Did 2009 actually turn out to be a bad one for Gites/CdH's ?

baypond

[quote user="LEO"]People with gites who have done badly ,are less likely to post!

[/quote]

Well I didn't have a brilliant year (20 weeks ish between 2 gites), edit:  so far, but it was our first year, so am quietly optimistic...  Full for Christmas/New Year, and some for the Feb holidays 2010.

Fi

People with gites who have done badly ,are less likely to post

True, but it is still interesting to see that those that have been busy seem to have done particularly well not just relying on UK bookings. Also that on the whole gites seem to have done better than B and B

It is a shame when more outspoken forum members dissappear. It dilutes the content. Why is it that the more outspoken people tend to leave in a huff though? They make comments because they want to have their argument heard, or to get a reaction, and then seem to be surprised when people come back at them. Usually the most outspoken people I have met in life, enjoy the controversy of making what most would consider an outlandish statement.

Now going completely off-topic [:$], but maybe because a forum such as this offers some anonymity so the normally mild-mannered amongst us let rip, when they would normally have a more tempered world view when talking to real people, and they can't cope with the criticism/disapprobation????

Anyway, for me, this year in the gites not as truly awful as expected.  But all French/Belgian - only one lot of Brits and two German parties.

Fi

[quote user="baypond"]People with gites who have done badly ,are less likely to post

True, but it is still interesting to see that those that have been busy seem to have done particularly well not just relying on UK bookings. Also that on the whole gites seem to have done better than B and B
[/quote]

I just did quick report from our bookings system for 2009 with all bookings that we have had and are curently reserved and there are 795 nights spread over 4 rooms which equates to running 4 gites all of which being full for 28 weeks but of course with a lot more work.

I was thinking about cooking and out of those nights 623 were for half board and there are two people to a room which means I have cooked 1,246 meals at 20 Euros per head or will have done by the time I close my door.

I wish all the gîte owners the best possible season to come, given that I have had two very positive experiences this year in very different types of offer, but both first-class value.

Sorry about starting that about jon...I too didn't know he was a past member and would not wish to make comments about someone who is no longer present to answer back..

Well done Q! That is an incredible amount of work. This was our first full year with GdF, we're Ch D'h and it's been our best yet with only 2 Brit couples for the whole season. All the rest were french with a sprinkling of Belge and germans. We were winding down for Sept ,but as the weather is continuing to be pleasant the last minuters are booking. Table d'hote has also taken off this year and we had a bit of a celebration when we'd reached the 100th meal! nothing like yours, but we're v happy.

We thought earlier in the year that this would probably be our worst year but it worked out to be our best year so far on weeks booked out but we managed 64 weeks over 5 gites. It was not our best year money wise as we did have to discount by a fair amount as it got closer to the summer but we thought that we could not take the chance and leave them at full price as it was better to get some one in than a property empty.

We went with a French advertiser for this year as well as our uk based one and we did get a lot more French, German & Belgians and if we had not gone with the new company this year would have been a disaster for us. It is our only income and you just cannot advertise to the brit market alone anymore. We get a fair amount more from the French etc as they pay Euro's so I would love to fill the place with them if we could and then we may get a better income for the year. Also they leave the places a lot cleaner.

We are not in the best place for tourists but if people want a great family place with guaranteed peice & quiet then we can give them that and they really do seem to like it that they can really chill out and the kids have lots to do here. Anyway here's to a even better year next year 'I have my fingers crossed'. All the best.[:)] 

Just want to say "thank you" to Chancer for speaking up on my behalf and to say "bravo" to Rose for sticking up for jon.  And, anyway, far from saying anything derogatory about jon, I was trying to say to people to leave him alone.

Norman is right in that we don't know when people leave the Forum, perhaps there should be a post by a mod when someone does leave formally, then we'd all know not to talk about them.

As for gite and CdH owners, it's good to hear that they are doing well; it is indeed cheering to hear about things that work out rather than about the misery of things going awry.

So here's a cheer to all of you in the hospitality business [B]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Just want to say "thank you" to Chancer for speaking up on my behalf and to say "bravo" to Rose for sticking up for jon.  And, anyway, far from saying anything derogatory about jon, I was trying to say to people to leave him alone.

[/quote]

To be fair, when people decide to leave the forum, it is normally done as discreetly as possible.  Jon made her decision to leave, we respected the privacy of her decision. 

But I would like to echo Sweets' wishes to all in the hospitality business [:)]

[quote user="water rat"]Well done Q! That is an incredible amount of work. This was our first full year with GdF, we're Ch D'h and it's been our best yet with only 2 Brit couples for the whole season. All the rest were french with a sprinkling of Belge and germans. We were winding down for Sept ,but as the weather is continuing to be pleasant the last minuters are booking. Table d'hote has also taken off this year and we had a bit of a celebration when we'd reached the 100th meal! nothing like yours, but we're v happy.[/quote]

No meals tonight.

I have always said its good to be with either GDF or Clevacances or even both, it widens your advertising dramatically and to be honest has come up trumps this year.

Looking through my figures, including current confirmed reservations till the end of October, we have had our second best year to date since we started (the best was 2007) which is quite outstanding considering all the doom and gloom at the beginning of the year plus the fact there now seems to be a CDH round every corner. I also have the highest amount of confirmed bookings for next year at this time of the year which may indicate that next year might be quite good although its far too early to say really. Perhaps I am being over optimistic.

I think it probably depends on the region.

We have two apartments in Bagneres de Luchon in the Midi Pyrenees. One rents out for 42 weeks each year and this year looks the same because it is in the centre close to skiing, walking and thermes.

The other we have only had for 18 months and this year is better than last year so far.

We also have a bed and breakfast and bookings are definitely up this year to date - only 4 weeks without any guests at all.

We do advertise extensively though and it does cost but certainly not a gloomy year.

Regards.