Five Star Hotels now in France

started as of 23rd July all hotels must reapply for their stars... 50% in our region have not bothered.

It is also only france wide and apparently Europe will be doing the same in a year or two.

... we have been advised not to increase our star rating for that reason...no one would be willing to pay for it.

[quote user="osie"]started as of 23rd July all hotels must reapply for their stars... 50% in our region have not bothered.
It is also only france wide and apparently Europe will be doing the same in a year or two.

... we have been advised not to increase our star rating for that reason...no one would be willing to pay for it.
[/quote]

I was under the impression that Star ratings were decided by an independent agency. Having spent most of my working life living in hotels I have often found that star rating doesn't always mean the highest price, there are too many anomalies involved, location, services provided etc. Also some hotels can't get a 5 star rating because they don't offer certain conditions, but may still be way better and expensive than one that does.  

The accrediting agent is atout-france.  I imagine it is a government body.  If you were to create an account you can see all the points necessary for the different stars or I might be about to download it if you are interested... the main things seem to be size of room, accessories (lamps, electrical points), appliances(phone, hair dryer, shoe shiner), public spaces(bar, salon).  Stuff like that.

https://www.classement.atout-france.fr/accueil

So, I have to admit that although the star rating does not mean much on weather you will like the hotel or not, it is a good indication of the size of your room and what amenities you can expect.

btw: the new French system will mean nothing when the European one is finally put into place but one would hope that the European one will run along the same lines.

btw: watch in the next few days as stars start dropping off of reservation systems like booking.com and hotel.com.

I find it difficult to believe that a telephone is still a requirement. The cost to maintain a system in every room must be high.

When I travelled  a lot 20 odd years ago the hotels charged astronomical rates for both local and international calls. With today's cheaper rates even international calls via a mobile must be more economical.

complete waste of money for us.. but nevertheless necessary...

As we have only 7 rooms it is a smaller waste of money compared with those with more...

I recall that 5* meant you need it in the bog too....

But if someone calls the hotel and asks to speak to you (without having your mobile number), how could they pass them on if you don't have a 'phone in your room?  Also for room service etc. you need a 'phone.

As for the astronomical rates, does that bother those in a palace?     [8-|]

Just imagine a chef d'état in a hotel room without a 'phone.

The main cost is incurred with the external dial out... rather than having a handset in each room.  However, you are right... it is another nice to have which is utilised .1% of the time.

Those in a palace probably dont count the sheets they use to wipe their bottoms but for the rest of the developed world it is yet another expense.

• 2 weeks later...
Expedia and the like operate there own systems of grading anyway. Its a nonsense, people look at booking agencies far more then that do at national schemes. I am sure the EU will spent millions and France will create several departments involving at least 20000 staff  to operate any scheme.