New Gite 24

Button

Hi all, we are in the process of finishing a new Gite which has three bedrooms, two doubles one single and two bathroom one with an on-suite, there is also a pull-out soaf bed if needed, in total the property will accommadate seven people they also have ther own private swimming pool and private entrance even thought the property is attached to our main residents, we keep trying to decided what would be a reasonable price to charge for a weeks rental in the hight session, we thought about 350.00 wonder if you all think this is reasonable or to cheap or to expensive, also what are good advertising sites and do you think it pays to have your own web site!
The property is 10 to 15 mins north of Perigueux in the centre of the Truffles region.

Many thanks all,

Sam

Definitely too cheap!!!! I was letting our house out as a gite two summers ago (2002 season) and getting plenty of repeat business from the previous year and we were charging 350 for a two bedroom, two bathroom gite with no pool. We were booked up for the whole summer by mid-March too!

Having said all that, a good way of determining your price range would be to look at similar gites to yours in the same region and see what they charge (French Connections being a good source). I then added about 25 per week to my prices and still never suffered.

Coco

I agree with Coco about the price, if your house is picturesque and well furnished, I am sure you could charge a lot more, particularly if you have a pool.

I also think it is definitely worth having your own website - we bought our house last year and only started letting it out last August, and we managed to let 7 weeks last year, and already 16 weeks up to end of August this year (and I am confident that I will get some more bookings for Sept/October as we are in Upper Normandy and within easy reach of Calais so a good off-peak destination).

I have tried various advertising media (ebay, interschools advertiser, cards in shop windows, etc) but by far the best places for me have been www.frenchconnections.co.uk and www.visitfrance.co.uk.

Frenchconnections is a very popular site and is in danger of becoming oversaturated as there are now so many people advertising on there. Also, its interface is somewhat dated - I have complained to them about this (for example, they don't display thumbnail images of the properties in the lists) and they have assured me that they are updating their site and it will be released in the next 6 months. But they are also expensive and charge you every time you want to amend your text or add extra photos.

VisitFrance is a fairly new site and I think it is fantastic. We joined up on a free trial, but even when you start paying it is cheaper than FrenchConnections yet it is so flexible - you can add loads of pictures, amend your text whenever you want, manage your calendar, and once a day you can update the site so that your ad is placed at the top of the list. I am getting more and more enquiries from them and thoroughly recommend them.
(It also helps that there are only 2 cottages in Upper Normandy on their website so I am not having to compete with so many others - but this may change if I enthuse about it too much!!!).

But I am sure that having my own separate website as well as the standard pages on these two sites also helps.

Good luck with your venture!

Catherine

Almost certainly too cheap - peak season prices should be around 100 per person per week but don't count or advertise the sofa bed. There is a difference between private use of and privacy which can sometimes have an affect on price. As an example, we were renovating a house next to a small gite for 2 with a 'private' pool which had been advertised in Naturist Monthly or some such publication, but there was absolutely no privacy - not that this seemed to bother our naturist visitors when we were there but apparently the owners did receive a number of complaints (that was 450 a week for two and the place was so small there wasn't room for a double bed).

Regards

Charles
http://www.lesflamands.com/hr