Backlinks to gite websites

Chris Jewell

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Chris Jewell"]I am in the process of building backlinks to our website to improve our search engine position. Anybody got any tips to share?

[/quote]

I agree it's a good idea to build backlinks (inbound links) as even the man with the inside line, Matt Cutts, admits that Google puts store by them (on the principle that if a site links to you then someone out there thinks your site is of some merit for something!). 

If you can get sites that don't require reciprocal links, or offering a 3-way linking strategy, all the better. 

Always try to include your keywords in your linking anchor text.

[quote user="cassis"][quote user="Chris Jewell"]I am in the process of building backlinks to our website to improve our search engine position. Anybody got any tips to share?
[/quote]
(on the principle that if a site links to you then someone out there thinks your site is of some merit for something!). 

[/quote]

only if its a big site - Microsoft.com for example

• 3 weeks later...

Whether they improve your search engine ratings or not, they must be worth having if they result in people visiting your site who might otherwise not have.  We now do see a high proportion of visitors viewing our site who have arrived via a backlink. 

I did a lot of work last year on trying to improve our website's search engine visibility - and it has certainly worked.  We now get first page results even from some of the least likely sounding searches.  I know this because I use Statcounter to track where visitors are coming from and what they searched for.

The trouble is, after all the changes and improvements I made to the site, and several months delay before they really take effect, it's almost impossible to put my finger on exactly which adjustments had a positive effect and which didn't.

So the answer must be to just try everything the experts recommend, including building credible backlinks, and hope that some of it will pay off. 

Patrick   

[quote user="Patmobile"]

Whether they improve your search engine ratings or not, they must be worth having if they result in people visiting your site who might otherwise not have.  We now do see a high proportion of visitors viewing our site who have arrived via a backlink. 

I did a lot of work last year on trying to improve our website's search engine visibility - and it has certainly worked.  We now get first page results even from some of the least likely sounding searches.  I know this because I use Statcounter to track where visitors are coming from and what they searched for.

The trouble is, after all the changes and improvements I made to the site, and several months delay before they really take effect, it's almost impossible to put my finger on exactly which adjustments had a positive effect and which didn't.

So the answer must be to just try everything the experts recommend, including building credible backlinks, and hope that some of it will pay off. 

Patrick   

[/quote]

A decent website where you can find it with a search helps as well.