Gites and registering with the chambre of commerce

Thebiga

In general the answer you are looking for is as follows:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Answer the following questions:

1) Is the income from your gites likely to exceed 23000€ ?

2) Is the income your main source of income (i.e. more than 50% of your earned income)

If the answer to EITHER question is "yes" then you should register at the Chambre de Commerce.  If the answer to BOTH questions is "no" then you probably don't have to and can simply declare the income on your tax return.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  

Registering as a business has its advantages. You may even find that registering under the réel tax régime instead of the micro could save you money. If you intend to go down the route of registration then you would be well advised to seek the advice of a French accountant who will almost certainly save you far more money than he or she will charge you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your answers, but I have today been to the chambre de commerce in Nantes and have been told that I do not have to register.

The 23000 Euros and the 50% of earned income are I think if you are a proffesional landlord only.

If you are just renting gites under a micro-bic you do not have to!

Anyone know any better than this as I keep hearing different answers and thats from the chambre de commerce.

Adrian  

[quote user="Thebiga"]

If you are just renting gites under a micro-bic you do not have to!

[/quote]

Adrian, this is a bit confusing. You stated in your first post that "We have Gites and we have registered as a Micro-bic, but can someone tell me if we have to register with the chambre of commerce."

OK. If you had registered already as a micro-bic, where did you do that? A micro-bic is only a form of tax regime for a business.  In France, if you want to start a business, you must register it at the appropiate Centre de formalités des entreprises (CFE). Each kind of business will be registered at a particular CFE. For my business (artisan), I had to register at the Chambre de Metiers. If you want to register as a gites business, the appropiate place to do that is the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie, but you then said that you went there and they told you that you do not have to register. It is not possible to rent gites under a micro-bic without it being a registered business.

Can you clarify your situation for us, please?

Danny

We went to tax office and filled in a (declaration de debut d'activite) and was told by them at the time that was all that was needed. We were then sent a siret number by INSEE (Institut national de la statistique et des etudes economiques). And as I said today that the chambre of commerce said everything was fine after looking at out siret number etc. They did say that maybe we should go back to the Impots and check everything but she said as far as they are concerned we are fine??

As long as your gite business earns less that the microbic plafond of 76,300€ you do not have to register with the ch de com. There is no texte that says that you do, provided that you are just doing 'locations meublés' and do not offer any ancillary services such as meals. You can get a SIRET by registering with the hotel d'impôts. However, bear in mind that if you have no other income in France you may not get health cover now either unless you register with the Ch de Com (if the CMU is no longer available to immigrants for the first 5 years).