Last minute bookings/empty gites

Audois

I live in one of the region's prettiest villages, I've had a gite a number of years & I've never had a year as bad as this.

It seems it's not just me; the village gites aren't full, nor are some of my neighbours, it's bizzare ...

Anyone else having the same problem this year?  Last minute bookings are coming through occasionally but usually I have the summer booked up by the end of January.  Currently have the whole of August empty!

What's going on?

We are full apart from the last week in August, which always seems hard to let as everybody in UK is preparing for the return to school. If your bookings normally come in early then you can't blame the floods - don't know what to suggest apart from changing the site you advertise with.

Moorejw said

"We are full apart from the last week in August, which always seems hard to let as everybody in UK is preparing for the return to school. If your bookings normally come in early then you can't blame the floods - don't know what to suggest apart from changing the site you advertise with."

We are not a gite property as such but do let our maison secondaire when we don't need it. Our experience has been the same as above, bookings for July and August seemed to flood in during May when the weather turned very wet in the U.K.

We have had some very recent enquiries from people wanting:

a) any two weeks in August (...............in their dreams!)

b) last two weeks in August (with flight tickets already booked!)

We are in Brittany too and are full right up until the end of October.  We are amazed as it's our first year, and are also getting bookings now for 2008.  I have to wonder when it's all going to slow down....

jill&paul, I don't know if you are aware, but your site

http://gitededordogne.com

doesn't work in Firefox, the text in the various paragraphs is all over

the place. I know most people still use IE, but I think something like

29% of people use Firefox as their browser and you would probably lose

the interest of those visitors to your site immediately.

1280 x 800

The purple copyright footer appears on every page in various positions, none of which seem to be the correct one! But maybe my screen resolution is the problem. I keep my website to fixed 750 px max so it fits all screens (with no horizontal scrolling [Www] )

I use Internet explorer 6  1152*864

Your foot of page text is running off into the copyright bar.

Otherwise (and this is not meant to be nasty) may I suggest that you have used  too many colours ? There may well be problems with readability for many people.

Thre are web sites / forums  where you can submit your web site for comment (expect constructive bruising). I think that webproworld is one of them.

Good luck

John

[quote user="ltf"]I think something like 29% of people use Firefox [/quote]

Less that 12% worldwide, less than 5% in the UK, the stats from my site seem to echo this:

Browsers (Top 10)   -    

BrowsersGrabberHitsPercent
MS Internet ExplorerNo1519988 %
FirefoxNo13747.9 %
SafariNo2731.5 %
MozillaNo2621.5 %
Unknown?530.3 %
NetscapeNo340.1 %
Opera

• 3 weeks later...