Carafe d'eau

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Sorry, Ron, I didn't post that just to give you a chance to practise your humour 'skills'. I read some years ago that an obscure part of the Code Napoleon was that the provision of condiments was obligatory. That's why I said "I believe" rather than "I am an opinionated know-it-all who makes sarcastic comments".[/quote]

No Dick you posted it beccause you are an opiniated know nothing who cannot help but make rude nasty comments, why don't you stay in the Lounge, you are appreciated there.

[/quote]

Ron - make today's mission getting a life, eh?

I made a completely straight post - it was you who started mud slinging. Then when other people showed that you were wrong the bile starts coming out. What a lovely man you are. You must have lots of friends...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're talking about geting a free half litre or so of tap water here, hardly a controversial subject. Yet it deteriorates into gratuitous insults. What is it about you, Dick, that attracs these people? Was it not for the fact that RA has some idea of how to punctuate, I'd say we had an outcast back here.

Quite right Christine, I think some members need to remember the code of conduct:

Please keep to the topic of the original thread. This will help users to locate the information that they are looking for and will save space on the servers

Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its hot and sunny - please can we enjoy a lovely, peaceful weekend without a lot of squabbling [:D]

Christine - no offence intended to Ron. As I've explained to him (and also to Mrs O) I was actually alluding to the way that some users seem to get away with being unpleasant and others get punished. Sorry Gay, I know I am not supposed to mention these historical forum-related things - which is why I didn't refer to them directly earlier - but in view of the reaction I think I need to. I agree Gay, no need for unpleasantness on such a trivial subject. Why is it that these things alway crop up at the weekend?

And as ever, there is C.A to take side swipes at people whilst pretending to be oh so innocent.

Count yourself lucky Dick, a few waited until my demise before being

quite obnoxious and only yesterday I was told a post of mine would be

deleted,  when earlier in the thread, I was abused and it was

still there until the thread was pulled.

Oh and so as not to go off thread, we give out litres of lovely clear fresh water absolutely free and no catch !

[quote user="Ron Avery"][quote user="Loiseau"][quote user="Ron Avery"]

...It seems to me Madame was being difficult, perhaps because you were also ???

[/quote]

Oh dear Ron, perhaps you *have* got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!
I am the least "difficult" or confrontational of people. I sometimes think it's my biggest drawback.
I might have understood her reaction if I had ordered nothing "payant" in the way of booze. But I *had* ordered as much as I felt able to drink on my own (see above). And I did then meekly order a half-bottle of Evian, as she had refused me the carafe.
The half-bottle of wine I chose first turned out to not be available, so I had to choose something else which was more expensive. I made no fuss about that, nor about the fact that it didn't turn up till I was halfway through the starter. Nor that I was given the wrong pudding (a fact which I didn't realise till later in the evening when I was reflecting upon the meal and suddenly remembered that mine should have had a bit of flambéed banana with it).

Angela

PS  There was no salt and pepper on the table - but I didn't make a scene about that either...

[/quote]

No  accusation was inferred Angela, it was just a question. We have all met those waitresses/Landaladies who can take umbrage at the slightest thing,  more so in the UK than in France, and as suggested she may have just been difficult simply because you asked for a carafe instead of a pitcher or more likely if it was a franchised place, this was one of those places as are often found in the UK that like to sell fizzy or still water for £2.50 a time.   

[/quote]

Surely Ron the accusation WAS inferred. though it may not have been implied.[8-)]

C.A.

not

[quote user="Ron Avery"][quote user="Loiseau"][quote user="Ron Avery"]

...It seems to me Madame was being difficult, perhaps because you were also ???

[/quote]

Oh dear Ron, perhaps you *have* got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!
I am the least "difficult" or confrontational of people. I sometimes think it's my biggest drawback.
I might have understood her reaction if I had ordered nothing "payant" in the way of booze. But I *had* ordered as much as I felt able to drink on my own (see above). And I did then meekly order a half-bottle of Evian, as she had refused me the carafe.
The half-bottle of wine I chose first turned out to not be available, so I had to choose something else which was more expensive. I made no fuss about that, nor about the fact that it didn't turn up till I was halfway through the starter. Nor that I was given the wrong pudding (a fact which I didn't realise till later in the evening when I was reflecting upon the meal and suddenly remembered that mine should have had a bit of flambéed banana with it).

Angela

PS  There was no salt and pepper on the table - but I didn't make a scene about that either...

[/quote]

No  accusation was inferred Angela, it was just a question. We have all met those waitresses/Landaladies who can take umbrage at the slightest thing,  more so in the UK than in France, and as suggested she may have just been difficult simply because you asked for a carafe instead of a pitcher or more likely if it was a franchised place, this was one of those places as are often found in the UK that like to sell fizzy or still water for £2.50 a time.   

