Restaurants and wierd shaped plates.

I have noticed this year in some restaurants I have used for years a trend to move over to plates of oll shapes to dish up meals . Meals that are smaller in size that come on big round plates that are with a three inch wide rim decorated by fancy artwork drizzels of dressings.while the meal is in a breakfast bowl size hollow in the middle . I have also been served up a meal in a big smoked glass bowl that tapered down to a small base .I was thinking of asking the waiter if I had made a goldfish homeless by my choice from the menu . I know the French seem to prefer to eat with a fork in the right hand to scoop up most things from what I see these days but not me .

Is it a ploy to serve smaller meals for bigger profit or is it just an "in thing " to do ? I cant say I like it give me a normal dinner plate any day .. .

And those square plates too, or slate. I don't get it, give me a plain white porcelain plate any day. Incidentally, my friend's daughter, a waitress hates all these fancy plates, murder to get in the dishwashers too, or they need hand washing!

Still none of it as bad as when nouvelle cuisine started, going home hungry was not what I wanted when I ate out.

[quote user="idun"]And those square plates too, or slate. I don't get it, give me a plain white porcelain plate any day. Incidentally, my friend's daughter, a waitress hates all these fancy plates, murder to get in the dishwashers too, or they need hand washing!

Still none of it as bad as when nouvelle cuisine started, going home hungry was not what I wanted when I ate out.

[/quote]

Maybe they're just trying to give you a square meal? [:-))]

At least your bread wasn't served in an old slipper l!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/restaurants-serving-food-shoes-random-5309573

and your rum cocktail wasn't served in a suitcase (this link is definitely worth following for the pictures!)

https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates

I've noticed that tables for two are getting smaller while the plates are getting bigger. So sometimes the tableware meets in the middle or hangs over the edge of the table. We ate at a place where the bread had to go on a shelf nearby!

This week in a Deli / Café we were served toasted sourdough bread on rather battered enamel plates. Now I like shabby chic but this was downright scruffy.

Daughter was offered jam and when it arrived it was in a regular pot which was half empty and obviously previous diners had been able to dip their knives in it. Far from appetizing IMHO

In Café Rouge I was served a croissant in a rough wooden box, luckily the butter was wrapped and the Bonne Maman jam was in an individual pot.

National Trust today had their scones displayed on a very new looking wooden spade which lay on the counter!

Where will it end???[:-))]

We were given a voucher for 2 nights B&B and dinners at a 2 Michelin starred restaurant with rooms in Cumbria for our joint significant birthdays, and went there last week.

I've never seen such an assortment of plates and containers as our 17 course taster menu was served on/in!

Just to mention a few, there was a wooden box filled with seashore pebbles with the first starter on top, an oyster 'pebble'. Then there was the little china sack, packed with delicious flavours of (if my memory serves me right) creamed celeriac, Tunworth cheese topped with mushroom 'ash'. I can't remember what was served on the pink carved rectangular blocks of shaped pottery, but the 'dish' really stood put.

The whole dinner was fascinating, fun and delicious I hadn't been at all sure I would enjoy it, but it was something to remember forever, especially those sacks and the smoked eel with ham fat, which had smoke wafting around when presented!

Yes, it was, Russethouse. A lovely experience with delicious food. We enjoyed our meal the first evening at Rogan and Company, but were so glad we'd left L'Enclume for the second evening. Another couple did it the other way round and felt it was a big mistake.

We liked L'enclume but wouldn't do it again...the waiters were a tad 'evangelical' and having asked if there was anything I didn't like they just ignored it......we liked Rogan and Company and would go again and just eat there or at the pub which we didn't have time to try.....

Our latest foodie visit was to Nathan Outlaws new restaurant in Port Isaac....we've already booked to go back.....

[quote user="gardengirl "]We were given a voucher for 2 nights B&B and dinners at a 2 Michelin starred restaurant with rooms in Cumbria for our joint significant birthdays, and went there last week.

I've never seen such an assortment of plates and containers as our 17 course taster menu was served on/in!

Just to mention a few, there was a wooden box filled with seashore pebbles with the first starter on top, an oyster 'pebble'. Then there was the little china sack, packed with delicious flavours of (if my memory serves me right) creamed celeriac, Tunworth cheese topped with mushroom 'ash'. I can't remember what was served on the pink carved rectangular blocks of shaped pottery, but the 'dish' really stood put.

The whole dinner was fascinating, fun and delicious I hadn't been at all sure I would enjoy it, but it was something to remember forever, especially those sacks and the smoked eel with ham fat, which had smoke wafting around when presented![/quote]

I am delighted that your significant joint 90th celebration sounds so enjoyable, GG.

Makes me wonder why people in our old folks' home get given sloppy mince in gravy and jelly and blancmange for dessert on the excuse that they cannot chew their food properly.

Oysters, creamed celeriac, Tunworth cheese certainly do not require much chewing?  And what teeth do you require to enjoy a hot chocolate fondant pudding?

[quote user="mint"][quote user="gardengirl "]We were given a voucher for 2 nights B&B and dinners at a 2 Michelin starred restaurant with rooms in Cumbria for our joint significant birthdays, and went there last week.

The whole dinner was fascinating, fun and delicious I hadn't been at all sure I would enjoy it, but it was something to remember forever, especially those sacks and the smoked eel with ham fat, which had smoke wafting around when presented![/quote]

I am delighted that your significant joint 90th celebration sounds so enjoyable, GG.

Makes me wonder why people in our old folks' home get given sloppy mince in gravy and jelly and blancmange for dessert on the excuse that they cannot chew their food properly.

Oysters, creamed celeriac, Tunworth cheese certainly do not require much chewing?  And what teeth do you require to enjoy a hot chocolate fondant pudding?

[/quote]

How lovely that you think we're so young, Sweet  [:D]. yes. oysters etc get a bit boring after a while!