Hints for owners of Gites and second homes

Blanche Neige

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - I often feel that second-homers are second-class citizens here, either abused by the Cornish for having the temerity to own one at all, or just ignored. Perhaps we should have our own section?

The discussion of changeovers/keyholding, for example, could go some way.

I certainly agree with this. We have done this - and try to repeat it every year for a night or two - and it has proved worthwhile. It's also worth trying to spend a week using the kitchens to cook your meals, which is a very good way of finding out if there are any essential items missing or discovering blunt knives !

Eslier, good point: over the years we too have tried all the beds chez-nous.

Being a second home owner who lets the house for a few weeks then of course we make good use of it and certainly check facilities, cooking utensils and so on.

Didk wrote:

Yes - I often feel that second-homers are second-class citizens here, either abused by the Cornish for having the temerity to own one at all, or just ignored. Perhaps we should have our own section?

I'll second that![:)]

We occasionally sleep in the guest rooms just to use the showers - the rooms are much nicer than our own and the showers incomparably better!  In winter it's useful because it uses up water from the hot tank if the Blue and Cream rooms (separate hot tank from the rest of the house) are empty for a couple of days.  We'll get round to redecorating our own quarters and fitting ourselves a new bathroom one day ...

Valleyboy, I thank you for recommending Bref Power red spray bottle fro removing limescale off shower doors.

As a gite owner wanting to do a quick turn-around on a Saturday, I have yet to find a better product to do the job: spray it, do something else for 5 mn and just rinse off...

Brilliant! [:D]