Indian cooking/restaurants/chefs

jon

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry jon - but really good Indian restaurant and France cannot normally be seen in the same sentence.[:D]  Spicy food is not normally to French tastes and without exception the Indian restaurants we have tried in France have been disappointing.  My husband is Indian and so loves a nice curry but we have to make it at home.  You can get most if not all of the ingredients now (found a really good Indian shop the last time I went to Bordeaux) but I think there would not be enough demand for a real Indian restaurant.  We went to one in Toulouse and chatted to the chef (who was Indian).  He acknowledged he had changed the food for French palates, and told us that when he had started up his food was much more authentic and he had far less custom.  Having 'Frenchified' it business was booming, but we found it a bit bland.

Oh Cerise...like many of you on the France Forum you perhaps look at food in a different way than I do.My best friend was Indian and when he cooked he enjoyed himself....but he was not a chef.The BEST INDIAN food in London is amazing and he has flavours which are rich,exciting and like eatung really good French cuisne.I know that the French do not "LIKE IT HOT" but our chinese restaurants in ny arear...near Libourne are really busy.The Spices were, of course [orginally]to preserve the meats beacuse of the derth of regrigeration and the need to conserve.A good Indian chef will use the best flavoursome tomatoes and a a little corriander[plus a fewother ingredients..of course]by the side of roasted lobster tails] and produce really light breads .....not seen in  London or Manchester.We have just said goodbye to a guest[stayed at our chambre d hote and had dinner with us]She is a French consultant in the food buisness,TV cook and writer of food orientated subjects.She lives in Paris and has bought a second home in our region.She has tryed desperately to find an Indian chef for a client.Well lets see....

Dare I mention the Indian chef who helped Nigel and Nippy to set up an indian restaurant? But I think that was in the Ardèche, and he went back to London.

He was a real character. Nipy and his wife could cook too. (from A Place in France.)

Dare I mention the Indian chef who helped Nigel and Nippy to set up an indian restaurant? But I think that was in the Ardèche, and he went back to London.

He was a real character. Nippy and his wife could cook too. (from A Place in France.)

Of course I remeber Nigel Farrel[producer of TV programmes]Nipy and the chap who has the Star Of In dia in Old Brompton Road.London.A very entertaining programme....great fun....and  MAN MADE FOR TV.....The chap from the restaurant came to our premises in Chiswick to check us out...forgotten his name.Oh well Star Of India was well known....however the cooking was not exceptional.I do beleieve that there is an un derground tunnel which operates in the Bond Kitchens underground which networks to all the Indian restaurant supplying "CURRIES" pale, almost tasteless..WITH MATCHING TANDORI chicken made from tasteless birds in one massive Tandor oven just outside Chancery Lane Station.Currently for sale along with the frozen peas and carrots which grace the vegetable biyriania.To my mind none of that is Indian Cuisine....and when the French get the real thing then they will love it.You too!

jon - I've had "the real thing". One of our sons lives in SE India, where the food is mainly vegetarian, with a variety of the pancakes and breads you mention.

Then we spent a few days on a rubber plantation in Kerala, where the lady of the house was a marvellous cook. A lot of variety, and nothing too heavily spiced .

Maybe you could import a chef from there [:)]

jon - I too have had 'the real thing', and trust me OH's family are equally disappointed with many of the Indian (most of which are actually Pakistani not Indian) restaurants in UK.  Of course there will be some French folk who enjoy such food, and if the chef is for your own premises it could be great.  However, I thought you were looking for restaurant.  So if you have better luck than me in finding a decent one do let me know.

Spices from India produce specific flavours.It is a myth that Indian cuisine  has to be "HOT!" to be authentic.It all stems from the original entry of the Indian restaurant which was introduced to Uk as being the place to fall into after the pub has closed and to order vindaloo...and the boys would proove how macho they were by ordering the "HOTEST" DISH ON THE MENUE!"Chilli is the certainly not the only Indian spice.There is a distinct divide between those who know and those who do not.Many of ther French do not know...but when they will....they will appreciate.

