Could I send the meal back to the kitchen?

Kitty

The time limit set for deleting seems to be a couple of seconds ...

Agreed Q. - if something is not right I'll always discuss this immediately with the waiter - quietly and pleasantly, and never fear some kind of disgusting retaliation. I suppose it does depend on how you say it. I do like the way Chefs in Switzerland come out to shake hands and talk to clients - and get feed back.

• 5 months later...
[quote user="Fi"][quote user="P2"][quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="Bugbear"]Always a difficult subject which, even if handled with the utmost courtesy, can result in unspeakeable things being done to your food in the bowels of the kitchen. .[/quote]

My husband is always convinced they either spit on it or wipe the meat somewhere unmentionable, he will never send food back (which was why 'we had to' eat the steak in the steak knives thread [:(] )

[/quote]

SWMBO at one point in her life was involved in the catering industry - her advice, never send anything back no matter how you do it.

Apparently, chefs can be very precious.

If there is somethin on the plate or as a side dish that she does not eat she always messes it up to stop it being re-served.

Paul

[/quote]

So to avoid hurting the fragile feelings of the precious chef , we shouldn't complain if the food is sub-standard/not as described on the menu/not as ordered (e.g. well-done rather than blue)?   And then pay up meekly?   

Please tell me you're joking......

Fi

[/quote]

Sorry, only just seen this reading this thread again.

No, I am not this I am told does happen.

Regarding others comments, you mention the problem apologetically to the waiter - fine, he then goes in to the kitchen and says:

'A very nice customer has said .......'

or

'You've screwed this one up'

Take your choice.

And yes, if something has not been touched on the plate it may come back out again to another diner.

SWMBO also tels stories of saying something to a chef who takes exception, off come the whites and he/she storms off - result no chef so start cooking.

Paul