guests have disappeared.

dave21478

Well, checkout time has been and gone and still no show.

I popped into the cop shop in the next village to ask for advice. The police are a bit worried about them. They did the basic checks - they arent wanted criminal types, its obviously not some kind of scam, and they have no reports of serious accidents for the family name or cars description, and no-one has reported them missing. They will look into things bit further and let me know.

They advised me to leave their stuff untouched for now "in case it needs to be looked at later"

Well, they have just turned up!

Genuinely sorry and rather embarrased too.

They left Wednesday morning to go to Spain for a daytrip, or maybe stay 1 night. By the way, it was wet that morning and the guy cant drive for toffee, when his car started to spin its wheels on the grass he floored it, hence the skidmarks!

They got to Spain and spent the day at the beach, spent the night, and started to tour around a bit before returning, when their car broke down catastrophically - Snapped timing belt, which usually means engine death. They didnt have my number with them, and were unable to remember the name of the gite or the village here, so seemingly couldnt contact me.

They had to hole up in a hotel there and make the most of their stay while a garage sourced and fitted a second-hand cylinder head for them. This took a good few days to get the bits and do the job.

They have just driven up from Spain today, and were planning on cleaning the gite and leaving straight away, but I said they can stay another night if they wish, as they have a very long drive home.

They have now called the gendarmes to confirm all is well and eat a little humble pie.

Bit of an anti-climax!

I shall now ensure that all my guests have a business card with details of the gite and phone numbers given to them on arrival and ask them to keep it on them in case of emergency. A lesson to us all. Thanks

There was a recent story in the press of a daughter arriving at her parents' home to find the back door wide open and a half drunk cup of tea on the table. She called the police and they started a search.  Later, the parents returned.  They had gone off in a hurry, one of them had been harried by the other and so had left the drink and had forgotten to close the door.

• 2 weeks later...