HELP!

Loopy Lou

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From memory, Slough has two M4 exits and Staines is on the M3, its roughly where you turn off for the M4 (so I guess you argue its on both ?)I think (depending on where you are going and the traffic, because I turn off and go across past Runnymede, into Windsor, then either onto the M4 or through the back roads Money Row Green, Holyport, Twyford and onto the A4.)

I better swot up because I'm going to Hampton Court soon!.

Of course both the maps I have to hand are of France !!

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Will "]

No, my signature is actually Cyrillic (Russian) script, after a bit of a vogue for such - it translates as 'I was a moderator, but I'm better now' SNIP.

[/quote]

And I thought it was Jamaican written in Russina as it actually translates as "I was regulator, but I is better now" just need to add man at the end [:D] (you don't live in Slough by chance and know Mr Cohen). Mind you the best one which has now gone was something about 4 and a sausage which I never got at all.

[/quote]

Staines, Quillan, Staines!! The Staines Massive is probably still functioning AFAIK. Staines is off J13 of the M25, nestling snugly between there and the M4, and comes under Surrey for local govt purposes. 'tother side of J13 is Runnymede and Old Windsor, which are Berks.

Two Mods, both well off topic and both getting things wrong....I

remember when a Mod would only post when they were sure they were

right......come to think of it, I might be wrong about that.

Mods, things right....nah, better put a smiley, last time I made a joke

and I didn't do so, someone (no names naturally) spat their dummy

out...............[:)]

Croix Blanches, right on all counts. I would vote for you as a Mod...............[;-)]

[quote user="Miki"]Croix Blanches, right on all counts. I would vote for you as a Mod...............[;-)]
[/quote]

Hmmmm..Miki...let me think.....Mod? silent religious order? Mod?silent religious order? Mod? silent religious order? (I'll get back to you. This dahlia seems to have more petals than I first thought[;-)])

No doubt you are right, its the M25.

The truth is that when I go there I do something which seems contrary road wise, because I am on an A road but it runs parallel with the motorway (all too close) and then I veer off in a way in a way that makes me very cautious, which is probably a good thing !!!

It is not my favorite piece of road!

If anyone has ever heard anything good about Slough let me know. I originally come from an area about 5 - 6 miles away and I am still waiting............used to be the largest industrial estate in Europe, if you are a chocolate lover, Mars is there...and then there is ............?????

French interest - Citroens used to be 'finished' there.

'I was regular but I am alright now' sounds like somebiody trying to assert that they are not anal  (in the sense of  'I am spontaneous/anarchic ')

Correcting the counties in which Stains and Slough reside (if you can say reside with respect to Slough), not that is uptight !

OR

Is it all above me ?

We could play the French (Paris Métro) rules, as this is a French forum (allegedly) - in which case, as you will know being an avid Stovold reader, the object is to reach Château d'Eau whilst forcing one's opponents (Les Autres) into exposing an Open Lateral Flank (Flanc Latéral Ouvert).

I'm not sure of the position of being in spoon (en cuillère) in the French rules, or whether or not players have to lean to the right. Also there may be a difficulty in getting out of Knip (Cnippe).

[quote user="Russethouse"]

No doubt you are right, its the M25.

The truth is that when I go there I do something which seems contrary road wise, because I am on an A road but it runs parallel with the motorway (all too close) and then I veer off in a way in a way that makes me very cautious, which is probably a good thing !!!

It is not my favorite piece of road!

If anyone has ever heard anything good about Slough let me know. I originally come from an area about 5 - 6 miles away and I am still waiting............used to be the largest industrial estate in Europe, if you are a chocolate lover, Mars is there...and then there is ............?????

French interest - Citroens used to be 'finished' there.

[/quote]

Mars is closing down (if they haven't already done so)

Citroen still have their UK sales and marketing offices in Slough, as do Fiat

If you turn off the M25 at J13 going to Windsor then you have to go round the roundabout and back along the road parallel to the M25 for about 100 yards. If you turn off the M4 at Datchet, then you can follow the road parallel to the M4 for about a mile. Slough is still lovely, and Mornington Crescent is still totally baffling......................[;-)].

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[/quote]

Courtesy of John B 1937:

Slough

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!

It isn't fit for humans now,

There isn't grass to graze a cow.

Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens

Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,

Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,

Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-

A house for ninety-seven down

And once a week a half a crown

For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin

Who'll always cheat and always win,

Who washes his repulsive skin

In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak

And smash his hands so used to stroke

And stop his boring dirty joke

And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add

The profits of the stinking cad;

It's not their fault that they are mad,

They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know

The birdsong from the radio,

It's not their fault they often go

To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars

In various bogus-Tudor bars

And daren't look up and see the stars

But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care

Their wives frizz out peroxide hair

And dry it in synthetic air

And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough

To get it ready for the plough.

The cabbages are coming now;

The earth exhales.

Not a bad little doggerel.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]We could play the French (Paris Métro) rules, as this is a French forum (allegedly) - in which case, as you will know being an avid Stovold reader, the object is to reach Château d'Eau whilst forcing one's opponents (Les Autres) into exposing an Open Lateral Flank (Flanc Latéral Ouvert).

I'm not sure of the position of being in spoon (en cuillère) in the French rules, or whether or not players have to lean to the right. Also there may be a difficulty in getting out of Knip (Cnippe).

[/quote]

Would it not be simpler, as a starter for those unfamiliar with the game, to play the Provençale (Napoleonic period) rules? 

[quote user="Cassis"]...we can avoid Mayle's Gambit (I've never seen any point in it , personally [/quote]

[blink] Golly! I think it is really underrated - remember, it was considered quite revolutionary, influential even, in its time. [geek]

Yes, but now considered rather passé.  I think if we want to continue this we should move to the Lounge, but I have to go and ruin a piece of meat now (we're having a BBQ) so I'll see you all later.  Mustn't get too close to the BBQ myself.

Phil

Hi Dick - my edit to my message crossed with you posting your last one.  If you'd like to start a game sometime in the Lounge and alert me I'd be happy to participate.  Anyone else want to play?   have to go now - really.  Jude's started to glare at me.[:'(]