hotel legal regulations

DAVID

Hi,

We are looking around France with a view to purchasing a small (12 bedish) hotel / restaurant.

I am surprised that there appear to be so many 'bargains' around. Having said that, I am really concerned that these so called 'bargains' are obviously priced as such for a good reason. Having looked at some and struggled to get very far with the owners I am having to conclude that it is possibly to do with legal requirements / fire safety etc etc. I don't want to buy myself a money pit!

I have a basic idea of what I think is required but can anyone either tell me or point me to a document where this may be listed / outlined? For example, do ceilings, walls, doores need to be 1 hour fire proof? Can stairs , floors be wooden or do they have to be concrete now? At what point is a fire escape needed?  Things like that would help me make a fairly basic assessment of what I'm looking at.

Finally, is there a document that outlines what is needed for 1 star, 2 star etc?? I'm looking at a no star hotel that is for sale and the owners tell me they offer the same 'level' as 2 star ??!! Why are they not 2 star then , I ask myself?!

Many Thanks in anticipation. 

Dave

Sorry I can't help with your questions but how refreshing it is to find somebody doing the research first and going into a venture with eyes wide open.  So different from an aquantance of mine who just went into the gite business with no idea whatsoever about it at all.

Just an idea but is it worth looking at a hotel booking site like www.booking.com for similar hotels in the area?  You could see what you're up against re price and facilities etc and maybe see what you get for your stars as a customer.  I also like that booking site as it gives reviews by people who have actually stayed at the hotels so you can get an idea of what is liked/disliked.

good luck!!

The provision fire resisting doors, walls and ceilings is a complex subject.

Whether or not you need to provide them depends on many things.

ie How many floors the building has, the number of staircase(s), travel distances to fresh air or to a protected route(s), the types of furnishings and fabrics, the number of bedrooms providing sleeping accommodation for paying guests.

Provision of fixed and/or portable firefighting equipment.

Fire detection systems.

These are just a few of the considerations.

If you are in the UK go to your local Fire Station (Fire Prevention Officer)

They will be able to provide the practical information you are requesting.

If you live in France talk to the Pompiers.

Although the laws are different the basic principles are the same.

[quote user="DAVID"]

Finally, is there a document that outlines what is needed for 1 star, 2 star etc?? I'm looking at a no star hotel that is for sale and the owners tell me they offer the same 'level' as 2 star ??!! Why are they not 2 star then , I ask myself?!

[/quote]

The star system is based on facilities and in particular in the room. You need to think thinks like tea and coffee, TV, phone etc. Small hotels come under Logis de France, you might find their website helpfull. I have only had a brief look (its in English as well as French) and thought it might give an idea.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1110018/ShowPost.aspx

Try this post... I asked a similar question a while back... I think that things are not that simple but for example the size of your rooms will be a decider which star you could be.

regards

osie

• 2 months later...

Yes if you purchase a hotel...you still get what you pay for.

I know of something interesting for sale which is a small hotel with a seperate owners house....with a resturant.

All set-up in the correct manner.Not mine...I do not have a hnotel/restaurant.