Proximity of owner to gite

Mark

In 'Starting A Business In France' by André de Vries, he claims that one of GdF's conditions for a gite de sejour is that the owner 'must be within 15km' of the gite.  This, I am sure, is nonsense, but could someone just confirm that for me please?  Perhaps it used to be the case and the book hasn't been updated (my edition was published in 2004 so it's by no means ancient).

Thanks [:)]

I think it must be rubbish as a large number of gite owners live in other countries!!  However they do seem to have a lot of trouble getting reliable caretakers.  If you don't live nearby it is a real pain having to go out in the middle of the night when the lights fuse and your guests can't get them working again.  I would think even 15 km was a bit tricky for keeping your eye on things and going back and forward for the maintenance/cleaning.  But as I say lots do it.

GdF may well have that restriction and might prevent a gite owner (or their caretaker) who lives further away from being categorised as a 'GdF gite'.  However, there are plenty of other organisations to advertise through that have no restrictions at all.  We live 35 minutes away from our gites and clearly there is increased costs from travel, but we have had no major problems so far.  We have been called out when power lines came down during a storm and there was no electricity, but that is classed as part of the job.  We ensure that our guests know where the spare light bulbs are and the trip switch to the electicity box should there be a violent storm.  We made a conscious decision not to live 'on site' and so far we are happy with how it has turned out.  It might not suit everyone though.

You can be registered as a Gite Rural (the 'normal' type) with GdF even if you live in another country but you must have a caretaker / representative nearby (but not if you want a grant).

A Gite de Séjour is a totally different kettle of poissons, you would definitely need to be on hand to run one of those.