Indian cooking/restaurants/chefs

jon

Guesse I should give up trying!!!!!!I do not live with ideas of opening packets of readily prepared food!If its the easy life you carze well so be it...good cooking does not come out of packets.It is something to relish.....never mind.... 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense meant here, i'm sure the OP means well and is very optimistic but

why would this so called top indian chef give it all up and move to France where they don't eat this stuff much and take a gamble

if he's any good he'll be opening more places in England

what needs to be done is for someone to go to a curry mile somewhere, marry into them and get them over here and open a place

King I think that you are unaware of the fact that I was in the restaurant buisness in London and in touch with top chefs who own top restaurants and also people involved in restaurant guide books/journalism and need to tell you that you lack information....and poss knowledge of the how a restaurant begins its life and how it suceedes.There is no relationship between a great chef[cooking skills]being able to survive the cravy running costs of operating in UK[ESPECIALLY LONDON] and his questionable ability.Infact at this point in time the project is merely an idea in order to show the chap restaurant life in my area...The chef has not  appraoched me.....it is the memory of his exceptional cooking which gave me the idea to invite him to France.I will reminde you that the area where I live is not rural France it is probably the wine capitol of the world which attracts not only tourists but residents with sophistacted palats and an interest in fine cuisine.I confess that it is difficult for many people to appreciate the difference between haute cuisine and eating something acceptable.....but I have spent[and my partener] 30 years in London with strict kitchen discipline...learning and appreciating that cooking is an art.....but there are no short cuts.We trained people to cook.I feel [and others too]that an exceptional chef of Indian origin will be greatly received in our region and if he opened a restaurant he would have no problem making a good living and respect for his cuisine.What more can you want from life?!!!!!

[quote user="jon"]I will reminde you that the area where I live is not rural France it is probably the wine capitol of the world which attracts not only tourists but residents with sophistacted palats and an interest in fine cuisine.[/quote]

Alas! I am unworthy to even breath the air that these people burp up after eating, pointless philistine that I am. [:D]

Leaving the Good Curry Guide to France aside for a mo, one thing that does perplex me is this: given that there are so many people living in France who are of North African extraction (around six miilion, I believe), why are there not more high quality restaurants serving Morrocan or Tunisian food? OK, it is fairly easy to get a mediocre couscous, but a trip to North Africa reveals that there is an extensive and subtle cuisine to be had from these regions.

All the time I've lived here I've come across only one such restaurant that was halfway decent. Perhaps I've been unlucky and have missed the right streets? [8-)]

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"]

Leaving the Good Curry Guide to France aside for a mo, one thing that does perplex me is this: given that there are so many people living in France who are of North African extraction (around six miilion, I believe), why are there not more high quality restaurants serving Morrocan or Tunisian food? OK, it is fairly easy to get a mediocre couscous, but a trip to North Africa reveals that there is an extensive and subtle cuisine to be had from these regions.

All the time I've lived here I've come across only one such restaurant that was halfway decent. Perhaps I've been unlucky and have missed the right streets? [8-)]

[/quote]

I think it's relatively rare to find large numbers of Mahgrebins in rural France, but a trip to any of the major cities should turn up some excellent Maghrebin cuisine.

Plenty of middle of the road food....in London...everywhere!There is,unfortun ately little demand for perfection.but those who desire it will find it.Russet-House....Originally I was the chef and was one of the first three women chefs to get AA rosettes...apparently!I carried on as a chef for many years with a small team and we entered the Michelin guide and the Gault Millau with 14/20...I think...got an Egon Ronay Star...did well in the Good Food Guide.....then I handed over the kitchen to Jonathon[I am Barbara] who, was originally more of a musician but through the years has proved to me and many others that his cooking is as good as any of the fav TV chefs......but he pref ers to avoid the camera...unless he is taking the photos.If it is flavours fresh ingredient,extures and clean looking presentation you appreciate rather than media driven chefs .....you will appreciate what he has to offer.I still cook...here at Clos des Saveurs for the clients....my style is different to J s so we complement each other.I have decided to open a club for cooks here and I feel that I will invite my Indian chef associate over as part of that project.There are many interesting people for him to meet here.So it will be open to those who want to come for the day....cook...learn and then eat our cuisine....wonder round the parc....enjoy the pool and maybe visit our neighbour and try the [they have a vineyard]Asked  yesterday"   why did you come to France"Apart from the beautiful and varied buildings and the vines and the bougoise properties I enjoy the French appreciation for quality and finess.There are no barriers or complexeties in the world of fine food and wine.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]

I think it's relatively rare to find large numbers of Mahgrebins in rural France, but a trip to any of the major cities should turn up some excellent Maghrebin cuisine.

[/quote]

Logically you should be correct, but the one really good place I went to was in a tiny little place near Cholet. Our local ones are adequate at best, and the ones I've been to in Paris and Nantes decidedly so-so. I did look around when I was in Toulouse the other week but didn't find even one, which is what I mean about not being able to find the right streets [:(]

Russet house....are you no longer puzzled.Have you established that what I am telling you is correct.But a reminder to those who doubt our dedication and experience please referto the Good Food guide 1993 which put us in the top 20 restaurants in London......privately owned and preivately funded....and self -taught.

I don't doubt what you are saying is correct, sadly I personally find the way you talk about food incredibly off putting - c'est la vie, you can't please all of the people all of the time.....[:)]

I'm still putting of a visit to The Fat Duck, but hope to try this : http://www.designrestaurants.com/DRRestaurants.aspx and Hestons third Bray restaurant http://www.restaurant-guide.com/riverside-brasserie.htm  soon

perhaps Russet house you  could explain what is "off-putting"....the way I talk about food?Plealse explain yourself.I have a preference to prepare food freshly and without taking the short cuts....just as perhaps Rosemary Shrager[not sure of how she spells her name]Raymond Blanc or Gordon Ramsay would....but this is all a little more complex than just cooking.....is it not?