This season

Luby

Last year we bought a large house in the Midi Pyrenees. It's being used a lot by the owners- a group of friends- but we intended to let it when It was not in use by us.

We have created a pretty OK web site (I think) www.frenchescape.net- I'm not advertising; I'm looking for advice- and we have advertised on French Connections and Chez Nous, and in half a dozen free web sites.

we have had 31 enquiries, of which 12 have for been for pre-booke times. NONE of the rent have turned into lets.

Would you, of your kindness, please tell me what you think we might be doing wrong?

LAST EDITED ON 13-Jun-04 AT 01:15 PM (BST)

Have you tried putting you house in the "Late Availability" section on French Connections? you may pick up some last minute bookings there.

I do feel that French Connections and other sites have taken on so many properties this year that would be renters who are searching these sites are not seeing the wood for the trees.

Gill

Your market is reduced by the fact you need large groups to book and make the place affordable

For a group of 4 looking to get away the place would appear very expensive - could you possible split the place into 2 X 6 people accommodation?

It does look lovely though - hope things pick up for you

Mike

------------------------------
http://www.splash-internet.com
------------------------------

If you forward me your coordinates I can pass you on any requests we have for which we cannot help.

I put out a request in the Gite section a few days ago searching for accommodation in Biarritz to Bordeaux - Midi Pyrenees covers that area.

If you want I can send you their details.

Best regards,
Deby

We advertise only in Chez Nous and we were almost fully booked even before the 2004 edition was published last November. When I say 'fully booked', I mean June to mid September because I personally think that is the only realistic time to be certain of bookings unless you are near to the channel ports.

I have turned away almost 100 enquiries for the weeks in August that you have vacant so I can only assume that your house is too large and too expensive. I would also imagine that the market for large groups of people sharing must be very narrow compared to the normal parents plus 1-3 children.

Most of our bookings are arranged over the phone in the evenings or weekends - your website doesn't invite this and I would certainly be put off phoning a law practice as it appears to be via your contact details (you going to sue your customers?).You also appear to be keeping all the peak times to yourselves so is it really worthwhile spending all that money on advertising if you only have 1 or 2 weeks up for let at peak times?

Your house looks very attractive and your website gives enough relevant information to prompt an enquiry. Have a look at mine on www.myfrenchholiday.com for what I consider to be a nice simple and very informative website that has certainly kept the phone ringing (no advertising intended and no bookings wanted). Hope the comments help.

Doug

May I suggest you have a close look at your pricing. My personal 'bible' when I am trying to decide how much we should charge is the Brittany Ferries French Collection brochure (they have a web site also). They have places in the south west with pools priced at around 1200 maximum in high season. There are not many as big as yours and they may not have all the amenities that you have but I think that is the sort of competition you are up against. Booking through a large company people do feel they have a certain amount of security that they may not get with a private owner and they also get a discounted ferry price.

I also notice that you have quite a number of weeks crossed off so there aren't all that many to choose from. For the English market the season for large groups, ie with school age children is very short. Last week in July and a maximum of 4 weeks in August. I have found even the last 2 weeks in August generate much less interest than the first 2.

I agree with the person who suggested dividing the property up if you can. I used to let 3 bedrooms sleeping 6 and had no trouble at all in filling about 18 weeks each year. It was priced so that 4 people could take it if they wanted without feeling they had paid too much.

Liz (29)

Hi there

Hope that this will help you - I visited your web-site to get an idea of what you were offering etc but found that the web-site didn't load well. It looked as if there should be some pictures but these never down-loaded, neither did the calendar of availability.

It may that your site is only displayed correctly at certain screen resolutions.

I don't want to criticise as I am currently working my way through designing my site and it's not that easy, however I know that if people were having trouble viewing it I'd like to know.

Best of luck for the future - I hope the bookings pick up

Hi

Have had a look at your website. The other point I have noticed that on your pricing you say it is always best to check as the price may vary - people will inevitably think that you will increase the price not reduce it so that will be a put off.

Also think the Solicitor's contact address is a bit off putting. I am married to a solicitor and that is the last sort of thing we would put on our website. I keep that in reserve for those likely to try and sue us - a good one to keep under your belt.

Good luck

Carole