Feeling Sorry for Myself

Fi

This is just me letting off steam - I need to rant a little!

Nightmare evening last night! Very young French guests

(?early 20s) - 2 couples + 2 lab type dogs. Have already had words about smoking

in the gite (strictly non). When they arrived, I informed them we had two

sheep lawnmowers - "that's OK, the dogs are tres gentil and we will supervise them - pah). Btw,

had to keep reminding them to pick up les crottes. They were in the

apartment which does not open into the garden direct (- however they

just let the dogs into the garden unsupervised despite earlier assurances...)

Much crashing and

banging around 1130 last night - the other set of guests (3 German veterinary students -

will have to get them thank you gift or dish out vast aperos) knocking on the door -

the dogs have been chasing the sheep, the sheep have panicked and

JUMPED THROUGH A GLASS WINDOW, fallen a couple of feet and landed in the shed. The

vets had the wit to shut the shed door so the sheep could calm down.

The dog owners ran around like things possessed shouting and screaming

- just wound up the dogs more. Finally got rid of dogs. Sheep appeared OK

(apart from being terrified). I went to see the French group, told them

sheep appeared OK, but I would check them over properly in morning. (they are fine - a couple of little scrapes but nothing terrible).  One of the French party informs me that if they knew we had sheep they

would have supervised the dogs more
[:'(] And why couldn't they have the apartment that opens directly into the

garden (it was already reserved by students anyway - and its kept animal free

for good reason - allergy ridden family and friends).

Adding insult to injury - for some bizarre reason they lit a

massive log fire (it's July and even though not tropical, around 20 degrees here) - they had left all the

vents open, about 6 large logs burning, flames and sparks shooting up the chimney, chimney breast in my apartment (above theirs) scorching - possible danger of chimney fire

- couldn't  go to bed until it cooled down.  First hefty g&t taken (strictly medicinal of course). 

Got to bed around 0300.  Not in the best of moods this morning.

They've gone now. They wouldn't pay for sheets, but it seems they didn't bring any either so I have to wash and dry all the bedding before tomorrow when the next lot of visitors arrive.  Had to leave every window open and got through several vats of Febreze and it's ilk to get rid of the smell of smoke.  They left their rubbish in the kitchen bin (in fairness though they left the floors/bathroom/kitchen etc immaculate), and some rather suspect "offerings" under the beds [+o(]

Perhaps I should start charging a minimum of

25 euros per hound - and 30 euros per crotte picked up by moi - and

1000 euros for psychiatric treatment pour mes moutons! Can anyone

translate that into French please????   Or at least have a 10 euro/creature "contribution" to the SPA, and increase the caution for doggy parties...

I want to go on holiday.

Fi

Fi - sorry to hear your tale of woe.  Hope you and your sheep have recovered.

For all the above reasons we do not accept dogs in our B & B, even though we have dogs of our own.  The one time someone managed to sneak one in when we weren't looking,  it peed all over a bedside rug and it too left a littel offering under the bed[+o(].  Did you take a security deposit - because if you did, if I was you I'd keep it!

Because we have a dog, it seems hypocritical to refuse other dogs.  But mine is an elderly springer with all the aggressive tendencies of a chocolate mousse.  The majority of our guests are French/Belgian/Dutch/German and they seem to expect their companions to be welcome.  We have had other dogs here and had no problems at all.

I did keep some of the deposit for the window repair though.

They were only here for 2 nights - don't know how they managed to cause such carnage!  I'm going to be charitable and blame their relative youth or I'll get all bitter and twisted.....

Fi

I have no idea how to include a picture on here, but we too have a male english springer spaniel, stupid but loving dog.  He loves people, a bit too much I guess as he doesn't let them be.  I have never been asked if someone could bring a dog but I'd consider it as he loves other dogs (except for males!).....

sounds like a nightmare what's happened in the gite, why on earth would they light a fire in July....crazy people!

[quote user="Fi"]

I did keep some of the deposit for the window repair though.

[/quote]

But why didn't you keep the rest for cost of washing bedding, care of distressed sheep etc - it's not as if these guests will ever come back. Shame you're not in England you could have (note have not of) shot the dogs.

John

Easy to refuse other people's dogs.  Much as I love mine they are not allowed in the bedrooms or dining room.  Most guests would like to take their's to the bedrooms with them, so no doggies.  Even the nicest dogs drop hair and are a bit grubby, plus if not regularly Frontlined we could easily have a nasty infestation of fleas[+o(] 

Don't forget that not accepting dogs reduces your pool of potential clients.

I manage a lot of holiday homes for absentee clients, and I know that those who won't take dogs have lost out especially on off-peak weeks. Those who accept dogs ask for a cleaning supplement which allows for extra care at the end of a let.

I have seen more mess with kids (especially toddlers, sticky fingers all over every vertical surface as the little darlins' learn to walk around!) than from dogs. And as for teenagers..... mascara all over the pillows, nail polish on the furniture, damaged pools etc etc

And for those of you with a no dogs policy, what about assistance dogs, have you encountered that dilemma yet?

[quote user="Polly"]Don't forget that not accepting dogs reduces your pool of potential clients.[/quote]

We used to take pets in the gite, but found that the owners would go out for the day, leaving the dog attached outside.

No more.

[quote user="Polly"][quote user="Clair"]

We used to take pets in the gite, but found that the owners would go out for the day, leaving the dog attached outside.

No more.

[/quote]

What, all your dog owning clients did that?

[/quote]

Once was enough.

Having to walk past that dog several times a day during the week the family was there was enough.

