Formalities

Breton Networks

This is probably answered somewhere, if so, can someone please point me in the right direction.

We are just finishing the renovation of a 2/3 bedroom building attached to our house.

This was originally for my Mother-in-Law who has now decided that she doesn't want to move to France but we have a friend who would like to rent it (until at least next April) after that we may put it on the Gite market.

My question is really what formalities do we have to go through to:

a, Rent the property long term

b, Operate it as a gite.

Thanks in advance

a) draw up a long term letting contract (or better still get a notaire to do it for you - the tenant can be asked to pay for this) and make sure you know what your and your tenants legal rights and responsibilities are.

b) nothing, assuming it will not be your main source of income, except find some cstomers to rent it next year.

For either a or b the income will need to be declared in your next French tax return.

Thanks for the reply

[quote user="Eslier"]a) draw up a long term letting contract (or better still get a notaire to do it for you - the tenant can be asked to pay for this) and make sure you know what your and your tenants legal rights and responsibilities are.[/quote]

Makes sense.

[quote]b) nothing, assuming it will not be your main source of income, except find some cstomers to rent it next year.[/quote]

OK, I thought I read somewhere that you had to inform the Marie &/or some other authorities.

Regards

[quote user="Breton Networks"]

OK, I thought I read somewhere that you had to inform the Marie &/or some other authorities.

[/quote]

There is a new requirement for Chambre d'Hotes to register with their local Mairie but there has been nothing said to indicate that this also applies to self catering gites. It would, of course, be polite to let your Maire know what you are intending to do but I do not believe there is any obligation to do so unless you are in an area where Tax de Sejour (tourist tax) is charged in which case you will have to register for collecting this from your guests.