Even in UK outside of the Indian and Pakistani communities the menus are tailored for the English pallet.

Having myself experienced the real thing, both in the back street restaurants of Middle East cities such as Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Muscat etc. where the Indians and Pakistanis themselves ate, and also in Sri Lanka, most everything else is a disappointment.

And there are so many dissapointments in life....so I really hope to bring the real /haute cusine to my area of France.....I hope that it can be achieved becaquse it could be the start of Michelin stared Indian cuisne here....why not!!!!!!!!

No, not familiar with that particular one but I did 'retire' from the Middle East in 1987 though so perhaps it was not there then. Truth be told I actually spent far more time in Abu Dhabi than Dubai and many a well intentioned weekend trip there got no further that the Red Lion pub in what was it, the Hilton Hotel as you arrived in the southern outskirts?

It was far too easy to overdo the liquid refreshments after a long boring drive [:D]

we lived in Dubai from 79 to 86 & the place to go was the Kwality near the Dubai Marine Hotel - went back for a visit in 2001 & the same staff were there & the food was a good as we remembered.  Next best place was the restaurant in the Taj in Bombay....  current favourite is Bukhara in Cape Town - going back soon, can't wait .......  The Red Lion was in the Dubai Metropolitan on the Abu Dhabi road.....we used to spend our time though at the Lodge in Leisureland - great place for lunch on a Thursday & the boys could play snooker all afternoon.

Oh the nostalgia!!  From 1981 - 1993  Kwality - Dubai,   Nataraj - Bahrain,  Sealand - Sharjah,  Foodlands - Abu Dhabi.  Drool drool.  Hubby a member of the Southern Emirates Curry Club, Abu Dhabi.  Street vendors after rugby training and tennis.  Shouldn't wish to turn back time but!!!!

Patf , theres an Indian restaurant in Auch, have you tried it? The decoration leaves much to be desired but the food was really tasty, if they know you're English they will cook it to an English palate rather than French their pilau rice and peswari (sp) nann some of the best I've tasted, I've never managed to taste authentic Indian food anywhere in Europe but am quite happy with an English version if its well cooked[:D]

• 2 weeks later...
Well I have received some encouragement here from my fav chef...he feels that it is a good idea..and even though he is busy he may well join in on the teaching so we have at least one French chef, an Irish one...a n Indian chef from London involved in the circle of teaching .....and a promise of editorial on the horizon from a small group of travle journalists.So then...perhaps some clients will treat themselves to some gastronomic pleasure.

Hi Jon

I live in Paris where there are many Indian restaurants but I still have not found one that resembles the ones in UK.  However, personally, I would prefer the food, somehow the ingredients seem to contain less additives and seem more home made for example.

It is true that you will not find a hot curry on the menu;  I like a Madras but it comes back more like a brown kurma.  I have found a restaurant that I particularly like and asked them to fire the curry up a bit which they did and you know what?  It was the best ever, so light with texture and body, not much oil, perfect.

The restaurant owner should happily oblige to suit your taste.

Katie...we came from London  where we had a restaurant......and this chef cooks in a style unlike all those ghee greasy dishes which most people know.I can not explain without you tasteing that his cooking is light and full in flavour...not merel spices but of the vegetables,meat and fish which he cooks.He will be a prize attraction here in France if the project gets support.

[quote user="jon"]Katie...we came from London  where we had a restaurant......and this chef cooks in a style unlike all those ghee greasy dishes which most people know.I can not explain without you tasteing that his cooking is light and full in flavour...not merel spices but of the vegetables,meat and fish which he cooks.He will be a prize attraction here in France if the project gets support.[/quote]

I would travel there myself for the experience Jon.  The thing is, I have read reviews on many of the Paris restaurants, claiming their dishes are like UK but they are not, I dont know who writes these reviews, maybe the chefs mother.

There is a large British population in Paris but wheather a UK type Indian restaurant would suceed, who knows.