600 euros a week

SaligoBay

I'm not a gite owner, can I come in and ask a very quick question? 

Visiting friends are staying in a 4-bedroom gite (spacious, and easily sleeps 10, all in proper beds, there are good views, it's quiet, clean) a few miles up the road.  Each bedroom has its own toilet and shower room, there's a buanderie, a lounge, and a nice kitchen.   Unlimited electricity, bedsheets are provided (and washed once a week), towels are provided.   The owner is on hand for any problems.

But they feel 600 euros a week is a lot of money, because the dishwasher doesn't work and there's no TV.

What would all you experts say?

Thank you!!   

As with most things,you get what you pay for. If this place has four en-suite bedrooms, is nicely fuurnished, electricity and heating included, linen included, then that sounds like a reasonable price at this time of year.

If the owners are on hand then why can't they arrange for the dishwasher to be fixed ? I must agree that it is strange that TV is not provided as most quality gites provide this facility these days. If your friends are staying for a long period, perhaps they could negotiate the provision of a TV and maybe split the cost with the owners ?

Your friends could probably find somewhere with a cheaper basic rental cost but then it might not include electricity or linen and is unlikely to have all en-suite rooms.

I would say that if the gite is convenient and comfortable for your friends then they should be content with what they are paying.

It sounds as though the 600 euros a week was agreed to, but having seen the accommodation and facilities, it now appears to be expensive.

If it was fairly advertised and has everything as described in the advert - perhaps some small discount could be given re the dishwasher - then the price is fair.

600 euros a week!!! That's one helluva lot of dosh for November/December low season. Cough, splutter...that's 2400 euros or more per month. What are the summer rates??

Is it French (gite de France) or Brit owned? Even in your lovely part of the country SB there must be cheaper rates for the winter.

I'm no expert but since when did that stop anyone replying to posts on the Forum?  You don't say when but my impression this is now, so very low season. For a place sleeping 10 it doesn't sound too bad to me particularly if everything is included.  A lot depends on the location, if it is a particularly touristy spot it wil attract a high price.  If the dishwasher doesn't work and the owner is nearby why don't they get it fixed or negociate a reduction?  Surely they knew there was no TV before they booked?  You could have a look at the Gites de France web site to get a sample of prices although many owners don't open up in the winter.

Liz (29)

Is it French (gite de France) or Brit owned? Even in your lovely part of the country SB there must be cheaper rates for the winter.

It's French-owned.  There's a real lack of gites round here, as I now know!  The tourist office in Castries had about 5 accommodations on their list, 4 only do summer, and the 5th was a new hotel, where they'd have had 2 pokey rooms and 2 sofa beds for 600 euros a week.   I've just done another quick search, found a gite a bit further away, says 3-4 people, 44m², 2 pièces, 1 chambre (sounds TINY!), lowest price is 300 euros a week, and no dishwasher!

Wherever you search, there are loads on the way towards Spain and the Pyrenees, but this really seems to be a dead area.   One nearby village even got letters from the Mairie saying that if you have something you can convert as a gite, please do it, because there's such a lack in the area. 

Another French-owned one, also very nice, sleeps 6, but wanted 600 a week plus electricity, and he didn't provide bed linen.  He also wanted 30% of the total 3 weeks in advance, which I couldn't do.  Having already lowered his price to that 600, he wasn't interested in further negotiation.  Did have a TV though.

The owner has bought a new dishwasher, and is trying hard to get it installed, but there seems to be a problem with a blocked pipe somewhere underneath. 

Okay, I'm garbling now.  It's the stress and the responsibility.    Thank you for listening, everyone, and thank you for your input. 

Whingeing poms.

LOL, they're whingeing Aussies, in fact! 

Peter mpprh thank you thank you thank you, you may have saved my sanity (or is it too late for that?).    This has been difficult because they're here for 7 weeks, which is a long time in a gite, but not long enough to go through the references, wage slips and all that stuff needed for a proper rental.   It had to be close enough for her to commute to work every day in Montpellier, but also close to me so that I can entertain her mother and children while she's at work.  As well as feed and entertain my visiting father, feed, entertain, taxi service for my poor neglected son, shop, do tourist-guide duties, change train bookings..... oh, and fit in a bit of work too!

Just as well I'm a woman, eh, and can think of more than one thing at one time!    

Hi.The rate sounds fair to me-you do largely get what you pay for!(Our place is a similar price but the furnishings were very expensive-each sofa was well into 4 figures (£'s ) for an example ).The lack of a dishwasher needs sorting but presumably they knew there was no TV when they took the place? As Gay says,these can be bought cheaply but then if there is no aerial it isn't much good!! Presumably no satellite either.Hope they enjpy their stay,and your entertaining!

Price sounds very reasonable to me.  Sleeps 10 and has all ensuite bedrooms - plus electricity and linens included.  As long as it is clean, it sounds like a pretty good price.  However, if I read correctly that they will be renting for 7 weeks, I would think a slight discount could be offered (that is a long time).  Having said that, the owners really must fix the dishwasher.  I suspected that since it wasn't fixed, there was something more than just a simple machine repair.  If it involves deeper plumbing problems, that may be harder to get repaired - more expensive, etc.  As for a TV, it is true, most rentals have TV's.  If there is no aerial and no satellite, then there is no point borrowing or renting one unless you want simply to watch DVD's each evening.  We paid 100 euros for the dish and installation.  This would have to be arranged by the owner and would certainly aid in future bookings, but every owner is different.

Price sounds pretty good to me.

Oh I feel jealous now. We started looking at properties around the Canal Du Midi, then had a quick flurry further north but settled in the P-O in the end (excellent views !). If your market info about the lack of gites in your area is right then we should have looked harder.

Having said that it sounds big and nice. Does it have a pool ? I know that is not relevant this time of year but as it seems to double prices in the summer it might have a halo effect on off-season expectations from the owners.

No TV ? Unlikely to be an issue of cost of TV, more like the 150 euros a year TV licence. We are seriously considering surveying our renters to ask how relevant the blasted thing is.

Dishwasher not working ?  As a Gite owner I would expect some leeway if something stops working and as long as I am applying all best efforts to get it going. But after a while some discount/gesture should kick in.

I hope they have a good time anyway.

John