Taxi service for paying guests, sightseeing?

milkeybar kid

At the very least, you would need full passenger cover on your insurance, as you are, in effect, operating a sort of taxi service, though not actually for hire or reward. Just as those who work for estate agents and take clients around have (or should have, as I suspect there are many who don't).

I sometimes collect and deliver customers to the airport and occasionally take them out.  After lots of advice I have obtained 'occasional' professional cover for the car and have also been advised that such services must be included in the price of their stay and not as an added extra which would in effect make me a taxi driver.  As it is not a regular thing in my case this covers me, but if you are offering guided tours etc it is a different scenario.  Check that you actually have the proper cover for your car.  I originally asked for this and was told I was covered.  When I changed cars I read through my contract and couldn't find anything.  The insurance company were quite dismissive and said that if I had an accident I could say my passengers were friends!  Yeah, right.  It took quite a lot of pushing to get the extra cover, but it was not too expensive.

Oh the French excuse of - mes amis would be interesting to hear the outcome in court where; one of mes amis was killed/disabled due to an accident whoever was at fault when you were driving.

You are quite correct in insisting on the extra cover Cerise.

Thanks for the feedback. Somewhere (perhaps a gite specific website ) I read of the scenario of person wanting to collect gite guests from the airport and or take them for specific tours once ensconced in accommodation, all part of the package when originally booked. The mega regulations were listed hence the search . I will pass the info on .Thanks again.