tablet, is that how it works? Or can I go and use the wi fi in a cafe or somewhere?

These cardreaders, Bluetooth plus wifi, my leaky microwave will play havoc with them!! Sounds like another thing to have to keep charged (I hate seeing chargers everywhere) is there one that has a lead to connect to a USB port or dont tablets have them?

Everyone is asking or expecting to pay by credit:debit card despite being informed by booking.com so I will have to sort something out, another couple of percent sticks in the throat a bit but the poor guy had to go to town to the bank tonight (he doesnt have a cheque book) and tomorrow I will be there myself paying in all the cash I have hidden around the place.

I seem to recall looking at a Paypal credit card reader which IIRC worked great in the UK but the French one would only recognise French chip and pin cards and other people had to do some crazy electronic signature thing which both the Customer and the hotelier were unhappy with, maybe it has improved.

Proper hôtels can either take a credit card deposit beforehand (Customer not present), do a preautorisation and also charge damages, cleaning of a room thats been smoked in etc later on, from what has been said about these card interfaces you cant do any of that, they give me the hebergeur no advantage over where I am at the moment, no deposit, hoping the Customer will turn up, and when they do arrive and pay then I lose 2 or 3% more. There is no doubting the benefit to the Customer though.