Internet Access

Jazzer

Yes we do for our guests in our gites. At first it was wi-fi but with walls being so thick we have now opted for ethernet.  A lot of work burying all the cables in the ground and not cheap to hire someone to install the box. 85% of guests bring their laptop with them on holiday.

Yes, we do too. Wi-Fi wasn't reliable (thick walls etc as already mentioned) and we opted for Wall-plugged Ethernet (CPL in France), whereby the mains sockets are used and the signal travels via the mains wiring. Ours are Netgear and good for 85mps.

This year more guests have brought their laptops, but I advertsie the facility so they're probably bringing them in repsonse to that rather than just bringing them in hope!

I can't go away without my laptop but my wife thinks I'm sad! [geek]

Sid

I offer it too, and it is used a hell of a lot. Access is free and unlimited. It is mentioned on the website and many guests are very happy to have this service.

Despite the usual thick walls, wifi passes very well for some reason, although I bought an aftermarket modem/router and ditched the livebox, so that maybe helped.

I also have a desktop PC installed in the comunal games room, which has net access too.

I do offer it but it has only ever been used by one family.

Actually, the two teenage boys spent a fortnight  hunched over their laptops whilst their parents did the holiday thing [:)].

The village has a library with PCs and internet access, so I will push that first and my wifi access second...

I provide internet access via ethernet cabling and then a borne in each of the gîtes (signal wouldn't travel from my router through the metre thick granite walls). Not every guest brings their laptop with them, but I've certainly had bookings I wouldn't have got if I didn't provide internet access, many of them for shoulder season. I wouldn't stay anywhere without it as I need access for my business and my iPhone isn't practical for long emails. Here is a list of the most requested search terms from one of the biggest UK rental listing sites - internet access is in the top 10.

1. Pool

2. Air conditioning

3. Balcony/terrace

4. Pet friendly

5. Garden

6. Barbecue

7. Cot

8. Jacuzzi

9. Internet access

10. Smoking allowed

Hmm, right up there with smoking.

Here are the results of a poll I took amonst visitors.

"Very important, it's one of the main features we look for."
5 of 34 total votes (14.7%)

"Important, we occasionally need to use the internet."
10 of 34 total votes (29.4%)

"Handy, but not a major concern."
11 of 34 total votes (32.4%)

"It's a holiday!"
8 of 34 total votes (23.5%)

[quote user="nimportequoi"]I provide internet access via ethernet cabling and then a borne in each of the gîtes (signal wouldn't travel from my router through the metre thick granite walls). Not every guest brings their laptop with them, but I've certainly had bookings I wouldn't have got if I didn't provide internet access, many of them for shoulder season. I wouldn't stay anywhere without it as I need access for my business and my iPhone isn't practical for long emails. Here is a list of the most requested search terms from one of the biggest UK rental listing sites - internet access is in the top 10.

1. Pool

2. Air conditioning

3. Balcony/terrace

4. Pet friendly

5. Garden

6. Barbecue

7. Cot

8. Jacuzzi

9. Internet access

10. Smoking allowed

[/quote]

[Www]Crikey! we can only offer two off that list, No.5 and No.7[blink]

The list is from a predominantly UK listing site, other nationalies have different requirements. For the biggest US listing site the search crieteria is:

1. Pool

2. Hot tub

3. Pet friendly

4. TV

5. Tennis

6. Internet

7. Jacuzzi tub

8. Pool table

9. Fireplace

10. Porch

For French, German and Dutch clientèle, the list will be different again,