Things left behind by guests

Dianes

What is the strangest thing guests have left behind in your gites?

We regularly have guests leaving items of clothing, spectacles, toiletries, pens, etc. And of course a lot leave food, drink, charcoal, etc.

We live in the UK and rely on local cleaners for our changeovers, but a few weeks ago we didn't need them as we were arriving for our holiday on the day the previous guests left. To our surprise we found a hidden stash of £150 inside the microwave oven!

The guests had been frantically phoning our home, and left loads of messages on my mobile, which I hadn't noticed. They had been using the microwave as their safe!

If we hadn't been there it would have been a good test of the honesty of our cleaners - and also a check on how thoroughly they cleaned.

Have you had any surprises like this?

Passports buried in the spare blanket pile - left by the same couple who left all their house & office keys in the same place last year.....fortunately this year they kept their mobile on, so was eventually able to let them know so they could rush back...........last year they didn't check their messages till they reached the UK, so were locked out for a few days...otherwise all the usual, knickers, kids toys, books, jewellery.  Most we post back to them, the food & drink we treat as a gift (we live on site..) the books we read...& hopefully if they come back they can collect the following year.

We live on site also and treat any sealed food and drink as a perk of the job.

As far as things left behind well not much really apart from the pink see through ladies knickers found under the lounge sofa!! Probably wouldn't want us to send them back [:D] [:D]

Nothing of note here really. The odd pair of socks and thats it really. One lot had a child who left their Nintendo DS, but they came back for it despite being nearly 90 minutes away when it was noticed missing. They obviously couldnt bear the thought of a bored teenager in a sulk about it for a 10 hour car journey.

I do get a fair bit of food left. If its still sealed, I either take it for myself or leave it in the gite if its not something I fancy. I have had a surprisingly large amount of Cornettos and other ice lollies left as they wouldnt survive the guests return journey. These get eaten.

Opened packets of food either go to the animals or get binned.

hi ok

2  brand new non stick frying pans  and  ...........................  an artificial leg complete with straps ..... and they came and left on a motor bike .......... ?????

It`s still kicking about here some where

Dave

A rather fab Monopoly Monde game with electronic wotsit (technophobe moi?).  They haven't asked for it back, but I know it costs around 50 euros so I will be kind - eventually...... and it's only going to the Pas de Calais so not too scary postage cost-wise.

Lots of ice creams too ( my brats in heaven), boule set, dog (please god[+o(]) turds in tissue under the bed (possibly something for another thread!)

Fi

[quote user="Georgina"]

Lots of ice creams too ( my brats in heaven), boule set, dog (please god ]turds in tissue under the bed

Nope, sorry, dogs don't use tissues...... [:D]  Was it a french or english dog?

[/quote]

une chienne francaise

[quote user="DaveOlive"]

hi ok

2  brand new non stick frying pans  and  ...........................  an artificial leg complete with straps ..... and they came and left on a motor bike .......... ?????

It`s still kicking about here some where

Dave

[/quote]

Well, if he ever comes back for it, tell him to hoppit!!

After all he can't complain, he hasn't got a leg to stand on [6]