Security / Damage Deposits

Owens88

We've been running our business for many years and have not had a problem with collecing the damage deposit cheque and banking it.  But this year we've had 5 guests refusing to pay the damage deposit (even though they signed the booking form along with the t&c and everything was made very clear at the time of booking) - one sent a post-dated cheque for 1 week after their departure here, another refused to pay as they will not be damaging/breaking anything!  I think that with the high cost of bills - energy, food etc back in the UK is making people more cautious with their money.  They have now all paid!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>We had a French couple for B&B for a couple of nights.  The first morning, Madame came down to breakfast and asked "Do you change the sheets and towels every day?"  I was struck dumb for a nano second ..... you can imagine all the sarcastic comments that ran through my mind, but all I said was "No, Madame, this is bed and breakfast not a four star hotel !" with a big smile ! !

This is an interesting conundrum. I don't run a B&B but do stay in them and in hotels.  Ecologically I can see that sheets don't need to be changed every night, I don't at home.

BUT then why do not hoteliers/B&B ers offer a discount for 2nd/third night stay ?

(Aside. Changing every night is not just the habit of 4 star hotels. New towels were provided every day in all my recent stays in any hotel.)

Cheers

John

Thanks all.

I will stick to our standard practice. Bank the cheque and give a prompt return cheque. Don't charge for trivial breakages but be thankful for replacements .

One renter even replaced a sun lounger !

Cheers

John

BUT then why do not hoteliers/B&B ers offer a discount for 2nd/third night stay

(Aside. Changing every night is not just the habit of 4 star hotels.

New towels were provided every day in all my recent stays in any hotel.)

We do, in fact, offer a cheaper rate for 3 nights or more ! 

We too have seen towels changed every day in any hotel we have stayed in.  But not necessarily the sheets !

The original concept of B&B was actually staying en famille and sometimes even sharing their bathroom.  (I certainly remember this in Scotland and England MANY moons ago).  But, like everything else, standards/expectations have changed and now everyone wants hotel prestations at B&B prices.  (many people want to travel first class on a second class ticket !)  Are people now charging hotel prices for B&B???  I believe it is now obligatory for B&B rooms to have their own bathrooms????  Perhaps someone can correct me on that?