Lost keys - should I replace locks?

CatherineS2

Our current renters have just lost a set of keys during their trip to Rouen yesterday.

Given that the keys have no address on them and it is unlikely that anyone knows where the people are staying, I am not sure whether I ought to change the locks and deduct the cost of this from the security deposit, or just to get another set cut.

I would be grateful for other owners' points of view...

Thanks for any help/advice offered!

Catherine

I think it's for you to decide - how much do you trust the renters, i.e. are you confident that they have really lost them or might you expect a visit to your gite during the night some time?

Personally, I'd fit the euro-type locks with interchangeable barrels, and change the barrels yearly if they have the type of keys that are difficult to get copied, or more often if they are the cheaper type.

Do your insurers not cover you for replacement locks ?

Having said that I don't know whether my French insurers do for me !

The other poster does raise a more general point though. How long can one reasonably go on giving 'the keys' out to strangers without having some shared blame if one of them has copied the keys and come back to steal stuff, perhaps form other visitiors ?

Surely the answer is just to get a new set of keys cut and if you feel the need charge the guests for this only. If the address was not on the key ring, I would say there is no real risk. If your guests were really going to return later and break in (which would seem highly unlikely!), then surely they would just have had the keys copied...

I'd relax and treat it as a minor bit of bad luck.

Stephen.

I was thinking of installing a lock with a numerical keypad like a combination lock for our front door. You also get a key which can override the code and you use the key to set new codes. You can change the code as many times as you wish.

Does anyone have an opinion on these or know of a good make in France.

Diana

• 2 weeks later...