[/quote]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]  ...We have all met those waitresses/Landaladies who can take umbrage at the slightest thing,  more so in the UK than in France, and as suggested she may have just been difficult simply because you asked for a carafe instead of a pitcher or more likely if it was a franchised place, this was one of those places as are often found in the UK that like to sell fizzy or still water for £2.50 a time.   [/quote]

Is Logis de France a franchise then?  I always imagined they were totally individual establishments, and that they paid to go under the Logis banner just to market themselves. Rather like chambres d'hotes or gites being under the GdF or Clevacances labels?

I don't think Madame had taken umbrage, by the way - how could she after my smarmily-polite use of a tentatively negative conditional: "Vous n'auriez pas une carafe d'eau svp?"  ?

Angela

PS  Sorry this thread has become so controversial... [:(]

I'm trying to avoid deleting this thread, please get back to the subject of water with meals, not who said what when and how.

* Comments or questions regarding the general administration of the forum should be made by "private message" or using the "Report" link to the moderators or direct to Forum Admin. Such comments or questions should not be posted in the open forum.

If I delete it - there will no doubt be an outcry accusing us of heavy handed moderating.....

PS Sorry  Loiseau, your post popped up after I had looked Miki's 

[quote]If I delete it - there will no doubt be an outcry accusing us of heavy handed moderating....[/quote]

Well, in answer to that, the thread pulled yesterday did not recieve any more than my small comment earlier, so no doubt any outcry...etc, so not 100% certain then and doubt certainly exists. Just thought it worth mentioning.

Now will this be pulled after posting that ?  we shall see, I

hope not as I am a firm believer in letting threads run out of steam,

have I mentioned that before ? [Www]

Don't forget lashings of cool fresh crystal clear water available absolutely free. with every meal at chez miki [:D]

Logis de France are as you are aware Angela, all owned by inividual

patrons, who pay for entry in to Logis de France. I have to say that I

honestly believe some of them these days, are not much better than the

infamous one star family hotels. Some jewels of course among the

patronage but some pretty poor run down places certainly exist within

that organisation.

On  my first visit to France in 2001 we stayed in a nice little hotel just behind the cathedral in Bayeaux. I understand its no longer there. Anyway, I looked forward to my first 'continental breakfast'. Not for long though...it consisted of a small  fossillised roll, a pat of jam, no butter and lukewarm coffee with a glass of OJ no larger than a shot glass. I remember thinking that it was no wonder French women are so thin!.

[quote]

black and white (3 boys)

Look Gay, Miki, Dickie and Ron

[/quote]

Which one's Gay ? well I know Reeccchaarrrgghh et moi are married with

cotchels of kids, so which one is she [;-)] Mmm it's come across not

quite right but sod it. I'll leave it now !!

Back in the 70s I actually used to enjoy eating at motorway service stations in France, it was really depressing to visit the litterstrewn slum on the Dover-London Road coming back. I think that Jacques Borel (sp)? was the company who ran the French service stations. There was one near Beaune we stayed at, on the way to the skiing slopes.

That said, not all is gloom and doom eating a service stations now. A couple of years ago the best steak we had on a holiday was at a service station near Rouen.

[quote user="Loiseau"]

Is a restaurant obliged to provide a carafe of tap water, if requested?

I stayed at a Logis hotel last weekend, ordered my meal (plus half a bottle of wine and an aperitif) in the restaurant, and asked for a carafe of water as well. The owner's wife refused, on the grounds that she didn't own a carafe...

Angela  [:@]

[/quote]

I always ask for a carafe of water, in addition to wine,  and have never had anyone bat an eyelid. If they don't keep a carafe as such they usually keep the fancier wine bottles for the purpose. I even had a carafe provided in the restaurant on board the Brittany Ferries Pont l'Abbé.   I have also noticed that some people have the carafe of water only, no paying.drinks, which does strike me as a bit cheeky.  .

Liz

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had anyone refuse to bring a carafe d'eau; in the lovely little restaurant in our ville it is presented to all, unasked.

We always order wine, but I'm a big water drinker.  In smaller, family-run restaurants we usually order a bottle of l'eau plat also, just to help the profit margin.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Liz"]I have also noticed that some people have the carafe of water only, no paying.drinks, which does strike me as a bit cheeky.  .

Liz

[/quote]

Why is it cheeky?

Seems reasonable to me that if you're ordering and paying for a meal that you shouldn't feel under any obligation to buy a drink if all you want is some water.