Chez Nous "Availability Plus" service

Patmobile

We advertise in Chez Nous and have received a good proportion of our bookings from it.

They've started to offer a Booking Service called Availability Plus where they take the booking direct and receive a deposit payment of 10% plus Vat, by credit card, from the customer. The gite owner then receives the balance in the normal way 6 weeks before the holiday.

If the holiday is booked at short notice (less than 6 weeks) they take full payment and send the gite owner 88.25% immediately.

Apparently the gite owner retains the right to book his own clients direct, i.e. not using this service, and, if necessary, or if he/she wishes, to refuse a booking made by the system.

I'm not totally convinced I want to go in for this, although there may be some benefits in selling late availability and short breaks out of season.

Has anyone tried Availability Plus already? Does it work? Any problems?

If you haven't tried it, why not? Do you know something I don't, or are you just waiting, like me, to see what will happen?

I look forward to reading your comments.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

I looked at this and thought that it was ridiculously expensive for what they do. I would be interested to hear also of other gite owners experiences. Filling last minute vacancies is always a problem. I even tried ebay this year as I had one week at the end of August in one of our 4 gites that just did not sell but ebay didn't sell it even at a knock-down price.

I maintain Chez Nous is on its last legs and is desperate to get revenue. Someone even phoned me up last night and asked me if we've used the new availability system and then tried to sell the booking service to me. Pre-internet I always remember thinking what a pain it was searching through page after page of the Chez Nous brochure trying to find the right property based on next to no information or pictures and to survive I think they will have to become internet only.

For me, they hardly bring any bookings in, the brochure's only published after the main season's already booked and I wouldn't touch their booking system with a barge pole.