Such a shame as we are totally responsible, clean, respectful owners of a very well behaved dog - and we do find it difficult to find places we can take her to.

So sorry to hear of this ordeal Fi - hope the rest of the Summer goes well.

Rather than have a blanket ban on dogs, I am just going to be stricter in future i.e. a contribution to the SPA per dog, maximum 1 dog per apartment, extra 50 euros on the caution, no dogs to be left on the premises alone, dogs to be supervised at all times, pick up your poop (bags provided!) - none of these should be a problem for responsible dog owners.  I think we were just unlucky, but at least it has made us think a bit more - not all dogs are as well-behaved as our old boy.  (Also going to add a clause to the T&C's about the essential nature of sheets - either theirs or mine!)

Still not sure about the big log fire in July though!  Maybe they thought it was romantic - it certainly heated us up nicely [:D]

Feeling a bit more relaxed now (helped along by a few glasses of Riesling (Alsatian of course!) - thanks for all support and sympathy.

Fi

We take our three dogs to hotels, with our own huge blanket which adequately covers the bed to the floor so that if they sleep against the bed their hairs do not stick to it. I also carry parcel tape to detach any stray hairs. We definitely would not leave our dogs in the hotel unattended, they go in the car while we eat, it is only fair to them and the hotel owners. Our dogs are also exercised outside the hotel garden\grounds, even if it means walking them on leads at 11 pm at night. What are these people on, they give us responsible dog owners a bad name.

Suey

There is no sneaking done here, we book in, having already advised re: the dogs and have never had a problem.  There is no way you can sneak anywhere with a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Border Collie and a Pedigree Heinz!!!  IBIS and ACE Hotels are very accommodating and also if you ask very nicely Logis de France.  The villa we rent for a month in Spain (and have done for the last three years) even waives the damage deposit.

Suey

Sueyh - I agree with you, and even occasionally go to hotels with dogs myself.  However, I decided on the no dogs thing chez moi as unfortunately an awaful lot of people are not responsible and I really didn't want the hassle.  I do have two nice dog cages and have been known to make an exception if the owners agree to their dogs sleeping in the cages.  Most immediately say 'No - he sleeps in our bed' which means they are not the guests for me.

We had horses staying at the B & B the other day.  They were delightful, didn't remove their make up with the towels, didn't wake the neighbourhood coming in at 3.00 am and did a passable job of tidying up the garden.  Their owners were nice too.

Our dogs definitely do not sleep on our bed, one sleeps in an indoor cage - because she eats the furniture and the other two make do with the floor!  Mind you the Border Collie does on occasion (very rarely) make himself comfy on the armchair if I forget to flip up the cushions to stop him - petit merde!

Suey

[quote user="Polly"]Still waiting for gite & B&B owners views on what their response would be to assistance dogs - and I also wonder what would they say to me, with an 8 month old wannabee guide dog?[/quote]

I would tell you very nicely that "we do not accept pets." Furthermore "due to the numerous stone steps

and high terraces, we do not recommend the property for those with very young children or mobility problems.
" [:)]

[quote user="Polly"]The sort of reply which could land you in trouble : an assistance dog is NOT a pet. People with a hearing dog may have no mobility problems whatsoever so that argument is out of the window

Over to you.....[/quote]

Argue all you want, you won't change my mind! [:D]

Don't worry, I do not intend to waste my time in online arguments.

I do however suggest that you might like to check up on the laws relating to assistance dogs and on discrimination against the disabled.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Polly, seriously, should all holiday property owners have to accept all bookings or are they allowed to decide who they can or cannot accommodate?

My rental property is really not suited to those with walking difficulties (20 steps to the front door, steps to the bedrooms, more steps to the garden), so it is explained in the T&C.

Similarly, it written in the T&C that we do not accommodate pets, which 99% of people understand to be dogs (or even cats, at a push).

There are plenty of holiday rental peoperties which are better suited to people who have mobility problems or who accept pets.

A B&B owner on this forum states that children under the age of 13 are not accepted in his establishment.

Should we all be forced to accept all bookings (subject to availability, of course) or be made to feel the hand of the law?

I would accept an assistance dog as I know it is not a pet.  However, my property is not really suitable for anyone with real mobility problems or for anyone blind.  We can and have accepted people with various handicaps but are always careful to point out limitations which may spoil their holiday.  Although I would accept the assistance dog I still wouldn't be that happy, as I don't really want dogs(mine or anyone else's) in my bedrooms EVER and it would also restrict my own dogs.  There are plenty of people who think otherwise and are happy to accept pets, in fact most hotels in France accept pets so not accepting dogs has never really cause me problems.  B & Bs and gites are not really the same as hotels in so far as they are usually people's own homes and I feel that, within reason, we should be able to decide what we will accept in our own homes.

Cerise and Clair, whilst your holiday properties may not be considered to fall within the category of a 'public area' like a hotel, it's a grey area of the law.

Refusing a person access because they are disabled (a wide term which includes those who are blind, those who are deaf and those with mobility problems and other cases) could amount to discrimination, and could leave you open to legal action. Not the best sort of publicity for your business!

In practice, you are unlikely to face the question very often, so my advice would be to smile, describe your property accurately, accept their booking if they wish, with their dog (no, you cannot charge extra for an assistance dog, it's NOT a pet in the eyes of the law) and get on with it. The feel good factor you'll get will probably be worth the odd dog hair.

For those of you who advertise 'disabled friendly' accommodation, take a look at this hilarious article:

www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.1771512.0.so_this_blind_guy_walks_into_a_revolving_door.php

For info, the UK Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. The same principle applies in France, a simple starting point for any info is http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_handicap