Booking Etiquette

Lindsey2

As a first-time gite booker, (not owner!), I am looking for some advice that I hope you gite people might be best placed to offer.

I have just booked a week in September in a French gite, through Gites de France - whose service was remarkably fast and efficient, I have to say. Obviously all communication so far has been via the agency, but as the full name and address of the owner is included in the paperwork, I am in a dilemma as to whether or not it would be the done thing to make some direct contact with her.

It's not that I have anything particular to say, other than possibly a rough ETA, and to write something polite in French would be quite an effort, but wouldn't want to be thought rude if contact is normally expected.

Any suggestions?

I would say that this is up to you.  We used to book our gite holidays regularly with Brittany Ferries who used to provide a postcard on which you stated your ETA as a courtesy for the gite owner/manager.  There was no expectation for anything more.  However, if the desire takes you, and you are up to it, write a short note with the ETA.  It can't do any harm and most certainly would be well received.  Conversely, if you can't manage that - don't beat yourself up over it!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who is with Gites de France and consequently turns up in the Brittany Ferries brochure.  They have a system where they send the client a blank postcard to fill in and send off to advise the property owner of ETA and whether bed linen is required.  This is all she needs to know.  One thing that always confuses her is when British people put arrival 6pm.  This means nothing to her - stick to the 24 hour clock please!

Liz (29)

Yes, drop her a line, tell her you are looking forward to your holiday and when you will arrive. As an owner I would welcome such pleasantries from arriving guests - it reassures me that they are not savages!

Paolo

The vast majority of people say nothing these days when booking via an agency. At most we would get a note to say that they need a cot or something like that.

On the other hand, for those that do provide us a bit of extra information, it's almost always useful. I'm not really one to look for "we're looking forward to staying with you" or similar but it can often be useful to say why you're coming (if there's a specific reason) eg lately we have had a family whose holiday was ruined because they'd not said that they were planning on cycling around here for a couple of weeks (not a runner in 30c plus temperatures with two kids in tow).

It's also often useful to know how people are getting here. Normally we just see "arrival 6pm" or whatever. If we know people are coming by car then we can advise them how best to get here avoiding the traffic jams (at crazy levels this weekend, of course) - one family added four hours to a 7 hour journey yesterday through not asking us! We've had a couple of people arriving by train at 11pm and planning on picking up their hirecar at the station; all the carhire places close by 6pm here (despite accepting reservations for pickups at 11pm!!).

And then there's the things that you can pick up from a little note - like whether people would like to see the view over the castle or if they'd rather be on the (slightly) quieter side of the house.

Arnold