Second properties?

BYH

I have just joined this forum as I am interested to know the experiences of owners renting properties via the internet. Which are the most and least successful sites for owners? Do owners prefer fixed advertising cost or commission payments on successful bookings? And what the reasons for success or failure might be?

Another thing I have been wondering about, is given the current financial climate and all the doom and gloom - which appears pretty much global - are those owners who might have previously kept their second properties for personal use becoming more likely to help finance the properties through holiday lets?

Hello BYH

If you use the search facility using some keywords, you will find a lot of the information that you are seeking.  For example, a search on 'renting property' found:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=renting%20property&f=&u=

As for whether people will be trying to find holiday lets for their residence secondaire, I suspect that we shall all be trying to think of ways of generating extra income.  However, holiday letting is quite difficult if you are not on hand for the changeovers.  You can hire an agent to do it for you but there are problems doing that.

The season is very short, by the way.

"Another thing I have been wondering about, is given the current

financial climate and all the doom and gloom - which appears pretty

much global - are those owners who might have previously kept their

second properties for personal use becoming more likely to help finance

the properties through holiday lets?"

BYH

Whether second home owners will go down this route remains to be seen. I think the other question is will the "crunch" affect holiday spending next year? I suspect that bookings for gites may well be down on previous years.[:(]

"What would you say the season is?"

Usually the school Summer holidays are the peak weeks and people generally manage to fill their gites for those weeks. For the rest of the year
it will depend on where you are in France and what you and the location have to offer.

[quote user="Pads"]By the time you pay for some one to change over , advertise , pay income tax to the french and england is there much left ?[/quote]

Not a lot but we used to find that it was enough to cover the taxe d'habitation, taxe fonciere, electricity abonnements and our own ferry costs to France, so for those with a maison secondaire who didn't normally rent it out, this "small extra income" may be just what they need.

Friends of ours rent out 3 gites and get ALL school holidays, not just the summer ones; Christmas as well as June and September, so it can be a lot longer than the 6-8 weeks that some people think.

Agree with oscar - it covers all the running costs and pays for our trips several times a year, spending money and general upkeep and improvements to the property plus some left over (if we haven't gone mad).

We get some hardy types who stay in the winter months and even had Australians staying one Christmas! Depends where your house is though, if it's a town or near a town the season may be longer.

We prefer to have the house occupied even if you can't charge much in Jan/Feb, at least the house is kept warm.

Who knows what next year will bring!

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

"Another thing I have been wondering about, is given the current

financial climate and all the doom and gloom - which appears pretty

much global - are those owners who might have previously kept their

second properties for personal use becoming more likely to help finance

the properties through holiday lets?"

BYH

Whether second home owners will go down this route remains to be seen. I think the other question is will the "crunch" affect holiday spending next year? I suspect that bookings for gites may well be down on previous years.[:(]

[/quote]

My gut feeling is that next year is likely to be a pretty bad year for tourism on all levels...

I have considered renting out my place ..10 mins from the beach ...must be a demand for it  ...but  the thought of the boys in blue  turning up again and asking my "guests "  who they are...how long they are staying ... and how much they are paying me  to rent it kind of puts me off ... One visit is enough !