Keysafe users beware

alnmike

Hi all

We were burgled last night, our cottage is about 40km south of Cherbourg. They got in by forcing our keysafe off an external wall, taking it away to drill it open. It seems they were disturbed before doing too much damage, but have stolen various electrical goods and my husbands tools. [:(]

Im really sorry to hear that , its alwful. Thankfully not to much damage , bet you feel like thumping some one at the mo! Its a worry being so far away isnt it? Have you seen it yet or has some one in formed you from france ?[:(]

What is a key safe?  I assume its a safe on a external wall with the keys in ?? Im not being funny but why do you do that ?

Yes - I too found it hard to believe that someone would go to all that effort. Forcing the front door would have been easier!

Gendarmes said 'there's alot of it about'. Our French neighbours spotted it - great that they check everyday! With our friends over there we have got someone staying in the cottage tonight, and we'll be over tomorrow. I guess I'll have to pay for timed-changeovers now, for guests to collect the keys.

Very worrying, as we too have a keysafe. Where was your safe? Was it very visible?

Ours is tucked away in one of the outbuildings, and we don't keep the keys in there permanently - our cleaner puts them in there on the day of the changeover, so we'd be really unlucky if someone tried to force it during the few hours when there is actually a key in there...

But we will bear your experience in mind in the coming months now that the end of the busy season approaches - next weekend is the first time the house will be empty since last spring, so we really need to make sure our caretakers are more vigilant.

[quote user="alnmike"]  I guess I'll have to pay for timed-changeovers now, for guests to collect the keys.[/quote]

Actually, there is a "half-way" solution, as per my post above. You don't need to pay for someone to sit and wait for your guests, just for them to put the key there on the day of the changeover. That should be a bit cheaper? It certainly is for us, and our keyholder is much happier now that she is not tied to having to wait in for the guests to turn up.