What kind of cooker?

Fi

Hi

I am in the process of kitting out our two gites, hopefully in time for the winter season (we have wintersports nearby).  I am in a quandary about what kind of cooker to provide.  The bottled gas cookers are much cheaper (around 200 euros for a simple model) vs. 350 for a basic electric jobby.  We live on site so running out of gas wouldn't be a problem, but I do have some concerns about safety.  However, being halfway up a mountain does have many fantastic bonuses, but it does also mean that the electrical supply can be temperamental.  There is also the question of the fuse box tripping out if someone is running the cooker, washing machine, has all the heaters on, dries their hair while making a cup of tea and a piece of toast.  Incidentally this part of France does not seem to be popular with the Brits (can't think why, it's very beautiful and only a 6-7 hour drive from Calais), so I imagine the majority of our clients will be French, Belgian, Dutch, German or Luxembourgeois(? is that the right term?). Not sure if that (nationality) makes a difference.

Another (vaguely) related question, is it normal practice to supply a fire blanket in the kitchen, and an extinguisher near the log fire?  I don't recall seeing any such items in french-owned gites we have used in the past, but it would seem sensible.  Where can you buy such things?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Fi

Hi Fi

I would definitely recommend a gas cooker for your gites, particularly if there is any risk of a power cut. Gas is much cheaper to run than electricity, and if your electricity supply cannot cope with two many electrical applicances at once, then a gas cooker would be the answer.

What I'm not sure about is what the regulations are with regards to gas cylinders in the gite itself. Perhaps someone knows the answer to this.

A smoke alarm/heat sensor (or two) is absolutely essential. A fire blanket and extinguisher are also wise precautions, and a robust fire/spark guard is a must. If you have room for a fender, that would also be useful as spark guards tend to block out sole of the warmth from the fire.

A good hardware shop, or DIY/bricolage shop would sell all these things.

I would go for the most simple cooker available. We have one with electric oven / grill  (not huge but still useful), 3 gas rings and an electric hob. The large gas bottle (that lasts for ages)  is stored in a cupboard that is an integral part of the appliance. If there's a power cut at least the clients can use the gas rings for cooking  / heating water. In my book as far as letting accommodation is concerned then the more simple the appliance the better, there's not so much chance of it being misused and going wrong. [:)]

Sorry, forgot to add : Check carefully how the oven door is fixed. People have a habit of balancing heaviy dishes on the door if it's the pull-down type and always seem to break the spring. The other thing is that if the glass is literally glued onto the door, it will eventually drop (as ours did). Reparable, but not if you've got punters in the following week !

Callie, our oven door is pull down as you describe but in 8 years this has not been a problem (hope I am not tempting fate here[blink]) and the appliance has been well used over the years by us and our clients. The other good thing about this simple cooker is that it has a lid so when it is not in use the lid is down and provides extra work space though I do put a plastic runner (think that's how I would describe it)  on top to protect it .

In the big gite, there is an electric cooker, which raises a few eyebrows on the tour - people dont expect it at all. Personally, I think electric hobs are rubbish for cooking, unless you have a very expensive sophisticated one, where a gas hob is so much better and simpler.

The small gite has a cooker as mentioned above....3 gas rings, one electric one and an electric oven - best of both worlds if you ask me. The gas bottle and regulator is outside, with a copper pipe running in through the wall to the kitchen, with anoher shut-off valve then a flexible hose to the cooker.

I would want to change the electric one in the big gite and replace it with a gas job, but.....well, its not going to get done.

Cendrillon - our oven door glass dropped after 8 years !!!!! But it shouldn't have dropped at all if people hadn't balanced heavy dishes on it. i got it repaired at Leclerk service après vente and they reglued it. Now I ask punters NOT to put heavy dishes on the door !

I have a gas hob with 5 rings and an electric oven in my big gite, electric cookers and ovens in the others (one halgen which is sooo easy to clean). There has never been a problem with the gas bottle (as long as you always have a full spare one!), but you need to make sure that the hose connecting the gas and cooker is renewed regularly (they have dates on and recently the normes changed for the type of hose used).

There is no requirement for fire precautions in gites, but I have smoke detectors in all mine, and foam fire extinguishers. You can get all the fire extinguishers and alarms ad Brico stores (although blankets are harder to get hold of). TBH, there different fire equiptment is needed depending on the type of fire, where it started etc. The best thing to do is have smoke alarms and get everyone out asap.