Contract and holiday rental advice

Can anybody point me in the direct of a decent contract for holiday rentals please?  I know Ive seen a link in the past but cant find it on a search.

Also, if we do eventually rent out it will be just to family and friends for a nominal amount merely to cover costs i.e. water, gas etc., does this need to be registered or are we likely to get away with it on an informal basis?  If we are going to get stung for any type of tax then I would rather pass this on to begin with than end up out of pocket.

Thanks for any advice.

Having asked a similar question about contracts a few months ago, I suggest you'll find more help at

http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/

Regarding regsitration, for the occasional stay, I would be inclined not to, although the situation depends on whether you are a French resident, if so, whether you are already employed (therefore already paying into the "system)...

No doubt, someone will write with more informed advice...

Clair

Thanks Clair.  We are not French residents no and Im still unsure as to how much I want to dip my toe into the rental market but you do get some pressure from those close to you so Im tempted to give it a try next year if I dont run into too many complications.

I will try the website you gave to start with.

"Also, if we do eventually rent out it will be just to family and friends for a nominal amount merely to cover costs i.e. water, gas etc., does this need to be registered or are we likely to get away with it on an informal basis?  If we are going to get stung for any type of tax then I would rather pass this on to begin with than end up out of pocket"

I think you may have two different things going on here. I assume by 'register' you mean as a small business often referrred to as a micro entreprise.  In the circumstances you describe you do not have to register, it is not a question of 'getting away with it' you simply don't have to.  The only thing you may have to do is collect tourist tax, this will depend on where you live; some places collect it and others don't.

Then there is income tax and as a non resident with income in France you would have to tell both the French and British tax offices of the sum you receive for lettings each year.  You can offest one against the other so that you do not pay twice.

Liz (29)

Thanks for that info Liz.  Excuse my naivety but who collects the Tourist Tax i.e. how would I find out whether this has to be paid or not?  This is the sort of thing Im thinking about in that if taxes have to be paid then I would rather pass this on in the first place. 

Cheers,