Indian cooking/restaurants/chefs

jon

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"]Does anyone else worry that Google seems to have become the unquestioned arbiter in so many discussions these days? [/quote]Treat it a bit like SatNav, a useful aide but to be used selectively, not always literally.

Anybody actually remember what did before Google and 'tinternet [blink]

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little off subject, but to do with food and Google, so still relevant...

Yesterday Mr Cat brought home a huge basket of mushrooms that he had picked.  They looked like field mushrooms.  I set about brushing off the dirt and grass, but noticed that after brushing them they had a slight yellow bruising that I'd never seen before on other field mushrooms.  So I googled " "field mushroom" confusion bruise yellow", and boy am I glad I did! http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5503~gid~~source~gallerydefault.asp

Apparently these chaps (yellow stainers, Agaricus xanthodermus) are responsible for the majority of mushroom poisoning cases [+o(]

[quote user="Cat"]

Google can be a useful way of finding facts if the original source of "official" information can be found.

But for things that are often a matter of opinion, it all depends on how the query is worded.  For example, googling "confit d'oignons recette -sucre" I get 59,300 results, and if I then google "confit d'oignons recette sucre" I get 48,600.  Not proof by any means, just an indication of opinion (should I add a smilie here ?).

[/quote]

Not at all. I imagine that you are a very smiley person, ergo, the smilie is implicit in your response.

Plus I don't go out of my way to take offence.

For me, the best curry house in London is the Halal Restaurant which is a small back street restaurant in the small lanes just south of Aldgate.

Fantastic curries for all palates, cheap, and far better than any of the Brick lane places.  No fancy service, like the Fat Duck etc., and do not expect linen napkins!

Drinks are mostly pints of beer, but wine can be had.

Anyone else know of it?  I would hazard a guess that it might be the best and most authentic curry in the UK.  The place has been there for donkey's years and I think it predates all the Brick Lane restaurants.

David

[quote user="David"]

For me, the best curry house in London is the Halal Restaurant which is a small back street restaurant in the small lanes just south of Aldgate.

Fantastic curries for all palates, cheap, and far better than any of the Brick lane places.  No fancy service, like the Fat Duck etc., and do not expect linen napkins!

Anyone else know of it?  I would hazard a guess that it might be the best and most authentic curry in the UK.  The place has been there for donkey's years and I think it predates all the Brick Lane restaurants.

David

[/quote]

Hi David -- think I know the one - used to lunch there when working in Commercial Street. It was good and well liked by the people I worked with - all of whom had spent considerable time in Asia and on the Sub-Continent.

For my money though the best curry restaurant in UK is the "Brilliant" in Southall. Similar - pretty basic decor and service but much better value than the likes of Bombay Brasserie, Virishwany's etc. Used to eat there with the locals - superb food.

rgds

Hagar

[quote user="David"]

David

[/quote]

If it is the same one then they used to offer a free poppadom with every pint. Hence the expression "fancy another poppadom before heading back to the office ???".

hagar

Yes Hagar, the same restaurant, and as far as I am aware they still offer a free popadom with every pint.  My son now works in the City, and he eats there regularly.

Take your word for it about the "Brilliant" in Southall - is it easy to find?

Regards,

David

Hagar, I take it back.  I just found the web site of the "Brilliant" and it looks quite plush, and has a photo of Prince Charles.  It also has linen napkins!  Perhaps it has changed since you were there - it does look very good but perhaps quite expensive now.

The Halal though has not changed at all.

David

[quote user="David"]

..........I just found the web site of the "Brilliant" and it looks quite plush, and has a photo of Prince Charles.  It also has linen napkins!  Perhaps it has changed since you were there - it does look very good but perhaps quite expensive now.

David

[/quote]

David, -- maybe your right - it's about 4 years since I was last there. Its getting some rave reviews http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2323.htm and even Gordon Ramsy has put in an appearance.

However - looking at their sample menu I see they continue to serve their curries in portions of 3, 5, 7 etc. This was one of the things I loved about the place - superbly prepared dish for 5 people at around £6 a head - assuming the quality has been maintained then that's outstanding VFM.

rgds

hagar 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The man at the bottom of our road makes wicked curries and reasonably priced too!

Milton Tandoori

Milton Rd.

Cowplain

Waterlooville

Hants.

Lamb Jalfreizi or Dhansal or Passanda are my usuals with a Keema Nan and Sag Aloo (Spinach and spuds)

The Lady wife is more a meat and potato vindaloo merchant.

Unless you are very lucky and Mrs Dog invites you for a curry. I highly recommend Bobbys vegetarian Indian restaurant on Belgrave Road, Leicester. Good Gujarati food. Just say "Batman (now in France) told you to eat here" and you will be very well looked after.

Getting far too posh now - and an ever increasing menu, was even better when pre-war bedroom wall paper was on the walls upstairs and the rickety tables had plastic table clothes and it was unlicenced 25 years ago.

Can be changeable depending on who is cooking that day - but that makes the mystery - everything is fresh that day. They even have a tandoor now. They will get you paans and specials if you ask.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first curry was in 1965 in an Indian restaurant on the bridge in Lincoln. I can still remember the beads of sweat running down my fathers brow.

• 1 year later...

I am going for a trip with my fiance to europe and really confused about which restaurant to choose from so while searching i came through this covent restaurant website [url]http://covent-garden.fluidrestaurantguide.co.uk/[/url]  , Is this restaurant  really good as it sounds on web?