Looking for a wheelchair-accessible gite in Seine Maritime

CatherineS2

I've just had someone enquiring about accessibility at our gite, but we realised it wasn't really suitable for his wheelchair-bound wife.

They are looking for a gite in Seine Maritime - does anyone know of anywhere, or any suitable disabled-friendly websites which may list one?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any in Seine Maritime but have six accessible apartments in Brittany, Côtes d'Armor - they may be interested!!

Please tell them to be aware of Gites de France and tourist board stating places are accessible though - I have visited 127 locally available places all supposedly accessible and actually found three others that I would consider to be accessible....the rest all had "small" steps, or no level access shower, etc. So I would definitely go for somewhere recommended by other wheelchair users.

Please email/pm me if you want my website details - don't know if I can post it here!![:)]

Thanks Jaqui. I did warn them to be very careful if they booked through Gite de France, because I was a bit sceptical when I did a search and there were about 100 properties supposedly wheelchair accessible which I found a tad suspicious.

Anyway, they have now decided to stay in the UK this time, and maybe try again in France next year.

The site above is info for people (like me) who want to get the label - "Tourisme et Handicap"..

It is always worth contacting your local APF - Association Paralyses de France, if they say something is accessible, generally it is, normally a disabled group member will have been round, visted the property and done an access audit - always ask if a gite or accommodation has an "attestation de APF". If they have then APF will have rated the property

For example:

Accessibilité avec une certaine autonomie:

Access de plein pied, au batiment

sans rupture se niveaux a l'interieur

possibilité d'utiliser la piece commune

circulation autour des 3 côtés d'un lit

etc, etc. If you want to see a copy of a certificate - have a look at my website - its on the page - downloads and then certificate of accessibility