Do clients leave their brains behind?

Paul Carmel

The general public comes in all shapes and sizes and with all likes and fears and if you make a living out of them you would do well to remember that its one thing to make jokes of them within the confines of your family circle but quite another to all and sundry.  Perhaps when your bookings dry up you may wonder whether it was in fact you that left your brains behind.

Weedon

original post: 'What is the strangest request/question you have had while renting out?'

Really . . . . all I'm doing is asking a perfectly reasonable question in a forum aimed at gite owners, who may therefore have had similar experiences. It was just for a bit of fun and to start a lighthearted and, who knows, maybe interesting thread.  It's not as if I was naming names or even intending to make fun of certain individuals (although believe me I could!). Anyway strange requests and questions can be exactly that, they don't have to be derogatory or laughable.

But perhaps this isn't possible here . . .

Paul,

Yes it most certainly is possible on here and most welcome. There have been books which have been about the laughs one has had at a guests expense or about certain guests.

It is not nasty and can often end in a belly laugh with the client. We had an American lady here of, shall we say "large bone proportion". She bid her goodnights to one and all, after a wonderful evening of excellent  food , great humour and good wine. Off she and her daughter went then.........seconds later there was an almighty bang.

The new single bed had taken it's best shot from said lady but was not up to it. A sheepish but good humoured lady from N. Carolina poked her head around the door and simply said, that the bed had sadly come out second and could we assist her. A friend and I went to the room to find a pine bed sadly in bits on the floor and only the headboard stood proud amongst the debris.

She and her daughter were in fits of lauhter, me, well the bed wasn't cheap but the lady was OK and that was the most important part. Anyway the bed had to depart by the French doors and over the balcony, whilst our dear colonial friend said she would be OK on the mattress on the floor.

To end the story my friend, staying with us for a holiday and an extremely competent chippie, repaired the bed over the next 48 hours to a far more sturdy condition than when new and our lovely guest was most gracious about the return of her bed!  At the end of their stay her first demand was for the bill for repairing the bed, "certainly not" we said, the great way she reacted to the laughs that evening and her attitude from that night was a eye opener to us and in an era where people constantly tend to moan about holidays,(often in search of remboursement in many cases) this southern belle was a credit to the States and in getting by through times of adversity.

No fun poked at her just one of the things that happen weekly at our humble abode

I guess our strangest request this year was for a bed for a 7 foot man, no problem we put something on the end of our biggest bed and luvvly jubbly, one satisfied guest but for one night was it worth it? Well I suppose not but I hope any 7 footer won't be put off by my post !!

We have more but I am just about to munch now.

Keep posting Paul and come on Bert, Paul was not being nasty, get off that grumpy juice and take more Pastis................

What a strange mix you are Weedon. 

The general public comes in all shapes and sizes and with all likes and fears (here you profess tolerance and take the high moral ground)

and if you make a living out of them you would do well to remember(very condescending) that its one thing to make jokes of them within the confines of your family circle but quite another to all and sundry. 

Perhaps when your bookings dry up you may wonder whether it was in fact you that left your brains behind(here you descend into an intolerant, boorish comment).

Weedon

After a day with not much to occupy myself and upon reflection maybe I did make an unavoidable error in pontificating at length about your original posting PC.  In future I will make sure "Bert" tunes up before replying.

After a working life spent in a service industry I must say I found the general public, very often, to be a real pain in the wotsit which is why even though we have a renovated building suitable for renting out I won't contemplate doing so.  Maybe the problem is me you might say and you could well be right but I thought the original posting was expressing a view that some clients were a "sausage short of a barby" and in that respect was not right to air it here.

Weedon