New gite

Somnus

We are just completing the renovation of our old and very small barn..no mean feat as we have carried all the work out ourselves including re-roofing and getting rid of the mud floor and mud between stonework! Anyway we wanted it for family and friends to use when they visit but there will be lots of time when it will be empty so we thought we would rent it. Question...is a dishwasher essential....most people tell me yes but I don't have one and as the gite will only take 4 adults (2 bedroomed) or 2 adults and 2 children I don't think it is essential. There is a washing machine. Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks

somnus
'the best of wealth is in giving, the best of happiness is happiness of the mind'
www.drugfreetherapy.com

Is a dishwasher essential?

I think that if you wrote a list of even (lets say) 200 (essential) items required to make a perfect holiday, a dishwasher would not be on the list.
It is my experience that the more you give people, the more they (think) they need.
Surely dishwashers are the fluff of the mod con world (Con with a capital C ) . Its obviously a personal opinion, BUT!!!, why do people go on holiday only to want to be surrounded by everything they have at home. And lets not start on about caravans here!!.
So, sorry if some of you out there can't get by without your d-washers, but I for one will stick to the "Fairys" and rubber gloves (ho ho).

Well must go and scrub that dirty pan.

Gram

Just think about how much washing up 4 adults can generate over a day (loads!), and why people go on holiday (R&R). As Gay says, many of us regard dishwashers as indispensable at home, so why would we feel the need to wash up on holiday? I can happily live without satellite TV, but wouldn't consider anywhere without a dishwasher. The slimline ones take a full days dishes, but don't occupy too much space, so could be a solution if space is limited.
Maggie