Can't reply to you Fumanzoko

Alexis

If it is in their name, you are not responsible.  The utility people will chase them up.  Now they have moved out, they will want electricity, water and telephone for their new abode and they won't get them if they have a big red cross on their name.

The utility people may come round and cut off the meters and then you have to pay to be re-connected in your name.

This happened to me with an electricty meter when the tenant had not paid.  I would let the utilities know though.  Your tenants could just say that there was an error and their post wasn't forwarded...

How did you manage to jigger up the reply service?  Well done!  Even I haven't done that yet[:D][:D]

Thanks Alexis, not sure what you mean about the reply service, I've double-posted maybe that's caused it. Anyway that's a good point about them having problems with their next place, however it is a Gite in the Coulonges-sur-Autize area I beleive,  in which case the bills are usually left in the owners name aren't they ?  So that poor owner is going to have a nasty surprise in six months time.

I'll send a letter off to SAUR and EDF to clarify the situation. I'd imagine the re-connection charges won't be pretty.

Was there ever a golden age when people abided by gentlemen's agreements......

Not there won't be thousands, a couple of dozen at most. When I find out where they are, I'll certainly be in touch with the owners. I'll make sure they don't get away with this a second time,  though come to thnk of it maybe they already have, I know they were in rented accomodatioon in the UK too. I guess a reference from the previous landlord is the way to go for a long-term rent.

No, I don't think it is that much to re-connect.  We asked only the other day about cutting off our supplies whilst we were away but the current is not actually cut with a man coming and putting a 'seal' on the meter, just switched off and we telephone when we return.  About 15€.  If you get new tenants, they pay!

Don't panic, one day they will want utilities and they will get caught.  If you have their address, tell EDF etc.

Nice surprise for Christmas[;-)][;-)]

I don't know what happened to replying to you.  It was just your message, a big empty space and the post button.

Doesn't matter.